Ultimate cup holder mod for B4 Passats, Just say no to the 71.00 VW cup holder!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
damn, this is the same piece as found in the rear of our MBz wagon! :eek:

don6015

I am interested in possibly buying one of these but I like talking on the phone better than the computer. Please email me with your phone number: don6015@cox.net. Thanks.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
A DOG FOOD bag broke mine during a recent rescue transport! Good timing on this!

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Auto Sedan
Could I install these on an A4 without issue? I figure I would drillsome holes in the plastic, slide a U-style speed nut on the holes, and screw them down?
I ask because I have gauges and an expensive cd player that I don't want drinks above. (or obscuring)

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
You can install it on any car without issue if you have a spot big enough and flat enough to mount it. It comes with all the locating holes undrilled. If you need some measurements of it I can do that for you.
Ray

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Ray: [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dimensions (closed) are approximately 4 3/4" wide by 4" deep by 1 1/2" high.
Thanks, I found it on the website. Hopefully in a week or two we'll get pics of the first A4 with these cupholders :)
[/FONT]

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Keep in mind that this position is the reason so many of the originals were crushed - moving the seat when open wipes them out. Also, getting in and kicking it, etc. Not be best spot if you have a passenger.

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
Ray_G said:
A picture of the guilty party............
Wow is the guilty party part wolf? From the looks of the photo it looks like he likes to destroy more then cup holders. What’s he headed for now…the passengers side front fender? Where are you going to find $13 plastic front fenders? Must get expensive owning that dog.

BTW great post thanks. It’s usually a passenger who steps on mine…and it’s usually my wife. So…this is a big help, last time she felt so bad she went to the Stealer and ordered one. I'll remember this next time, and you know there will be a next time. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Buy a spare and let her replace it - it will take away the guilt.

Fortuna Wolf

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm, I went out and took a look at my car today. The plastic section is angled downwards about 15*. Is it the same on the passats? I am thinking I would need to make a custom bracket too...

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
I bought 2 for my B4. They are the best working items on the car :)

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Sorry, inability to handle a cup with a handle makes it a deal-killer.

I do like how they are so low profile when closed.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
Chubber said:
Sorry, inability to handle a cup with a handle makes it a deal-killer.

I do like how they are so low profile when closed.
I put travel mugs in with handles. I don't suppose it would take a regular house coffee mug, but then why would you do that?

SamSlick77

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI (new to me 2008)
I'm honestly trying to figure out how you can reach your cup of coffee way over there past the gearshift, and avoid offending your passenger's knees (or maybe that's the idea ;). I have a 2005 Jetta TDI MT, which has cupholder holes in the center console right behind the gearshift which I find awkward enough, but won't break. For comfort in access to my cup, I would think these "ultimates" should be mounted above the stereo on the front of dash. Or in case of spillage on stereos, maybe to the left side on top of dash by the door? Are these possible mount locations?

But I did read in the VW manual....no hot drinks in cupholders! Danger! ;0)

Steve
05 Jetta TDI, as of October 2008 and lovin' it!

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
SamSlick77 said:
I'm honestly trying to figure out how you can reach your cup of coffee way over there past the gearshift, and avoid offending your passenger's knees (or maybe that's the idea ;). I have a 2005 Jetta TDI MT, which has cupholder holes in the center console right behind the gearshift which I find awkward enough, but won't break. For comfort in access to my cup, I would think these "ultimates" should be mounted above the stereo on the front of dash. Or in case of spillage on stereos, maybe to the left side on top of dash by the door? Are these possible mount locations?

But I did read in the VW manual....no hot drinks in cupholders! Danger! ;0)

Steve
05 Jetta TDI, as of October 2008 and lovin' it!
I have no problems reaching it. It's in the same place as the original. I must have looong arms.

phillke

TDI
1996 passat b4 now with 376,000 mi
thanks for the tip

order and installed 2 of these ultimate cup holders for a 1996 passat tdi. both in the same spot as the previous. very sturdy and was a great upgrade.

thanks

bobby638

TDI
A 95 PASSAT TDI I MADE
mine was twice the victim of a nalgelene water bottle
first the one side , oops it broke let me try the other side
why did it break
now im left with a tray that wont stay closed

shes an ex girlfriend for so many other reasons though

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i like the previous owner's solution to the cup holder in our passat...

a bicycle waterbottle cage... bolted right up... there is just one, but plenty of room for two and well - it works great... esp since i'm not traveling with coffee anymore, just waterbottles...

will try and remember to get a picture

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GeWilli said:
a bicycle waterbottle cage... bolted right up...
That is elegant. Can't be "closed" to keep out of the way of the passenger, but should not really be "in the way" over that far. If it gets bumped, it won't break. Probably comes in nice colors too.