Golf roof rails

BOHICA

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Hey guy's i was wondering if anyone has ever put the roof rails that come on the jetta wagon's on a MK4 golf? I know i would have to drill holes in the roof (im ok with that) and the front brackets that mount to the roof frame do line up but the nuts are not there so i would have to weld it in place or something like that and also i know that i would have to shorten up the rails to fit. BTW i hate the way the typical roof racks look on these cars thats why i want to do this. I just want to get your input or if anyone has ever don it.

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
I haven't but I have considered it. I think the structure for the 2 mounting points on the front would be similar, just need to drill. For the rear section, the rails would have to be shortened. The rails are glued and pressed together. If you carefully cut the rail open you should be able to remove the rear cast aluminum piece. Then cut the rail shorter and jam the cast piece back in. The length will be dependant on where the structural strength is on the golf. You don't want to mount it to just roof skin.

BOHICA

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Ya i have all the mounting brackets that go on the inside of the car. Thanks for the input i was wondering how the rails went together. I set them on the car last night and it looks pritty nice

bmali98

Veteran Member
TDI
O4 golf pd auto
ya it looks pretty cool. I had a set from my brothers wagon when he took them off and I was seeing how it would look. He took them back and reinstalled them but I have another set from my old wagon I'm parting so I may use them. I haven't took down my headliner to see what the golf needs to make them fit so post up how it goes. I liked being always ready with the wagon for moving larger stuff even without the cross bars. I moved mattresses, plywood, pvc pipe and some other things without the cross bars. Zip ties and ratchet straps for the win!

Last edited: