brand new to tdi and have a few questions about noises

tkniff18

TDI
2013 jetta TDI
Hey everyone, i just purchased my first tdi its a 2013 jetta tdi dsg it has 21000 miles on it. i have always driven gasoline vehicles in the past, so i am hearing a lot of new noises and sounds. the car runs amazing and is a joy to drive just never owning a tdi or any diesel powered anything prior i don't know what sounds/engine notes/noises are to be expected.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
To answer your question, yes, there will be sounds coming from your car. Sounds came standard on the 2013 model year.
Some of them are normal.

A good way to get an idea what is normal is to attend a regional get together with other TDIClub members so you can poke at, listen to, and smell their cars for comparison. Your profile lists your location as 'United States', so I'm not sure what regional forum to point you to... but they're here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

One item to keep in mind is that when you go to one of these get togethers there will be weather that day.

tkniff18

TDI
2013 jetta TDI
I am sorry guys for being so non descript there is a faint humming noise after I turn the vehicle off and what seems to be a release of air pressure both are very faint

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Chances are it's probably stepper motors recalibrating when the engine is shut down

Sent from my Current time and location

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Whenever I turn my car off after driving home 45 minutes in >95 F weather I hear what sounds a lot like an electric fan. Sometimes it stays on for 5 minutes.

whrrrrrr

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I've never worried about it. Electric fans on cars will turn on by themselves to help cool the car down after it is turned off (at least I know this is true on American cars).

tkniff18

TDI
2013 jetta TDI
Thanks guys like I said this is my first TDI so a lot of this is new to me. I love the car it's a pleasure to drive, it's just new to me maybe I am being over concerned

Serra

TDI
2014 Passat
Thanks guys like I said this is my first TDI so a lot of this is new to me. I love the car it's a pleasure to drive, it's just new to me maybe I am being over concerned
Actually, I think I know the noise you are speaking about. My cars sort of makes a "zzzzzzzzz click" sound after I shut it down. It sound to me like there is a robotic arm under the hood that is returning to its rest position. Not sure what it really is, but that is what I imagined the first time I heard it.

I don't think it is the fans, but it might be. On my other cars the fans had a deeper, thumper sound to them.

The only really noises you need to worry about are new noises. The after shutdown noises aren't a problem unless it is the fans, and they run for a while after you shut down. Then you might have cut off a regen. Personally I don't like to do that because everyone on the car is so hot in the regen.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
You guys are talking two completely different "sounds"
The clicking/buzzing sound is the stowed motors resetting themselves as the electric fans, well that an electric fan.
Sometimes of you interupt a regen cycle the car has to cool the engine down after it was interrupted , not recommended but normal.
Quick tip, if you stop and are ready to park the car for any period of time watch the tach. If its around 1000 rpm DO NOT turn off the engine or you will interupt the regen cycle. Let it run through and you will see the TPMS drop back down to 800 or so.
Read the 10 gazillion thread and posts for more info about the process if you re unclear.

Hope this helps....

Sent from my Current time and location

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Welcome to the club. There is a lot of knowledge already posted on the forums abouts almost everything. Some of these guys have stated what things are but haven't explained what the heck that means; you can use a search button to educate yourself on their keywords. Disrupting regeneration should be one, and learning what the process of regeneration is/ the effects of interrupting it regularly.

Since you are so new to the gang do a search for proper oil type for your vehicle.
Also, you can search more specific terms for your vehicle and just read random threads based on that year/generation; this would provide a better guess on keywords you need to learn and understand.

I love tdis but there is learning involved to get the best experience in the long run.
Hope you enjoy the car! If you ever need it looked over find yourself a guru, there is a list on here somewhere, if my only Internet access wasn't my phone alone I'd go track it down and link you.

Last edited: