where to find a rear hatch lock / tumbler for MK4 golf

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf, 03 Jetta Wagon, 75 Westy (undergoing TDI conversion)
Hey,

I have been living with this as a slight nuissance since I picked up the car about 40k kms ago... I maintained the 'fun' stuff i.e. timing belt - clutch... but the rear hatch tumbler has always been seiced it was really the ONLY thing on the car that didnt function properly so as I could open the hatch using the automatic button on the key fob and then use the door hatch handle not a problem....

but the funny thing is that as soon as you close the hatch it immediately locks the rear hatch - even if the car is fully unlocked - you still have to press and hold the keyfob to open the trunk - and if you dont open it immediately the trunk hatch locks itself.. .

I asusme that this is likely because the tumblers are permanently ste to the 'lock' position.. and thus no matter if the car is unlocked or not the rear hatch will lock itself??

I have not attempted to disconnect the tumbler - is it possible to bypass the tumbler so that the rear hatch does not ALWAYs lock itself?

or should I just pickup a new rear tumbler and match to the keys... ?

anyone know where to purchase a rear tumbler? I cant find them listed on most websites...

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
also BOTH front doors have recently stopped indicating a door open - which I assume to be door regulators that need replacing? just annoying in thath when you open the car you have to open a back door otherwise it automatically locks after 10sec...

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I don't think you have a problem with the locking of the rear hatch. If you open the rear hatch and close it , it should lock within a couple of seconds. If you unlock the hatch but do not open it there is a time delay of about 2 - 3 minutes before it locks. The front doors have nothing to do with the hatch sequence other than arming horn when you lock the doors with the fob.
When you open either front door do you get the on side door light and the over head light? If not then I would suspect that door lock assy micro switch to be at fault. I would be surprised that both would fail at the same time. If you have access to a VAG-COM you can see which door locks are not in the correct position when you open and close them

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
on other MK4 Golf hatchbacks I have driven / worked on for friends... if you unlock the car i.e. [ushing the unlock button twice on the key fob or hitting the unlock button in the front door drivers side - it unlocks the entire car does it not?

and the hatch will remain 'unlocked' but not open unless you hit the 'lock' button?

and it is literally 10seconds before it re-locks as oppose to the 2-3 mins you suggested... I thought this was a little over excessive from what I have witnessed.

or does the hatch just ALWAYS lock? eiether way the tumbler is still seized and it would be nice to correct it...

as for the front doors - when you open them (either of them) the overhead light does NOT go on... the drivers side went first and then the passenger side (it used to be just the drivers side...)

I do have VAG-COM sp how do you check this using VCDS?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I forgot to mention the tumbler can only be bought at the dealer, You can take the tumbler apart CAREFULLY try to lubing it up. I broke a piece on my son's golf and needed to replaced the housing assy but the key portion worked fine. I got one from a fellow member and slid the tumbler assy out and transferred it to the new assy. You can try that and see if you can clean and lube the up, just be careful with the pins in the tumbler. I believe it's about $80.00 for the back set and you had to wait almost 3 weeks for VW to cut a new key to match your car or I could get it now with a different key . At least that's what my local dealer said.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the two golfs I have here if you hit the unlok button on the fob or the door unlock button od the door only the doors un lock, not the rear hatch. When you hit the hatch button on the fob or the hatch switch on the drivers door only the hatch unlocks.

I think you have two bad doorlock assy , Search for the $3.00 door fix, It's not too bad to do just time consuming.

In VAG-COM you have to go through the different tabs a the top . I forget which one, But it will say central locks .

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you open the rear hatch do you get the cargo light ?

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI
On the two golfs I have here if you hit the unlok button on the fob or the door unlock button od the door only the doors un lock, not the rear hatch. When you hit the hatch button on the fob or the hatch switch on the drivers door only the hatch unlocks.

I think you have two bad doorlock assy , Search for the $3.00 door fix, It's not too bad to do just time consuming.

In VAG-COM you have to go through the different tabs a the top . I forget which one, But it will say central locks .

the 'door lock assy' will cause the interior light not to come on? or the door open indicator not to show up?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the 'door lock assy' will cause the interior light not to come on? or the door open indicator not to show up?

Yes

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Door Lock Assembly-Driver Side (A4)
[doorlockassya4] $183.95

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
OE Part Number: 3B1837015AS
This is an OEM door lock assembly for the driver's side door of A4 chassis cars with remote control locking systems. The car's remote not working is usually a first sign of switch failure. This is an OEM unit, not aftermarket.
IDIparts,com kind of pricey, or get one from a salvage yard for about 40-60 dollars.

Diesel Mania_26

Veteran Member
TDI

Door Lock Assembly-Driver Side (A4)
[doorlockassya4] $183.95

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
OE Part Number: 3B1837015AS
This is an OEM door lock assembly for the driver's side door of A4 chassis cars with remote control locking systems. The car's remote not working is usually a first sign of switch failure. This is an OEM unit, not aftermarket.
IDIparts,com kind of pricey, or get one from a salvage yard for about 40-60 dollars.
ah ok - I was referring to the same thing - thought it was referred to as a 'door regulator'.

thx!