Audi a4b5 engine swap

A4b5 driver

TDI
Audi a4 b5
Hi all. Im new to the forum so thanks and great to be here.

I have for the last number of years an Audi a4b5, non quattro unfortunately? but it ran well all the way up to 490000 miles. Con rod snapped and the rest is history. It had a115bhp ajm 1.9tdi engine up to the end.

Long story short I managed to source a reasonably small mileage 1.9tdi avf engine from a b5 passat. My question it's now as to what issues I may be presented with. Will the engine run on the ajm ECU still in the car until I get it tuned a bit more? Both current and donor cars ran on 5 speed transmissions so will there be any connection issues?

I'm new here so if I have posted in the wrong area apologies in advance

Damian

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
You need a tune for your ecu if the engine comes with turbo, injectors and/or map sensor.
Mechanics is plug and play, more or less.
If you use your injectors, turbo and map sensor, no need to modify anything.

A4b5 driver

TDI
Audi a4 b5
Thank you arazvan 2002.
The engine I have is complete with turbo, injectors and maf sensor. Once it'll run awaiting a remap I'm ok with that

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Hi all. Im new to the forum so thanks and great to be here.
I have for the last number of years an Audi a4b5, non quattro unfortunately? but it ran well all the way up to 490000 miles. Con rod snapped and the rest is history. It had a115bhp ajm 1.9tdi engine up to the end.
Long story short I managed to source a reasonably small mileage 1.9tdi avf engine from a b5 passat. My question it's now as to what issues I may be presented with. Will the engine run on the ajm ECU still in the car until I get it tuned a bit more? Both current and donor cars ran on 5 speed transmissions so will there be any connection issues?
I'm new here so if I have posted in the wrong area apologies in advance
Damian
They are both PD engines however the replacement is a PD130 engine. It came from a B5.5 Passat (2000-2005) and was only mated to a 6 speed gearbox. You would be wise to get that as well if it's from a local breaker and cheap.

The big issue is what is different between the 113hp AJM (1998-2000) and the 128hp AVF (2000-2005)? If it's only a change in the ECU that might be easy to accommodate by acquiring the ECU of the donor engine, but I don't know if that's what they did to generate the additional 15hp. I also don't know whether the donor ECU will behave properly or whether it's consistent with the other systems in the car or the wiring. It might be a case where you have to have a tuner upgrade your existing ECU to deal with the AVF.

A post in the conversion forum might help you too, there's a lot of very knowledgeable people there that might be able to answer the questions you need answered.

Steve