Extending range of keyless entry remote

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf - Gone in BUYBACK. Replaced with 2015 Golf
I had a look at the HOW TO for extending the range of the keyless remote but this doesn't seem to be applicable to my 99.5 Jetta. I took off all the necessary dash parts and the two wire plugs I have going in are a beige block of wires (on the left) and a blue plug connector on the right. In neither one of these do I see a clear cased copper wire that would be the infamous short antenna that I need to tap in to.

Has anyone performed this mod on a 99.5 Jetta? Just kind of stuck that the HOW TO perhaps let me a bit astray.

This was the one I tried but to no avail.....
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1484540&page=2

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
1. Face car
2. Open mouth wide
3. Place remote under chin
4. Push button

Sounds mighty crazy and looks totally retarded, but dang if it don't work.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
DoctorDawg said:
1. Face car
2. Open mouth wide
4. Push button

I know, I read here today that it works but I'd rather an alternative. I could choke on a bug or something.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
b1jackson said:
Thanks, I wonder if you could make Part No: 1JM 970 228 out of something. Just two non-connected wires perhaps? Would you want a short wire for the ground and the positive one being the longer one that you run up the A pillar for extended range?
Yes you may be able to make your own wire. Its the connector thought that is tricky to replicate. I believe the positive wire is the one that you want to run up the A pillar. I assume the other end of the ground wire just gounds to something. It doesn't need to be long.

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
For $7 at the dealer, I decided not to mess around with trying to make something up (the connectors would be problematic) and just ordered it. I got it today and its about 18 inches long. I soldered a long wire onto the + wire and I'll run this up along the pillar.

The guy at the service dept. had no idea what I was ordering when I gave him the part #. Also the technicians had no idea what it was either. Pretty simple fix for an annoying problem.

I now have all kinds of range! Thanks TDI club. This is an awesome under $10 and under 1/2 hour mod!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
b1jackson said:
I know, I read here today that it works but I'd rather an alternative. I could choke on a bug or something.
So don't open your mouth, it works just fine without the oral aperture.
Actually, I hadn't heard of opening the mouth technique, does that increase the range even further?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
Save looking like a dork and hook up an antenna. The holding to your throat thing is a bit better but not much. Maybe depends on how many dental fillings you have or metal plates in your head.:D

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
b1jackson said:
For $7 at the dealer, I decided not to mess around with trying to make something up (the connectors would be problematic) and just ordered it. I got it today and its about 18 inches long. I soldered a long wire onto the + wire and I'll run this up along the pillar.

The guy at the service dept. had no idea what I was ordering when I gave him the part #. Also the technicians had no idea what it was either. Pretty simple fix for an annoying problem.

I now have all kinds of range! Thanks TDI club. This is an awesome under $10 and under 1/2 hour mod!
So did that come with a ground wire or not? If it did where did you send the ground?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
yes, its a two wire cable. I basically replaced it with the part and in the exact manner of the VW bulletin that someone posted earlier. The negative plugged into one part of the harness and the positive on the other.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
DoctorDawg said:
1. Face car
2. Open mouth wide
4. Push button

This works best with a pointy tinfoil hat. Try it at a gtg and watch how well it works, especially after a few beers to help concentrate the brain waves.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
b1jackson said:
yes, its a two wire cable. I basically replaced it with the part and in the exact manner of the VW bulletin that someone posted earlier. The negative plugged into one part of the harness and the positive on the other.
Where did the other end of the negative go?

b1jackson

Veteran Member
TDI
egibbys said:
Where did the other end of the negative go?
There are two connectors (one + and one -) that snap into the harness plug. These wires are just tape wrapped into a plastic sleeve about 18 inches long. From the part received from the dealer, that is meant to be the whole antenna and you just strap that inside your dash as per the bulletin. I just pulled the tape of the plastic sleeve to access the + wire and I soldered onto it with a 6 foot extension. I guess the negative just stays taped up in the plastic sleeve. I tucked that portion under the dash and ran the 6' extension wire up and hidden in my pillar.

I don't believe the negative one is that important to ground as you would a typical ground (ie) to a clean metal surface. The part received from the dealer gave no option of this so I didn't bother with it.

Last edited:

Uncle Milty

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA GLS TDI
I did this to my 2001 and found little to no improvement. Bought a used fob from FleaBay and it had much better range.
After I washed the new fob with my jeans the range went down to about the same as the old one??
I think there may be a connection there somewhere!

Seriously.

Rual817

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI ALH
Saw another post, but try this before cutting. I only had a 10ft range with my remote. Found advice to extend range. Took everything apart, then decided to test range and get an effective range to compare. Plugged it back in and started testing while backing away. Suddenly 10ft was now 170ft when I finnally backed into a fence. Maybe the only prob is a bad connection. If not here is another site with good pics.
http://billswebspace.com/ExtendingMKIVKeyFobAntennaRange.htm

Phantomofheat

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Manual, 05 Passat
Bought a used fob from FleaBay and it had much better range. After I washed the new fob with my jeans the range went down to about the same as the old one??
I think there may be a connection there somewhere!
Have you tried to clean the FOB after this by removing the battery and spraying with electronics part cleaner or dip/soak it in high proof isopropyl let completely dry and try it.