cigarette hole in the driver's side door panel!

almeizy

TDI
99.5 jetta tdi - cool white w/black interior, 5-speed
cigarette hole in the driver\'s side door panel!

im an idiot, today i burned the cloth on the driver's side door panel on my 99 vw jetta tdi mk4. the head fell off and burned a huge hole in it. dealer said i have to replace the entire door panel which costs 275.00 plus 100.00 for labor!?! ridiculous.... any suggestions? does anyone know of alternatives or a place where i can obtain the door panel cheap and install it myself? need suggestions, thinking maybe some aftermarket accessory??

VATechTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 Silver (RIP!)

Try the local salvage yard! I think they mostly have computerized inventories now, so you should be able to call and see if they have what you need.

-Tim

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch

A number of people have replaced the door panels with leather, so they might have one - though I'm sure they'd prefer to be rid of all four.

You should like Tim suggested be able to pick up a replacement for alot less....actually a quick check of www.car-parts.com for interior panels shows a range of prices from $50-$200.

Route 117 Used Auto Parts USA-MA(Lancaster) 1-888-747-1170, have a 1999 Front Door Trim Panel Volkswagen Jetta LH,BLK,VYN,PWR Stock# B0622 for $50, which is alot cheaper then $275.

As for installation, it can't be that hard, the Alientech window controller goes in the driver’s door, so these directions should help you do it http://irc.junglist.org/alientech/
If all else fails off up a six-pack! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

almeizy

TDI
99.5 jetta tdi - cool white w/black interior, 5-speed

is there any way possible to replace the cloth without replacing the door panel? i have the factory black cloth, not the velour one, the hard/rough one.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI

I work in the auto trim businiess, and it's not too surprising that the dealer said you'd have to replace the whole door panel. To reduce costs, we have to reduce the number of screws and nuts on our parts. It adds a lot in labor to hand-drive screws and nuts. Instead we use machines that essentially 'weld' the plastic of one part to the plastic of another part. The result is a lower-cost part, but one that you can't replace components on. I don't remember what the back of our VW door panels looks like, but the bolster is probably welded to the substrate. And even if you wanted to jury-rig it, VW most likely doesn't sell just the bolster as an end-item. The more replacement parts VW has to carry, the more expensive it is for them, so they carry as few as possible.