2009 jetta dsg problem!

slingblade05

TDI
2009 jetta
hi there i am new to this forum.... 2009 tdi DSG I am having a dsg problem and when it is cold it is completely fine but when it is warmed up I sometimes (not all the time) get a clunk a few times when i put it into reverse and then it engages. Very rarely it will clunk 5 times and all the PRND will flash and i have to restart car and all goes back to normal! the code is p2711 when this happens. It doesnt do it from reverse to drive. only drive to reverse and also when i put it into park it will clunk a few times and jerk a bit too. Dealer told me that the clutches need to be replaced($2400) but I don't trust them. please help!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
alldatadiy has a copy of a TSB for this.

ASMT - DTC P2711 Stored in TCM 30 13 03
December 18, 2013

quoted in part below:

DTC as described may cause shifting concerns and/or a lack of mobility upon initial startup. For example, the selector is moved to Drive or Reverse and the transmission does not engage the selected gear.
Technical Background
Debris in the clutch assembly causing too much drag torque from the multiple clutch.
Production Solution
Updated clutch installed as of March 12, 2010.
Service
If the Transmission Control Module has fault code P2711 (only) and more than 19,000 miles, replace the multiple clutch and cover, see Repair Manual Group 30 in ElsaWeb. If more than P2711 is in the Transmission Control Module or the vehicle has less than 19,000 miles, the faults need to be diagnosed using normal GFF processes.
Note : The clutch should not be replaced without proper diagnoses and/or meeting the mileage requirements.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
There is one way to find out for sure

Assume you have over 19,000 miles.

do you have a VCDS, and are there any other codes, or just this one?

they usually do not write up a TSB unless there is some experience.

You could shop for another place to do the work, perhaps get a better price...

perhaps find a place that has changed out the clutches in a DSG and has some experience..

02e398029 is the part number listed for the clutch pack in the TSB.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I might be inclined to see what happens in June. (they might offer a good buy-back price on the car)

Have you taken advantage of the $1000 from VW?

a lot depends on how much you like the car, and how many miles on it.