Fan issues, never ending. Ideas? 99 Beetle

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
So when we got the car we found out that the high voltage fuse box was melted. Changed it, shortly after the fuse melted again. We than found out that both fans were on there way out. One was very hard to spin and the other started making bearing noise.

Changed the fans, replaced the box again. Fuse melted again.

Read about chinese fuses, replaced the fuse with a good quality one, no longer is the fuse melting but now on hot days the fans are cycling on and off when the AC is on causing it to get cold than warm up some, than the fans come back on.

Any ideas for me? AC isnt low and its blowing ice cubes while the fans stay on just when they kick off unless im moving a decent speed it warms up.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Im going down the line fixing stuff on the car as I can but this fan issue seems to be never ending.

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Is the same circuit/fuse always melting?
In order to find the source of the problem you should have the wiring diagram(s) for the circuits that are in that fuse box. Once you have them it is usually just tracing the wiring.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
In the sticky thread on the VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) forum there is talk about a fuse that goes that causes erratic behavior of the fan operation, go review that PDF and have a look, its a fuse on the inside panel beside the drivers door.