98 Beetle AGR Engine Relay panel request for help!

mjammann

Hello All,
I've had a bit of a wiring harness meltdown :(
I have cleaned it up as best I can, but I have a couple of wires that are fried too far back into the harness to fix up.
My car is an AGR engine 98 beetle. It seems to have a different relay panel as the ALH engine cars, and I can't seem to find a diagram on the interwebs.
Would someone be able to provide a link or scan to a relay panel diagram/map for the 98 AGR engine beetle? Or tell me what the bottom row 2 left most relays do?
My panel looks like the one at this link
http://s971.photobucket.com/user/danielsender/media/glow_plug_location2.jpg.html?t=1433751699
thanks,
Matt

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Those four socket locations are not the "thirteen fold auxiliary relay" or "thirteenposition auxiliary relay" panel, but are considered to be a separate electrical section that is refered to as a "Micro-electric central" relay panel consisting of the four sockets and provisions for up to three fuses.
The sockets from left (1) to right (4):
1 dual horn relay (production code 53, a generic relay used in several locations)
2 Load Reduction Relay (LRR) (production code number 100, or 213, or 18 depending on the model)
3 not used
4 Fuel Pump relay (production code 409, valid for gas cars only)

I don't have 98 AGR TDI Beetle specific schematics, but 98 Beetle and 99 Jetta ALH TDI agree on the other points, and the Jetta shows the 'micro-electric' relay panel as using only positions 1 for horn (code 53) and 2 for LRR (code 18) with 3 and 4 left open.

Knowing how VW standardizes I'd say with 90+% certainty that the AGR uses the same wiring and relays for the horns and LRR circuitry as the ALH.

mjammann

Thanks LugNUt

I may be confused because my main relay panel has one large double relay on right instead of the two specified.
Perhaps they are just combined.
Matt