Buying a used TDI

Superbug

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Does anyone have any idea what impact buying a 2014 TDI as a private sale would have right now? I know that the Goodwill program is for purchases before September 2015, but what about the people who purchase used after this date? I searched and searched everywhere for hours and I haven't been able to find an answer. If you have good info about this issue, please post a link.

gliitch

TDI
MKVI Golf
I'm sure you will have to be compliant with the fix but I don't think you would get any compensation. The compensation is to make up for buyers who lost value in the vehicle after it was purchased. You already bought it at the lower price

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Why do people keep insisting resale is lower? IT ISN'T!! I bought my 2013, just before Dieselgate, for market price, in Canada, for $20,000. Now? It's worth $19,000, and I've put nearly 20,000kms on it since. Resale hasn't been hit whatsoever. However, I'm tempted of getting out of my Jetta and getting into a new GTI, so I may take advantage of the buyback and $5k they give me in addition.

To the OP, I'd wait until summer, then we will know for sure what will exactly happen. Because it's possible resale may be hit when they do buybacks or the emissions fix. On the other hand, if you buy one now and don't get it fixed, it may be worth more than if it was fixed. Either way, you won't be able to take advantage of the compensation they are offering, most likely, since you bought it well after dieselgate sprouted up.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Why do people keep insisting resale is lower? IT ISN'T!!
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki...s-settlement-with-diesel-owners/#52fcf87d70b5

"The $5,000 in compensation to owners of Volkswagen’s TDI diesel vehicles is meant offset falling resale values of the cars. According to Kelly Blue Book, the average auction values of Volkswagen TDIs have dropped 27% since June of last year, compared with a 10% decline for VW’s gasoline vehicles. Kelly Blue Book estimates that the compensation agreement will cost VW $7.3 billion, not including the costs associating with modifying the vehicles."

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidki...s-settlement-with-diesel-owners/#52fcf87d70b5
"The $5,000 in compensation to owners of Volkswagen’s TDI diesel vehicles is meant offset falling resale values of the cars. According to Kelly Blue Book, the average auction values of Volkswagen TDIs have dropped 27% since June of last year, compared with a 10% decline for VW’s gasoline vehicles. Kelly Blue Book estimates that the compensation agreement will cost VW $7.3 billion, not including the costs associating with modifying the vehicles."
Yeah that's KBB. That's what's getting everyone freaked out. Notice how their numbers don't compare with the actual market? They're way out to lunch. I haven't trusted KBB since day 1