Worn nozzles = cold start smokey and stutter?

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit GTD (future TDI)
So...what are the symptoms that anyone has seen with worn nozzles on a TDI engine. I have a friend in the area that has a car...not sure of how many miles are on the nozzles. But... on cold start he gets smoke and a stutter under revving and also on initial start off...as soon as things "clear out" its fine. You can feel this stutter under cold accel /load as well. peg it and after some smoke it cleans out... and eventually disappears...until shut down again and letting it sit for a while...
Smoke isn't blue... more of a grayish/bluish tinge. Injection timing is on, doesn't use oil (or doesn't seem to), intake is clean, etc.
The stutter was the give away to me...that things didn't sound healthy in the injectors themselves...

Joe

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Sounds like a possible fuel pump death is looming. Mine acted about like that for a while before is kicked off.

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope not...damn! no signs of leakage, bubbles, etc... plus...its a fairly new 11mm pump!
I was just going through the FAQ, could be an issue with nozzles/worn, etc. Though...fuel pump failure is possible as well :(

Joe

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Yes mine was bad at first smoked white/blue (almost liked burned oil) then cleared up, ran like a champ. Both times it just suddenly stopped running :(

RabbitGTDJoe

Veteran Member
TDI
did you just replace the pump or determine what was wrong with the pump (i.e. bad front seal? internals? something electronic inside?). Very interesting as it sounds similar to this situation...

We are talking injection pump here... not the fuel/assist pump right?
Maybe I can help him do a reseal on the pump. Weird...

Joe

Last edited:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Yes injection pump. I didn't get into it, it just suddenly quite and stoppoed pumping any amount of ppressurized fuel, it was like a geriatric dribble out of the injection pump both times. I sold my first dead pump to "Smog" Luc may have more info on th type of failure it had. My second one went back to vw for a core deposit. I have a new shiney 11mm pump on there now, should be good for at least 150k now :)