2003 Jetta - Key Spinning in the Ignition

pdlandgang

TDI
2003 Jetta
I am sure this has come up before, and I am new to the forum. My son went to start our car and the key spun around in the ignition. He was able to get the key out and tried again and had no problems. Is the entire unit going bad, just need some guidance. I am not a super-mechanic, but I am able to do some things. Would love to avoid the dealer at all cost. Thanks for any help.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
Classic lock barrel tab has broken off problem. If you take the steering column apart you will likely find something similar to the pictures in this thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4671444-HOWTO-replace-mk4-ignition-lock-cylinder

where I stole this picture:

It is possible to start the car after taking the steering column apart:

1. first put the key in (even if it just spins, it still should unlock the steering wheel and also the radio frequency immobilizer chip needs to be read).

2. put a screw driver in the white plastic switch and turn it

Now that the car runs you have three options:

1. fix it properly (I don't recommend this) by replacing the broken "ignition lock barrel assembly", it is the largest part which holds the switch on the left and the key cylinder on the right. It is riveted to the steering column. Here is a great video of how the ignition lock barrel assembly and how the ignition switch comes out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Bl3mdzLaYc ... this option costs hundreds of dollars.

2. rig up a push button ignition (see the link in my signature)

3. spend zero dollars, leave the plastic covers off the steering column, and just start the car with a screwdriver from now on.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
He was able to get the key out and tried again and had no problems.
I just read this again... I would recommend taking the steering column apart as soon as possible to investigate!

I vaguely remember this happening to me a few times before it stopped working all together due to the broken tab. I guess the broken piece of the tab can "catch" and allow you to turn the switch, but there is no telling when it will stop all together and leave you stranded.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just had this happen on my sons car.
It's held in with shear bolts not rivets. These are a one time use bolt as the 3/8 head shears off and leaves a dome.
With a dremel about an hour to fix. With out , like I had, about 3hrs with a hack saw blade back and forth about 1/2 inch at a time to cut slots in domed head.
Total cost was about 180.00

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Only thing that's exposed is the dome head. Don't rember if you can get straight on the head with a left handed bit.