www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 31st, 2010, 22:13   #211
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

This is what I'm talking about in my previous post. The snorkel has two openings, one at the top left of the grill and one from the engine side. instead of removing the snorkel, just block off the intake on the grill side so the air only comes from the engine side.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2010, 22:19   #212
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dobro View Post
This is what I'm talking about in my previous post. The snorkel has two openings, one at the top left of the grill and one from the engine side. instead of removing the snorkel, just block off the intake on the grill side so the air only comes from the engine side.
Funny....folks in cold regions often put pipe insulation in the slats of their grille in the wintertime. We may be doing a 'snorkel mod' in the wintertime as well.
Old December 31st, 2010, 23:31   #213
itchytweed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well, the outside louvers can be blocked with a piece of shipping tape, or use the removable window seal tape as well. IIRC, the airbox is open to the front and to the rear and acts like a foreign object separator (rain / bugs / ...). Once the engine is warm and the radiator starts putting out heat, I wonder if the reverse may happen...instead of too cold air getting to the IC, now maybe air that is too warm may get there. Even though providing warmer air increases its ability to hold moisture, if the IC is cooling down past the dewpoint, condensation still could take place, unless the IC can't cool the air down that quickly. Also, nothing is being done about the moisture supply coming from the pre-IC EGR system (and probably can't because of the Ever Present A**hats (EPA).

Just thought of a possible benefit here...would the warmer air supply help with fuel mileage or would the IC be able to cool the air down far enough to kill that off.
VCDS (HEX-USB+CAN)
itchytweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:25   #214
itchytweed
Veteran Member

Well, Happy New Year!

Now that our nice weather from yesterday (rain / dense fog / 50's) has been exchanged for weather in the 20's and dropping to the low teens, I think that I am going to do a VCDS recording run with the external airbox grille closed up and run a log on all the intake air variables that can be recorded. Then let the car cool off and do the same thing, over the same route and compaire numbers. May not prove jack but it is more info into the problem. Besides, it gets me out of the house...
VCDS (HEX-USB+CAN)
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:10   #215
flylow2
Veteran Member

Forewarned and wanting to be forearmed my question is this: If I run into this problem where there is a hydrolock or near hydrolock condition, I know to suspect intercooler hose water/ice and water ingestion into the cylinder. Does it make sense to remove the glow plugs and crank to clear the water? I sure don't want to bend a connecting rod trying to force a rough start that is likely an intercooler ice/melt situation.
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:43   #216
itchytweed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchytweed View Post
Well, Happy New Year!

Now that our nice weather from yesterday (rain / dense fog / 50's) has been exchanged for weather in the 20's and dropping to the low teens, I think that I am going to do a VCDS recording run with the external airbox grille closed up and run a log on all the intake air variables that can be recorded. Then let the car cool off and do the same thing, over the same route and compaire numbers. May not prove jack but it is more info into the problem. Besides, it gets me out of the house...
Well, blocking the outside air made no difference in the intake air temperature, as reported by VCDS with the car working. I was comparing the MFI reported temp to the VCDS report of intake air and they were just about the same. Blocking the forward intake grille with tape should have been the same as pulling the snorkeling from the airbox, as suggested in other posts. The only time I saw the air temp go up was in the garage after the run, sitting still and idling.

While thinking about it, because of the LPEGR moisture, you would have to keep the intercooler temp above the combined dewpoint somehow. Since there is no measurement of air dewpoint, this may be a tough nut to crack so it will be interesting to see how VW solves the issue.
VCDS (HEX-USB+CAN)
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:04   #217
Jack Frost
Veteran Member

Quote:
Since there is no measurement of air dewpoint, this may be a tough nut to crack so it will be interesting to see how VW solves the issue.
I think that VW should engineer a little flapper at the bottom of the cold side of the intercooler. Every once in a while, it could open and the pressure inside the intercooler would allow whatever liquid goo that accumulates there to blow out. Call it a "hankerchief" feature.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 (gone but not forgotton)
Jack Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:16   #218
nhdoc
Veteran Member

I have posted this on the MKV board too but some people don't monitor more than one:

Since we had temps in the 40's this morning I decided to have a look at the intercooler hoses on my '10 Jetta. It had about 1-2 tablespoons of what I would call emulsified oil in the passenger side hose and just a film on the driver's side. No real water to speak of which was a relief. I cleaned both hoses out.

