www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old December 21st, 2010, 20:59   #166
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHall View Post
Did you take apart the passenger side hose as well? That is where you will find the water, oil, and "Snot"

From your pictures it looks like you only removed the inlet/drivers side.

Haha no I did not, I looked right at it and was thinking about doing it but then stopped and went home. I can take it off tomorrow and see what comes out.
It just seems nuts that further north there are more issues but it is a lot colder.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:44   #167
740GLE
Veteran Member

Yesterday after work, I went to start mine, GP cycled no problem, cranked it over, it caught like normal, ran for 2 seconds, stumbled and died, tried again, this time couldn't get it to catch and run, 4th time it was able to stumble to life and ran rough for 5 seconds, then ran like normal. No MIL no CEL.

Kicker, this evening was the first time in about a week or two temps were above freezing at 35. Last run was for 7 miles for 15 min, temps came up to 190. Pervious run was for 45-60 min running around town temps at 28 and spitting snow.

I called Baranger VW, in Rodchester NH, will be taking it there this afternoon to see if and DTC are stored, and try and convince them to document this case and crack open the intercooler. From talking to them on the phone, sounds like they won't do anything without a code that they could bill warranty. I had a previous case like this documented with them last Feb, but nothing was done as no code was stored.

Yeah I could crack it open myself and inspect/clean, but I'd like to put pressure on VWoA on this. If anyone has any paperwork from the dealer they could fax me shoot me a PM and I'd be very happy.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:02   #168
Carphuntin_god
Veteran Member

K.... I have a dumb thought. with all the product providers out there, wonder if someone could make a clear piece of pipe to replace the stock ic pipe. if not perfectly clear... just something if you got a bright enough light on it, you could see inside.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:04   #169
740GLE
Veteran Member

it'd probably be coated with fine mist within a few 100 miles and look black as stock.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:25   #170
GraniteRooster
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '12 JSW 6MT
Fuel Economy: 41 Winter | 45 Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
Yesterday after work, I went to start mine, GP cycled no problem, cranked it over, it caught like normal, ran for 2 seconds, stumbled and died, tried again, this time couldn't get it to catch and run, 4th time it was able to stumble to life and ran rough for 5 seconds, then ran like normal. No MIL no CEL.

Kicker, this evening was the first time in about a week or two temps were above freezing at 35. Last run was for 7 miles for 15 min, temps came up to 190. Pervious run was for 45-60 min running around town temps at 28 and spitting snow.

I called Baranger VW, in Rochester NH, will be taking it there this afternoon to see if and DTC are stored, and try and convince them to document this case and crack open the intercooler. From talking to them on the phone, sounds like they won't do anything without a code that they could bill warranty. I had a previous case like this documented with them last Feb, but nothing was done as no code was stored.

Yeah I could crack it open myself and inspect/clean, but I'd like to put pressure on VWoA on this. If anyone has any paperwork from the dealer they could fax me shoot me a PM and I'd be very happy.
Dude, you gotta be kidding me. Another one??!! Right here in NH? We need to talk. PM Sent.

GraniteRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:14   #171
740GLE
Veteran Member

Got the paperwork, will keep you posted what we find in the IC.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:19   #172
KraftwerkB6
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 JSW

Ill bring mine in and check the pass side intercooler pipe, i hope there is some thing at least in there besides some oil.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:56   #173
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37
Default not an epidemic but...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...&postcount=100
Old December 22nd, 2010, 13:28   #174
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftwerkB6 View Post
Ill bring mine in and check the pass side intercooler pipe, i hope there is some thing at least in there besides some oil.
The check I just did was the 4th time for my car and there was goop in there every time.
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 14:17   #175
RPS99SHO
Veteran Member

My car is in for the 20k service as we speak. The service advisor agreed to have the tech check for water in the intercooler. The SA had heard of this issue.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 22nd, 2010, 14:53   #176
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

If it were me I would poke a hole in the lower intercooler connection that is small enough to not be a huge boost leak, but big enough to pass some fluid under boost. but thats just me.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 15:02   #177
RPS99SHO
Veteran Member

Just got back from the service. There was no ice or water buildup in my intercooler, just the usual gooky crap. Nothing out of the ordinary. Also no metal in the fuel filter. Sweet.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 22nd, 2010, 16:14   #178
HeAvYfUeL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Fuelly signature --->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
If it were me I would poke a hole in the lower intercooler connection that is small enough to not be a huge boost leak, but big enough to pass some fluid under boost. but thats just me.
That's the same as with the big marine diesel engines I used to work on. The air intake collector has a small drain pipe on the lowest point, always blowing a little air. In case you are in very humid air with a too low air inlet temperature you will see water mist blowing from the pipe.

On of the reasons to prevent hydro locking a diesel engine is to start a marine diesel for a few revolutions on air with the indicator cocks open to blow of any possible (cooling)water that might have leaked into the cylinder during stand-still.
HeAvYfUeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 16:26   #179
nhdoc
Veteran Member

Personally I don't see why "oily snot" is normal at all. The intake air is supposed to be clean. They shouldn't be mixing EGR with it if that is the source and I would bet if they are sending EGR through the intercooler it is the source of 90% of the humidity too.

The only other source of oil would be what little sneaks past the turbo seals, but given how little oil these motors consume I would bet that is not the source of the stuff we're seeing.

Can anyone pinpoint the exact point of entry of EGR into the fresh air intake?
nhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 17:19   #180
El Dobro
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 115 MPGe

Does anyone know where the CCV feeds into the intake?
Now, I drive more, worry less.
Penguin -The other white meat.
El Dobro is offline   Reply With Quote