New for me 2002 Jetta

INISLDR

TDI
2002 Jetta
Hello-

I have just acquired an '02 Jetta. My first impressions are its a great little car with incredible mileage. Unfortunately the previous owner lied and or hid some things. Said thier was new lower control arms and there were none. I did not pay asking price but still. Dishonest people. Anyway... The interior had some broken plastics and missing floor mats, no big deal. Then I find that the windshield washer nozzles are missing so then I really start looking. Hopefully I won't find to much more. Just did an oil and filter change yesterday at 159k.

The PO said that a timing belt had broken and that a new head, cam, water pump, belt and more was installed as the repair. Its obvious with the shiny new parts. The engine runs smooth and strong with 160k on the bottom end. Apparently the clutch was also done within the last 30k. But it could be the original. It shifts fine so its does not really matter at the moment. Thing is I have no idea how many miles are on these parts. There is also a cut wire in the engine bay below the black ball and inline with the right side of the head? Not sure where that used to go. I will post a pic when I can.

I am thinking about doing the belt and water pump for my own piece of mind. I am fine with the mechanical challenge, however I don't have the laptop setup to reset injectors. There is somebody close to me on the VCDS map so I will reach out to them.

I am looking at kits from idparts, boraparts, dieselgeek and metalman.

idparts has the cheaper toolkit and boraparts has a decent price on a complete belt kit. Is this a reasonable way to go? Is this a weekender to accomplish? I'm also looking for a set of pdf instructions if anybody has a link. I will use the search as well but thank you for any input...

Kristian

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It is a weekend job if you are half-way cognizant of what has to be done and why. Having a good set of hand tools is helpful as well for the first timer. The Gurus travel with a little toolbox since they know exactly what they need, but the first time around, you will be searching for the right combination of socket and extension.

There is a long PDF at the very top of the page under Articles. You want the ALH flavor.

Good luck and if you can't find the answer, ask away.

INISLDR

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thank you for the responses. I will dl the pdf's and start reading up. I just moved down from Anchorage and people there were not so quick to feed you a line of bs. I talked to a local shop and they said that it is common for the water pump to start leaking before the belt goes. They also said that the VCDS is not always required? Fellow told me that its good to verify settings before and after doing the work though. I see there are varying opinions about that. I want to do it the best way possible.

After unexpectedly needing to spend 8k on a 7.3 Powerstroke rebuild I'm not going to cut any corners. Its just not worth it.

I'm in Sheridan, but yes I will update my profile. I just got a job in Sacramento so I will be commuting 45 miles each way. Having this thing in reliable running order is a priority.

I did not even see the ARTICLES tab at the top, thank you. I will be diving in tonight. I need to find some windshield washer nozzles and figure out how to repair or replace the center console/armrest that has collapsed and broken off.

Then I'll think about going through the suspension this fall. I noticed that the rubber bushing in the control arms are cracked and eroding.

Thank you again for the responses.

The mystery part that I found floating around on top of the control arm...Clamshell looking thing. Maybe somebody can ID this for me. Looks like a protective cover of some kind.

Also here is the cut wire you can see behind the Vacuum reservoir.
Does anybody know where this wire used to go?

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
That goes over the AC hoses on the passenger side fire wall.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
You will need for us to see more of the wire to assist you. Perhapr it is the glow plug harness which as been replaced.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
that is the original glow plug wires. Replacing the harness has you cut off original harness and overlay the new harness.

that clamshell covers the expansion valve where the AC lines pass through the fire wall.

INISLDR

TDI
2002 Jetta
Ok so just so I understand you, when the glow plug harness is replaced part of it stays behind and the new one plugs in around it? The factory harness can then be cut off?

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I think the clamshell part is a critical piece of the dual inline ifiniferator that works to feed the spark plug assembly.

(Then again, I could be mistaken.)

Nice find! Welcome to California, enjoy the heat.

INISLDR

TDI
2002 Jetta
I find the heat more tolerable than I thought I would having just moved form Anchorage. They have already had two frosts this month. I will miss it but its nice to have four seasons again although some rain would be nice lol.

ibyte

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi gls sedan 5spd
Sheridan, Placer Co., CA?
I live in roseville not too far from you.
I have the timing belt tools and VCDS (not sure how to use it)
And have so far done 2 timing belts in my 2000 jetta tdi and recently front suspension.
have some spares in case you need them - check out sacwater.com but not much tdi specific threads.