2000 golf gls tdi rear hatch lock probs.

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
purchased a used 2000 golf tdi last week. rear hatch lock will only open from inside the driver's door release switch ,the key remote switch won't work,also the keyhole seems to be filled with road debrie can't insert key.can anybody help me out? i would like to rectifie this problem. also the passenger side front door lock won't release sometimes or it will and then lock up again, any ideas? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

penclnck

The rear hatch button on the remote has to be pressed and held for like 2 or 3 seconds.

The key that won't fit into the rear hatch key hole... is it a flip out key, or a "regular" key with a little wrench on it? If it is a "regular" key with a little wrench on it, it won't fit into the rear hatch key hole (or the glove box). The grooves that are cut down the sides of it are not deep enough to allow it fit... it is ment to only work in the driver's door and ignition.

As for the passenger door lock... when you lock or unlock the doors, the servo motors that do the dirty work should have a *ker-thunk* sound and the noise end abruptly and the lock plungers should have a swift solid movement. Now if you hear a buzzing type sound that trails off and the plugger kind of bounces up and down a little (and in somecases bouncing all the way back to being locked), then the door latch asm unit would need to be replaced to fix it.

Hope this info helps you out.

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
thank you for the info. everything you said seems to be correct,although i hate the idea of replacing the passenger doorlatch.it doesn't happen all the time it is a kind of intermittant prob.maybe i have to learn to live with it.thanks again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SoCalJames

Veteran Member
TDI
I no longer own a TDI
I'm wondering if your rear wiper/ washer assembly is leaking inside the hatch. That's what mine did. It ruined the lock mechanism. (Drippage). Now I have to wait exactly 2 minutes for the rear hatch to lock after actively locking it. I dont' want to spend the $300 to fix the thing. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

VIC

TDI
Golf, 99.5, Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
purchased a used 2000 golf tdi last week. rear hatch lock will only open from inside the driver's door release switch ,the key remote switch won't work,also the keyhole seems to be filled with road debrie can't insert key.can anybody help me out? i would like to rectifie this problem. also the passenger side front door lock won't release sometimes or it will and then lock up again, any ideas? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same problem as you with my 99.5 TDI. The person who I purchased the Golf from obviuosly pissed someone off so they glued the lock cylinder shut. I insisted that they fix the problem, and they did, but not before ruining the seal.

Anyways, I replaced the microswitch and handle seal, now everything works.

Microswitch ~$30CAN Part #1J6 953 230
Seal $7.25CAN Part #1J6 827 634

here are some pics:

Golf rear latch mechanism

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
03 golf rear door.

Almost same issues as posted ,
I also have my idiot door ajar lite stays on
i tryed to manually lock door with flip key and it dont lock? Thats FU
cus usually when u close rear door within a few seconds it locks it self
and mine stoped doing that the key hole was clogged i cleaned it key works but dont lock door
remote wont unlock it
something Electronically in this look , Is intermitantly malfunctioning
not sure were to start on fixing it
then sometimes it locks with no effort of mine
puzzled in pencilveinia. Any advice would be apreciated