MK4 jetta trunk doesnt unlatch on door switch

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Hi ya'll... I had the drivers door panel off my jetta the other day to change out the door card from cloth to leather. Ever since then the trunk does not open with the door switch, only if you manually open it by turning with the key. Any ideas what may be wrong or what I maybe missed? I double checked its plugged in tight and nothing happened to the wiring that I know of when I had it apart. Fuel door part of it works just fine, its only the trunk. Thanks ahead

Drew222

TDI
1999 Mk4 jetta ALH DQY 5 speed
When you hit the switch can you hear the latch actuator in the truck work?, when you say you need to use your key in the truck lid are you just bumping it to where the actuator opens it or are you turning the key beyond the first stage to actually pop the truck manually through the linkages with the key?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
1st, do you hear it when you pull the button? (As mentioned)

2nd, pull the plastic cover and reconnect the little white plastic "cup" onto the metal ball, what i bet it is. (If i recall the connection correctly)

Had this randomly happen on my golf, and although I've never seen inside a jetta's trunk guts, i am willing to bet they are very similar.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
The actuator does not activate on the switch. Only when i turn the lock manually with the key. itaintrodknock, is that in the trunk or the door panel?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
https://youtu.be/inExw5OKang

Theres what the inside looks like.
The piece i was talking about is black actually, connects from the servo, by a metal rod to down toward the bottom latch part.

Anyways, id use that video, open it up and let us know what you find. White actuator not working or a piece popped off like i suggested? We will see.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Ok, I will have to check into it more when I get a chance, lol as if that ever happens! :( One thing I don't understand though, If the actuator doesn't react at all when I hit the switch but it does when I turn it with the key in the trunk, how can it be missing linkage? Doesn't it seem more like an electrical issue somewhere? especially beings I didn't mess with the trunk at all, other than trying to open it on the handle from the inside.. Not trying to be a pain in the butt but it doesn't quite make sense to me. Im not gonna pop my trunk apart if I can fix it with a switch in the door panel if ya know what I mean.....

~TDIguy~

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Sedan
Drew222, im just bumping it like a quarter turn to where the actuator opens it. no response though when moving the switch on the door panel.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Drew222, im just bumping it like a quarter turn to where the actuator opens it. no response though when moving the switch on the door panel.
You could use a multimeter and do resistance checks on the wire, take the plug off the switch and measure from door to trunk or use a paper clip to act as your switch.

Is there a relay in the mix? I've only had the plastic elbow break on mine and ended up making a metal one and works like a charm

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
Did you reuse the switch from your original panel or did the leather panel come with switches? I would start there if your panel came with switches.

I bought a used Jetta and nothing at the back worked from the door panel. The fuel door ended up being the door switch and the trunk ended up being all the wires in the wiring loom to the truck lid being broken where they always flexed.

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
What happens when you open the trunk with your keyfob? If that works, then most likely you need a new switch. (could be wiring also)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Is the trunk switch disable activated? The key slot by the trunk switch?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk