Monsoon Error Code

PD_Passat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Have searched but cannot find any info on error codes for the Monsoon CD player. Have an "Error 2" and it ejects the cd. Even new cd's are ejected. Anyone have a source as to what the error codes mean. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ed

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
If your car has under 50K miles on it, get it replaced under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

PD_Passat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Thanks. Will be taking it in for the break light recall. May as well get it done then.

Ed

treefidget

TDI
2005 golf PD-TDI
That's great IF the car is under warranty BUT if it's not, what might the reason for the code be?
Our 05 golf has also done this lately, sometimes error 1 or error 2, but later in the day it seems to work fine, it does not have multiple cds.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
There's a service bulletin for CD*ERR 1.

"CD player displays CD * ERR 1. Mainly occurs when a newly purchased disc fails to play after initial loading into the player. Failure to play after loading may be caused by small bumps or flashing around the center hole and outside edge of disc. Do Not replace the CD player. Remove bumps or flashing by using a plastic instrument around these areas. Do Not enlarge the center hole.

* Fingerprints, dust or soil on the disc may cause skipping.
* Do Not use a circular motion to clean a disc, clean from center of disc to outer edge using a lint free soft cloth.
* Never attempt to play a cracked, warped, or damaged disc. This could severely damage the playback mechanism.
* Hard Frost: During cold weather, if the inside of the vehicle is suddenly warmed, a condition known as "Hard Frost" can occur (when condensation forms on the pick up lens inside the CD player).

Condensation can cause the laser beam to diffract and cause the CD player to generate an ERR code. During extreme cold temperatures, allow the CD player ample time to warm up prior to use."

YBZ

TDI
2002 Jetta
I've seen both those error codes now on my cd player. The cd's are clean and scratch free. They play fine for awhile then the skipping starts an progressively gets worse until the cd fails to play at all then it spits out the cd. First time it said error 1 then next time, a few weeks later, it said error 2.

Even running a cd lens cleaner didn't seem to solve anything.

Then again, after 276,000KM's, I'm expecting things to go on the fritz!

treefidget

TDI
2005 golf PD-TDI
We found a way to kinda trick the cd player.
Put the cd in then before it gets a chance to scan the cd hit the FM button to turn on the radio, then hit the cd button, it works most of the time.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
My 03 Golf with the Monsoon just started to display "ERROR 1" while trying to load the CD. After trying several different scratchless clean CD with no luck I looked here. Is there a way to reset the player? I'll try pulling the battery cable for 20 minutesnd see if that resets things.

lost1wing

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 2003, 2002, 2000 ,2000
I used to get cd error on my 03 Jetta. This started when I installed a factory CD changer. After several repeated unplugging and pluggings, the error msg has never come back. The cd player in the car would not work either with the error msg.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
After having the battery disconnected overnihjt, I still got the error 1.

I'm at a lose... maybe I can do something with my VAG-COM.

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
lost1wing said:
I don't think my problem was a power reset issue, but more like a bad connection at the plug-in. It can't hurt to try.
Did you get it to work again?

I found this post at VWvortex
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2645043

Now I'm thinking it is a CD stuck in the unit.

I'll I have to do is get some radio removal keys and start pulling it apart. Since it is already broken... it can't hurt.

PD_Passat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Update: Went to the dealer yesterday with the recall for the break light. Had him look at the stereo and told him about the error 2 code. They ordered a new stereo for me. All covered under the warranty.

PS: The break light switch took less than 45 minutes - not bad services for around here.

Ed

christolles

TDI
2005 VW Golf GLS TDI
Hey all,

I'm getting "ERROR 1" on my Monsoon system in my 2005 Golf TDI, and can't for the life of me figure it out. I don't have the changer, so it's just a single-CD system.

Discs are perfectly clean (tried multiple), tried the turn-off-while-loading trick to no avail, and the error has been consistent through a variety of weather (so no condensation on the lens).

I've unplugged the system from the amp in the trunk (two combo-plugs), but that only disconnects the speakers, and doesn't help. How do I hard-reset the stereo unit itself? I don't have the hooks to pull it out of the dash.

Leaving on a five-day road trip tomorrow and desperately need this fixed! Please help!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hard reset = take it out and smash on the ground.
Seriously, the only way I've seen to permanently fix "Error 1" is replacement.

You can try pulling fuse 42 for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. However, I expect it won't cure the ailing unit.

christolles

TDI
2005 VW Golf GLS TDI
You can try pulling fuse 42 for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. However, I expect it won't cure the ailing unit.
Crap. I was worried about. The bizarre thing is that it worked fine for a number of months, then coughed on a CD on day and has never gone back. I'm totally out of warranty. Are there any cheap ways to replace the HU?

FredInTexas

TDI
05 Golf TDI
Another victim of the dreaded Error Code 2

I have a 2005 Golf TDI (58k miles) and am now getting Error Code 2 on some brand new Brilliance AudioBook CD's. The CD's all seem to be from the same manugacturing line in that they are all silver with plain black printing. All other CD's (books and music) play just fine. The CD's appear to be well made with no extra flashing or irregularities. I will try the switch to FM as the CD is going in and see if that works for me. I have 2 other cars and these CD's play fine in both of them. :confused:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
i've noticed that the jetta radios are made by clarion and the passat radios are made by panasonic.anyone have an opinion about which seem better quality?

Oldgoat

TDI
None yet
There's a service bulletin for CD*ERR 1.

"CD player displays CD * ERR 1. Mainly occurs when a newly purchased disc fails to play after initial loading into the player. Failure to play after loading may be caused by small bumps or flashing around the center hole and outside edge of disc. Do Not replace the CD player. Remove bumps or flashing by using a plastic instrument around these areas. Do Not enlarge the center hole.

* Fingerprints, dust or soil on the disc may cause skipping.
* Do Not use a circular motion to clean a disc, clean from center of disc to outer edge using a lint free soft cloth.
* Never attempt to play a cracked, warped, or damaged disc. This could severely damage the playback mechanism.
* Hard Frost: During cold weather, if the inside of the vehicle is suddenly warmed, a condition known as "Hard Frost" can occur (when condensation forms on the pick up lens inside the CD player).

Condensation can cause the laser beam to diffract and cause the CD player to generate an ERR code. During extreme cold temperatures, allow the CD player ample time to warm up prior to use."
Rookie question...is there a list of error codes posted on this site or elsewhere. Thanks.