2003 Golf TDI FS - with issues

mh718

2003 Golf TDI FS - with issues - Sullivan Co, NY

Sullivan County, NY
I will be parting soon with my 2003 Golf TDI, manual 5-speed.
Here's the story:
- great car, I really loved it.
- It started leaking from the sunroof and would get moldy smelling
- made some attempts to stop the leaking, but not very successful
- had a daily slow commute and could not manage the constant clutching, so purchased a new electric vehicle
- Golf was relegated to summer cottage driveway
- It was a cold winter, then when I went to give it a little run, the steering column had locked up and the ignition wouldn't turn
- I fixed that; totally took it apart and replaced the broken thing; key turns now
- battery was dead, have not had time to re-charge the battery to start the car (pandemic, etc.)
- big storm, tree branch fell and broke the windshield; now at risk for even more leaking.
- so, I'm at the point where I have to say I probably won't get this car back to where it should be and I'm not doing it any favors by leaving it at the cottage. I have to stop pretending I'm a mechanic.
I will give it one more shot and I'll charge the battery and try to turn it over. My guess is that the engine is still fine, the tires were relatively new, it has only 140K miles, but the leaking is an annoyance and the electrics are probably not exactly right (at one point the sunroof would randomly open on its own).
There's a lot to salvage there. It's located in Sullivan County, New York. Any interest? Make me an offer. I'd hate to see it turned into a cube of metal.
Thanks

Last edited:

mh718

Pictures soon. I need to take some and I'm not where the car is. I'll update this weekend and will see if I can get it started. Obviously that would be helpful. Sorry for the premature posting.

mh718

Pics - electrical issues; can’t start

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uYR92WRHHLEdU8HncgVvjtWaXGdlSXPr

Pics at above link.
Tried jump starting it and it just makes ticking noises and flashes all the lights on the dash.

So, can’t get a pic of the odometer, but it has about 140k. Has a skid plate, was fully functional before the leaking issue with the sunroof. Windshield newly broken from a branch falling. Only hit the windshield. Body is otherwise in ok shape, with exception of hood and hood latch, which was repaired previously.

Essentially, this car has a good, youngish engine, poor electrics. Newish tires.

Make an offer! You’ll have to tow it. If you think I should just scrap it, I’d like to hear that too.

Thanks.

mh718

Price: $600 obo

Did not realize there was a policy amount naming a price, so $600 obo.

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
If you were anywhere near KY I would buy it for the engine and 5 speed swap parts alone... but you arent :(

Good luck with the sale though.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Charge the battery first. Simply adding a jump will not provide enough juice to overcome a dead battery.

Sorry to hear about the sunroof leak. My 98 has that too. Tragic how such a simple thing can ruin an entire car.

mh718

I considered putting a new battery, but that means buying a new battery....
Car is located in Smallwood NY.
I can arrange weekend sales.

bobkat0178a

TDI
2002 Gulf TDI
Let me rephrase is it still for sale one of my girls 02 gulf tdi 01m died for the 3rd time in 120k so would like to put a stick in it to end the problems.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Let me rephrase is it still for sale one of my girls 02 gulf tdi 01m died for the 3rd time in 120k so would like to put a stick in it to end the problems.
mh718 posted it for sale and turbocharged798 replied that it is now in his yard, so no, it doesn't look like it is for sale anymore.