03 Jetta Sunroof control headliner sag

myselfnjit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
My headliner is starting to come off of the little panel near the sunroof controls. Anyone have a way to put it back up?

tdi_mt

TDI
2004 passat wagon
Once it starts to sag its downhill from there. The material on the fibreboard is coming loose and if you add contact cement you are attaching the cloth to something that is sloughing off. Might stay for a short ( could be months ) but I tried it too and eventually just had to replace the linerat

myselfnjit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Once it starts to sag its downhill from there. The material on the fibreboard is coming loose and if you add contact cement you are attaching the cloth to something that is sloughing off. Might stay for a short ( could be months ) but I tried it too and eventually just had to replace the linerat
It is just the thin piece of fabric on the little square piece between the sunroof and the sunroof controls, almost looks like an access panel. The board actually seems fine.

I have thought about spray cement or something but it is very thin so I didnt want it to be too wet and show through. I was hoping someone had the same prob and a way to fix it well.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Did you ever get this fixed? I came out to my car last week on a hot day to find the fabric on the sunroof motor cover hanging down from one corner. I pressed it back up and it stayed for a few days, but now it's hanging down and won't stay up. It blocks the rear view mirror, so I finally pulled the panel off until I fix it.

The part I (and the OP) is talking about is the plastic piece that covers the sunroof motor and access to the manual sunroof control. It's just fabric on plastic. I looked at some headliner adhesives, but I don't think that will work because they spray on like a foam. Plus they come in large cans for ~$20 and this panel is only about 6" x 7".

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
It's not the whole headliner. It is just the fabric on the plastic access panel covering the sunroof motor and manual control. Here, a picture is worth 1000 words:

binky973

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
ya,panel looks ok, there's special spray adhesive for fabric, try a good autoparts store or a fabric store, i suggest a fabric specialty store and talk to one of the peeps, sometimes the spray can make the fabric "crunchy" and ugly, maybe even bring the panel to a fabric place