Did the dealership change my oil and filter?

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
Big deal. So what. Your oil ain't black yet. <yawn>. Salsaman... if you are so interested in why diesel oil turns black... use a search engine. I'm watching ICE ROAD TRUCKERS ! ! ! #dieselpower

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Big deal. So what. Your oil ain't black yet. <yawn>. Salsaman... if you are so interested in why diesel oil turns black... use a search engine. I'm watching ICE ROAD TRUCKERS ! ! ! #dieselpower
Never said I was interested in "why" oil gets black. I already know. I was asking what you meant by "black" since thats very subjective. What's black to one person may not be the same to another. I was merely pointing out to the OP that there is possibly another side to consider to the "absolute" statements you and others have made about the "when" given that "black" can be subjective.

Last edited:

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
When I got my oil changed, it was black before I went in. When i checked the levels before driving off the lot after my 10k service, it was a dark brown color. By time I made the 25 mile drive home, it was very much on it's way to black. That was my experience.

I'm almost ready to get my 20k service performed by the dealer. Maybe I'll take some before and after picks, if I think about it.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
When i can finger paint like using a sharpie, change it.

If it leaves brown around the edges , it's still got another 1k to go.

Haha.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I would be concerned. The new oil in my wife's b4 doesn't turn black for a few hundred miles and none of our old clanky, leaky, high mileage B4's would turn the oil black in 5 miles. No way.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I check mine when I get home, so on my 20k after 25 miles it was still pretty golden.
Question, has anyone noticed a lot of road grit around the oil fill cap? I had to add a quart ( shocking in its own ) and their was so much grit around the cap threads and even on the caps rubber washer I had to clean it out before adding oil.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
.....Question, has anyone noticed a lot of road grit around the oil fill cap? I had to add a quart ( shocking in its own ) and their was so much grit around the cap threads and even on the caps rubber washer I had to clean it out before adding oil.

Yes I've noticed this as well. I always clean the area well at each change. The dirt is coming in just under the front lip of the hood. There's no gasket there. I've owned other vehicles that have had a gasket there that kept the dirt from collecting on top of the engine.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
One of many reasons I do my own maintenance. All u need is a $40 plastic ramp set from amazon and 20 minutes of your time.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I know they have changed my oil and done the adblue service because there is more oil soaked on that hose cloth near the filter top than before and there is a white mess in the trunk near the adblue fill hole. :)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I just booked my car for it's 20k service today. I'll take some before and after pics. I've always been very happy with my dealer, i expect no issues.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
pull your fill cap and clean any dirt around it before, as im sure the lube tech wont bother

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I'll have to check on this tomorrow, but the last time I had my hood opened and was cleaning up the car, it was almost spotless under the hood. i don't think there will be much debris near the fill cap.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The dealer may not have changed the oil because they know that it would turn black by the time car owner checks it. So to the dealer there is no point in changing. If the oil is brownish, the dealer may have used the used oil that came out of a gas car oil change.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^so many doubting Thomas' here. Yeah, sure, the dealer replaced the oil with used oil out of a gasser. He took the time to drain your car, then just syphoned the used "brown" oil out of the used oil tank back into your car.
This thread is one of the worst ever.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
My dealer replaced the air in my tires with used air too. Shameless! :)

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The dealer may not have changed the oil because they know that it would turn black by the time car owner checks it. So to the dealer there is no point in changing. If the oil is brownish, the dealer may have used the used oil that came out of a gas car oil change.
I hope that's intended as a humorous troll post.

Awesome.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
While we're trolling, we need to remind the OP to check his blinker fluid. Probably swapped it out for corrosive DEF.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Fairly simple problem with a fairly simple answer...

Proper service by a dealer? TRUST. Either it's there or not.

Proper service by someone else? See above.

Proper service by your own hands? You know.

And if you didn't do a proper service? You know.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
^ And what if you don't know what you are looking at and there is some sort of problem starting? Then you are blissfully unaware.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
No such thing here in the metro Detroit area. (no mass transit)
Do you understand why? In my years, I've witnessed the decline and it is shameful. Vote Smartly. Learn to do your own Service. Stay consistent.