Rain-X window treatment Rain-X washer fluid

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I just bought both at Walmart..... small bottle of the classic Rain-X you apply direct to the window. I also bought for well under $3.00 a gallon of Rain-X windshield washer reservoir fluid "2 in 1". It is ORANGE in color so be sure not to mix it with your antifreeze (which is ORANGE I have been told).

I treated the window with the classic (clean, apply, haze, remove), BUT I may not use the fluid and return it. First my reservoir is full with new clean blue stuff (my car is still newish). May be double dipping Rain-X might be over kill. I read amazon and other reviews on retailer sites; it got good ratings, but some say it leaves some kind of residue and the first application it streaks. However a majority of reviews are positive, +4 out of 5 stars. The idea of using rain-X is in light rain, is so you can drive with out wipers on.....

ANY ONE USE THE FLUID? COMMENTS?

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
The biggest complaint I've read (and this applies to Rain-X in general, not just the washer fluid) is there's a build-up over time that appears different between the wiped and non-wiped areas of the windscreen.
That's been my experience -- with both the wipe-on Rain-X as well as the washer juice.

The non-wiped area gets a little hazy. You're basically putting a thin coat of plastic/wax on your windshield, and dust sticks to it.

So I don't use it anymore.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
Aquapel FTW.
I prefer aquapel as well. It costs lots more, but lasts lots longer. I also find I don't get the radar like hazing and glaring I get with with rainx on dark rainy nights which I have experienced on an older car. YMMV.

baglenn

TDI
2015 GLK 250
I made that mistake of putting the washer fluid in the radiator overfill tank. But I got it over to west Houston vw and they drained my radiator fluid and I just paid for new coolant 23 bux. I should be fine. They said it wouldn't hurt since washer fluid is water and alcohol.

Rauss

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI MKVI
One advice! Dont mix blue washer liquid with rain x one. Sometimes in mk4 car and some mk5, the rain x one(yellow for winter) will not be detected by the level sensor, resulting a disturbing yellow light for nothing in the dash.

Using Rain-x washer fluid with rain-x treatment will make it last longer.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
I remember when I 1st tried rainX about 25 years ago I hated it. Then a regular customer came in for an inspection and his wiper motor was missing. He said he uses rainx. I told him I had tried it and hated it. He said to apply as instructed then let him know. Back then I never read the back label. Glad I did. Love it ever since.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I recently tried the rain-x in the yellow spray bottle. I applied as directed, but really hate the haziness. I don't think that I'll use it again. My windshield is pretty old and pitted and I wonder if the haziness is worse for people with older windshields than new ones.