Steering Play

Steve777

Veteran Member
I've noticed some vibration and "looseness" in the steering recently on my 97 Passat.

Last weekend, when I had the front end up for an oil change, I did a quick check for obvious wear items. The passenger side wheel did seem to have some play in it (side to side, in the direction of steering). Not alot, maybe 1/8" at the wheel edge. Driver's side seem tight.

I tried to locate the source of this play, ball joint, and steering joint seem tight. It appeared that the play was in the rod going into the steering R&P. But there is no play on the other end, the right side. Is this possible? Are the two control arms just opposite ends of one rod inside the R&P or are they independant?

And I suppose I should ask, does this mean I am looking for a new R&P, or are there wear items on the outside of the R&P that might be causing this looseness?

TIA

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Tie rod inner end wear is very common and wear on only one side only is not uncommon (there are two tie rods, each with an inner and outer end). Repair consists of replacement of the tie rod which includes the integral inner end.

Be aware that steering looseness can also be caused by loose R&P mounting bolts and this should be checked before replacing the tie rods.

The least likely cause is excessive gear lash resulting from a worn or misadjusted rack pre-loader. Its normal, after 10+ years, to have slight lash, experienced as a light knocking when turning the wheel back and forth quickly when at rest. But its typically not worth trying to readjust it because its contribution to steering looseness is very small.

Steve777

Veteran Member
Thanks Chris.

Probably should have realized that there was an inner tie rod joint of some sort to handle the vertical movement of the wheel assembly. That sounds like the culprit here.

Anyone know if the new tie rod comes with a new boot for the rack end, or is that a separate part?

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Steve777 said:
Thanks Chris.

Probably should have realized that there was an inner tie rod joint of some sort to handle the vertical movement of the wheel assembly. That sounds like the culprit here.

Anyone know if the new tie rod comes with a new boot for the rack end, or is that a separate part?
Boot is usually separate. You usually don't have to replace it. Only need to if it's damaged. They're cheap, though. Not a bad idea to have it on hand just in case the old one does end up being bad and you weren't able to see it while it was still installed...