Should I Buy Extended Waranty?

silverbox

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta wagon 2003 silver
I bought my wagon used from a dealership in june 05 with 78,000KM and have VW certified warnaty till 120,000KM.
I now have 96,000KM on it. For about $3000 Canadian, i can extend the VW waranty 40,000KM or 3 years
I am trying to weigh the cost/ benefits.
I would like to hear other TDI owners opinions, or experiences.
Thanks

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
Put the money in a savings account and do not buy the warranty. You will not make your $$ back. Even is something were to go wrong in those extra 40,000km, I's sure it'd cost a lot less than $3k CDN to fix

Strack

Veteran Member
If you can find an extended warranty company at a reasonable cost other than VW's, it may provide some comfort in case of a turbo or injection pump failure (costly repairs). I was contacted by an aftermarket ins. company when my Chrysler went out of factory warranty. They offered a variety of options for extended coverage at reasonable rates. Luckily, I sold the car but would have considered it due to the unknown potential of costly repairs with this somewhat problematic vehicle (Sebring Convertible). Of course, research the aftermarket warranty company as well to ensure they are legitimite and do pay out claims.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
A 40,000 km warranty extension on a TDI is next to useless... TDI's are meant to be driven and I suspect that you'll run out of the 40k in a short while...

More important: you'll be pressured into doing most of the maintenance on the vehicle at a VW dealer, and possibly there may be some small print that may require extra "diagnosis" before any warranty claim is granted...

Not worth the hassle... save your money... learn to do your own maintenance... meet some fellow TDI owners...

Yuri.