What weight Flywheel are you using with South Bend Clutch?

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I have a SMF that replaced the DMF and it clatters like crazy in neutral I don't care because I don't spend much time sitting still but after looking at the way the DMF is made and the weight it is not surprising that the SMF would rattle the gears.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
FlyTDI Guy said:
I think it's important to draw a line or two here... One would be, concensus seems to be that the lighter the flywheel, the more clatter there is, regardless of mfg. The second would be, there were some cheap flywheels running around (Eurospec) that quality was in question, were missing TDC marks and generally didn't perform well in terms of chatter/judder and clatter. Most, if not all, suppliers here caught on to that pretty quick and don't offer those SMF's any more. SBC clutches are quite popular and most people like them. I don't know who's flywheel they supply in their 'kit' but, by in large, it seems to work. Whether or not there are multiple flywheel mfg's to avoid I can't say directly. The only 'bad egg' that keeps coming up again and again is Eurospec. I don't think SBC uses them.
I can agree with that, I was also burned by a guy that on the phone swore it was a great combo turned out, it was louder than anything i ever heard and got worst and worst.

just trying to help out here, I also got the flywheel inspected buy a non bias professional stating it would be nothing he would ever install..poor manufactoring out of balance no timing marks even warpage...I mean come on!!!!

thats a big job that I shouldnt have to spend thousands on multiple clutch kits and labor to find one that works as stated.

are you understanding what is being said here?

I currently have a OEM german flywheel and sach vr6 and its nearly silent!!!!!!! I have great hearing...

Its like certain people are more concerned about profits and undercutting
us ( end user) so they can make a buck...not everyone and not all the time but it happens.

Last edited:

cawmere

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia MK1 1.9TDI ASV
Just fitted my SBC stage3 clutch, like it alot - thanks for the advice guys

Thanks to IDparts for the fast shipping and good service.
Thanks also to RyanP who sorted out a flywheel for me at short notice :)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Nice! realy wish i was not a tight twat and i'd buy one of those!! lol

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I had a So. Bend Stage 3 (now called a Stage 2 Endurance clutch) kit that includes a single mass flywheel, PP and clutch plate installed about 800+ miles ago. I bought the clutch kit from a local shop and worked with them with the help of Peter at ID Parts to select the correct kit. I would have bought the kit directly from Peter but I the locals wanted some experience dealing with So. Bend so that they could begin installing them on the gassers they work on most of the time. Looking back I wished I had bought it from Peter, especially given his experience. I've been told by So. Bend that I was provided with their 22# single mass flywheel with this kit.

Pedal pressure is approximately double (2x) my stock dual mass unit. I'm not surprised as my stock PP was too weak to handle the torque of my chipped BRM engine and was probably getting weaker by the day. Launching shudder in first gear sucks but continues to improve somewhat over the first 900 miles so far. Most of my driving is highway driving.

I have been told by So. Bend that:

a: There should be no shudder when launching in first (I'm doing this gently so as not to slip the clutch at all).

b: Expect the clutch to shudder like hell for the first 200-500 miles of stop and go city traffic.

I get a real good shudder when down shifting, especially going from third to second, hardly any so going from second to first. It shifts very well in every gear and it's only as I'm launching in 1st or downshifting like I mentioned that there is any issues. I suspect I need to either continue being nice and babying this clutch as it continues to break in or maybe nail it a few times and see if the shudder goes away and the clutch smooths out. Shudder BTW is defined as the whole car shakes and makes a pretty fair thumping sound, all from the tranny area (clutch). And yes it's pretty likely the clutch was installed correctly as the shop that did it does VW's and Audi's only and averages several clutches a week between the 2 guys that work there.

Any comments?

Last edited:

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
So they tell you there should be no shudder when launching yet you should expect the clutch to shudder like hell for the first 200-500 miles??? Hmmm... I'll have to look at the materials used for the SB Stage 3 (or 2 Endurance) and get a better idea of what and why...