I noticed that the metal sleeve fitting which attaches the hose to the IC was loose and wobbly on the driver's side while the passenger side snapped on much more firmly and was tight on the IC's pipe.

Both sides had the rubber seal seated in the ridge but I can't imagine the driver's side was making an air-tight pressure seal. In fact the driver's side had evidence of seepage of the oily residue at the outside on the bottom of the sleeve before I removed it while the passenger side was clean. Has anyone else observed a problem with the seal on that side of the IC or is mine special?

Last edited by nhdoc; January 1st, 2011 at 10:54.
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:35   #219
El Dobro
Veteran Member

The seal on the driver's side of the IC is the same with mine. There's been less leakage since I removed and cleaned the seal before reinstalling everything.
Old January 1st, 2011, 09:59   #220
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
The seal on the driver's side of the IC is the same with mine. There's been less leakage since I removed and cleaned the seal before reinstalling everything.
Thanks. I also was more careful about aligning the hose so that it lined up as well as possible with the IC and therefore was less off-center which helped a little but it definitely has a different feel than on the passenger side.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:01   #221
itchytweed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
I think that VW should engineer a little flapper at the bottom of the cold side of the intercooler. Every once in a while, it could open and the pressure inside the intercooler would allow whatever liquid goo that accumulates there to blow out. Call it a "hankerchief" feature.
I can see it now...

I get out of the car in the garage..."Gretchen, you have that odor about you again." (From the DPF doing its job...same odor as my self-cleaning oven makes during one of its cleaning cycles). Now, it can be "Gretchen, you left a pile for me. How quaint." Another scene that came to mind is when Col. Potter was given a horse in his office and he slid on a "road apple" and went down and me repeating the same.
VCDS (HEX-USB+CAN)
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:16   #222
bustNfuel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39-42
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
I noticed that the metal sleeve fitting which attaches each hose to the IC was loose and wobbly on the driver's side while the passenger side snapped on much more firmly and was tight on the IC's pipe.

Both sides had the rubber seal seated in the ridge but I can't imagine the driver's side was making an air-tight pressure seal. In fact the driver's side had evidence of seepage of the oily residue at the outside on the bottom of the sleeve before I removed it while the passenger side was clean. Has anyone else observed a problem with the seal on that side of the IC or is mine special?
nhdoc, see my post, number 188, in this thread. I too found my driver's side clamp, the one with the wire snap ring, to be quite loose. And some oily residue leaking from the connection.

bustNfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:41   #223
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustNfuel View Post
nhdoc, see my post, number 188, in this thread. I too found my driver's side clamp, the one with the wire snap ring, to be quite loose. And some oily residue leaking from the connection.
Seems to be "typical" of our engines to have that particular connection be loose like that. I will probably try to make it better next time I have a reason to drop the belly pan. I had considered adding an o-ring around the IC tube where it tapers to meet the metal sleeve which would probably fix it and provide an air-tight seal.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:57   #224
GraniteRooster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 41 Winter | 45 Summer
Talking Happy New Year

Quote:
Well, blocking the outside air made no difference in the intake air temperature, as reported by VCDS with the car working. I was comparing the MFI reported temp to the VCDS report of intake air and they were just about the same. Blocking the forward intake grille with tape should have been the same as pulling the snorkeling from the airbox, as suggested in other posts. The only time I saw the air temp go up was in the garage after the run, sitting still and idling.

While thinking about it, because of the LPEGR moisture, you would have to keep the intercooler temp above the combined dewpoint somehow. Since there is no measurement of air dewpoint, this may be a tough nut to crack so it will be interesting to see how VW solves the issue.
Itchy - thanks for the report!! That is interesting info to have - I may just need to look into a VCDS for my shop.

And - Happy New Year to All - I am glad we are all making good sport of reverse engineering VW's car for them this New Year's morning . Thanks for all the useful discussion.

GraniteRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 11:31   #225
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
Seems to be "typical" of our engines to have that particular connection be loose like that. I will probably try to make it better next time I have a reason to drop the belly pan. I had considered adding an o-ring around the IC tube where it tapers to meet the metal sleeve which would probably fix it and provide an air-tight seal.
I've wondered if that's part of the seal design, where it closes when pressurized, then relaxes when the engines off to allow the oil mist to seep out. I would imagined the seal would have been spring loaded if that's not the case. The passenger side doesn't do that though, so maybe not. You just never know with VW.