Starting issue on TDI Corrado

RobbyP

TDI
Corrado 1z swap
Ive owned the swap for almost 4 years. Alittle less than a year ago I ran into an issue where a click would be heard from the engine but it would intermittently crank over. Ive replaced the battery cables, ignition switch, and have done all the diag to rule out the wiring. Have also used multiple starters intended for use in a 96 passat tdi (donor car). Have used an ebay starter, bosch, and valeo and the issue still persists. Im almost 100% certain that the starter gear is hitting the flywheel ring gear and binding. There is faint marks on the flywheel aswell.. Causing it to only start sometimes. Flywheel is from a Southbend clutch kit and is a G60 flywheel is was installed probably 10 months before this issue started so I can rule out any flywheel installation error. Is it worth trying a starter from a G60 corrado? The two vehicles share the same trans so they will bolt up.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The g60 starter is 1.1 kw and the tdi starter is 1.8 kw so if you put the g60 starter on, it would have less power.
I'd check and see if there is 12 volts to the motor side when it only clicks. Also check the voltage to the s terminal on the solenoid. If you have low voltage there, it could cause only a click.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

RobbyP

TDI
Corrado 1z swap
The g60 starter is 1.1 kw and the tdi starter is 1.8 kw so if you put the g60 starter on, it would have less power.
I'd check and see if there is 12 volts to the motor side when it only clicks. Also check the voltage to the s terminal on the solenoid. If you have low voltage there, it could cause only a click.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Already checked and have the correct amount of voltage where it needs to be and also checked grounds and ran voltage drop tests. I have even tried to just the starter and even used a power probe to engage the solenoid and still get the same symptoms

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I don’t think the starter is the issue but I’m a fan of the mk4 TDI starters (after reliving the bendix) since they are so plentiful.

Next time you have this issue try this:
-put ignition I run position
-take a jumper wire from positive terminal to starter solenoid positive terminal. Take the ignition switch and wiring out of the equation. The wire you use downy need to be permanent, just touch each end to the connections
-if it works several times replace the lock cylinder assembly or switch.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Already checked and have the correct amount of voltage where it needs to be and also checked grounds and ran voltage drop tests. I have even tried to just the starter and even used a power probe to engage the solenoid and still get the same symptoms
Voltage doesn’t have anything to do with power.