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
FlyTDI Guy said:
So they tell you there should be no shudder when launching yet you should expect the clutch to shudder like hell for the first 200-500 miles??? Hmmm... I'll have to look at the materials used for the SB Stage 3 (or 2 Endurance) and get a better idea of what and why...
It's their feramic material. Their explanation is that the clutch disk is nearly as hard as the flywheel, hence the slow break-in.

cawmere

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Octavia MK1 1.9TDI ASV
The only thing i noticed was a slight notchiness when selected gears...but otherwise no shudder or anything.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
notchiness sounds like improperly set up gear selector??

xiledsavior

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
PoloPower said:
How much does it work out to get just the SBC stage 3 without flywheel off id parts with p&p to the UK?
That's going to depend on whether you want the kit for DMF or the one for SMF; there's about a $110 difference between them. I'd say just act like you're going to buy it and cancel if you don't like the price.
Here are the SBC's, the stage 3's are called stage 2 endurance now.

PoloPower

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 vw polo 1.9tdi
yeah ive done that but it doesnt say the price for postage. Just wondered if anyone in the UK knew what the postage was on top of the purchase price

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Bob_Fout said:
I had zero notchyness with mine.
Bob,
That's what Andy of SB told the fellows who installed mine. Others have told me they had some notchiness, but it went away over time and they really like the clutch. I'm probably just being impatient and should chill. Once today I took it out for a hard romp and it feels a little better. Maybe this clutch just needs to be slapped around a little. I'll let my friend Guido have it for a few days.:p

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
PoloPower said:
How much does it work out to get just the SBC stage 3 without flywheel off id parts with p&p to the UK?
I can help you there, I typically deduct my standard shipping rate factored into the cost (as part of free shipping) and just charge you the difference.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Bob_Fout said:
I had zero notchyness with mine.
Notchyness is indicative of a clutch that isn't fully releasing, a improperly adjusted shifter, or internal transmission issues.

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
Notchyness is indicative of a clutch that isn't fully releasing, a improperly adjusted shifter, or internal transmission issues.
I'm not sure how one adjusts a hydraulic clutch. There were no adjustment instructions in the Bentley. The issue occurs as I said before is when the car is at a stop and AFTER it's already in 1st gear and while letting the clutch out the car shudders. It's either in need of further break-in or defective. It shifts very well in all gears. I also experence the same issue when backing up.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
No prob.. I hate that, especially in stop-n-go traffic. Makes you think about an auto... NOT

xiledsavior

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
I just had an SBC stage 2 endurance (stage 3) clutch installed by JasonTDI in Madison WI and I have zero notchiness or shudder. I'm running a 17lb flywheel and it sounds like stock as well. I've been driving on it for about 212 miles.

Paul7878

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
I'm guessing this is a "yes" but would this flywheel work with the SBC Stage 2 endurance clutch?

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_7_23_57_395_2094&info=OEM_VAG_02A105269A_Billet_Steel_Flywheel_Stock_Weight_G60&products_id=200

I'm trying to stick with a good, heavy OEM single mass flywheel. From what I've been reading, the consensus is that stock is pretty much a safe bet for minimizing noise....and should have a timing mark?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why exactly did the stage names/numbers change for SBC all of a sudden?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Paul7878 said:
I'm guessing this is a "yes" but would this flywheel work with the SBC Stage 2 endurance clutch?

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_7_23_57_395_2094&info=OEM_VAG_02A105269A_Billet_Steel_Flywheel_Stock_Weight_G60&products_id=200

I'm trying to stick with a good, heavy OEM single mass flywheel. From what I've been reading, the consensus is that stock is pretty much a safe bet for minimizing noise....and should have a timing mark?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Why exactly did the stage names/numbers change for SBC all of a sudden?
I'd be very weary of flywheels claimed to be "OEM" as many are of Asian origin, the Eurospec ones come to mind of which have had many problems. Even though they are Asian, they can still legally be called OEM as they are made for Volkswagen of China.

True OEM flywheels will have the words "Germany" cast into the back of the flywheel. That particular flywheel pictured appears to be an aluminum unit.

Also the OEM G60 flywheel weighs in @ 19.5 pounds.