www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 13th, 2018, 05:48   #31
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

A long time ALH owner I bought my 04 with 259k miles on it.
It needed a heater core and suspension work but now at 28xxxx miles it has been dead reliable.
A little smoky on cold starts, and still with the original cam.
It still has the MK4 foibles but I am used to them.
With a VNT 17, tune and EGR delete, it is fast , fun and economical car.
Old March 13th, 2018, 17:45   #32
maxmoo
Veteran Member

If VW hadn't built the ALH the BEW would have been a great engine.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 18:06   #33
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
If VW hadn't built the ALH the BEW would have been a great engine.
or, the ALH is a great engine because VW built the BEW
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 03:37   #34
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

390k miles on my 05' bew w/ stock cam, runs great ...but i still prefer the alh over all others
Old March 14th, 2018, 17:29   #35
halocline
Veteran Member

I replaced the cam on mine at a timing belt change and it cost about an extra $500-600 if I remember. It's not that bad, and you only have to do it once. I'm at 175K and it's running great. I did invest in a VNT17 and a tune when the original BW turbo took a dive, likely from a horrible experience at the dealer several years ago. The tune/turbo combo turned out so great that I went for a better clutch and SMF. That's been the most expensive adventure.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:59   #36
Franko6

I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; March 20th, 2018 at 14:24.
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 20:24   #37
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.
I thought the DSG, BEW combo only came in the beetles....or am I mistaken?
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 06:30   #38
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Mine has the Jatco 09A transmission which has proved to be very reliable and spontaneous. No major problems with the BEW, but I only have 152K miles; bought new in '04.
I do have a Malone stage 1.5 tune with Dynamic EGR and a VNT delete.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 15:20   #39
rkovacs

Fuel Economy: 710 miles per tank

I have so many mods over the years I have forgotten some. I bought my car with 74K miles on it, always used "diesel" 5w-40 oil and my stock cam was totally shot by 160k miles. Replaced it with the Colt 2. Still looks like new at 363k miles now.
I used to run a high concentration of Bio-Diesel (50%) in the car but the injectors do not like it. Had to stop running it.
SBC Stage 2 SMF, Colt 2 cam, Malone 4 tune, .658 5th, 034Motorsport 80 dogbone, vented fender liner, ventectomy, VNT17, PD150 injectors, 3 bar MAP, VDO boost gauge, EGR delete with replacement plate, Panzer plate, Koni shocks, VR6 front springs, rear tow springs.
2007 EOS DSG
rkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 15:42   #40
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

within the world of these engines, AHU is the best long lasting, ALH is better but more complicated to work on for simple stuff but its nearly bullet proof, BEW is would be a solid gold engine if it was not for cam issues.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 15:58   #41
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingconstant7 View Post
The BEW is an alright engine, the first of the PD engine type(higher injection pressures with more precise timing allowing for better power and lower emissions compared to the ALH). It had cam issues, as does the BRM(found in the 2005.5-2007 Jetta TDI). It's not a "common" problem, it's an inevitable problem. The BRM certainly had it worse off for cam issues than the BEW. So you will run into cam issues with either engine, but if the car had correct oil it's whole life, it will take hundreds of thousands of miles to wear out, but most don't use VW spec oil, so it accelerates wear.
ALH is a clear winner in terms of fuel economy, mod-ability, reliability, and longevity. For power, the ALH was rated for 90hp/155 ft/lbs of torque. BEW at 100hp/177ft/lbs of torque. It's not a huge difference, albeit, slightly noticeable. Another thing to consider, is that the BEW can have injector problems. VW quoted my neighbour $1,000 CAD per injector for his BEW! He found a junker TDI and replaced all 4 for $200. They only had 80k miles on them and 30k down the road with these "new" injectors, they've gone bad again. I've heard similar stories.
To say the ALH is bulletproof, is an understatement. If you know diesel trucks, it's like the 7.3 of powerstrokes. Undoubtedly the most popular and the best diesel put into their cars. The ones that followed certainly declined in reliability and economy.
I'd say, find an ALH and mod it. They are an amazing engine, and they are generally known as the diesel engine that made diesels attractive again in passenger cars.
Great post. Enjoyed reading it.
And I think you're correct, even though it's a large statement, with "[ALH is] the diesel engine that made diesels attractive again in passenger cars." Quite a good point, and I think it's accurate. It certainly wasn't anyone American, Japanese, BMW or even Mercedes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatzee View Post
I think the BEW is as good an engine as the ALH, and I say this having driven at least 100,000 in each one, if not more. Yes, they have cam issues, but none of the ones I've seen or wrenched on have shown any cam wear (as opposed to the BRMs)

I think there is a love for the ALH as being the best of the best - it's a great engine, but I think the BEW loses a few people because it's a bit different.
I think the "bit different" part is valid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_04GolfTDI View Post
The BEW engine is the best thing ever invented.
How do you really feel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post

Always a great post from Frank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
within the world of these engines, AHU is the best long lasting, ALH is better but more complicated to work on for simple stuff but its nearly bullet proof, BEW is would be a solid gold engine if it was not for cam issues.
Good thing the cam issues are somewhat easily fixed, no?

I'm happy to find this thread as I have recently found myself discarding MKVs when window shopping on CL. I previously thought the post ~2003 diesel motors from VW had missed the mark, as most diesel engines did when they had to give up mechanical rotary fuel pumps and turn to computerization. Although my education is limited with diesels, I observed the same thing happen with the Cummins i6 motors. The 12valve guys hail it as the best thing to ever grace the earth. The 24v motors added valves (obviously lol) and electronics to comply with emissions, and was still a pretty good motor. The next Cummins iteration (2003- ~2009) fell short and ran into issues previously unthinkable from what I read. Same with Ford. The legendary 7.3 got replaced with a craptastic 6.0. Trucks with them motors can't hardly be given away on CL.

Last edited by 2000alhVW; September 24th, 2018 at 16:03.
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 17:23   #42
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Not sure anyone ever wins in these discussions, but I did want to point out to 2000alhVW that all TDIs are electronically controlled. If I'm not mistaken the '96 Passat TDI was the first drive-by-wire VW sold in North America. The electronic controls are a big part of why the rotary pump TDIs run so well and deliver such excellent fuel economy. They were a huge step forward in all ways from the AAZ engine that preceded them. Truly a breakthrough.

I like PDs, and I would venture the BEW is the best of VW's PD engines. Cam wear is much less likely than on the BRM or BHW. Turbos fail earlier than on ALHs, EGR valves are problematic, the clip connectors on the intercooler piping wear out, and some BEWs don't have replaceable valve cover gaskets (and valve covers cost a lot). But overall it's a good engine. Doesn't deliver the FE that an ALH does, but it is more refined. Injectors are almost impossible to service in North America, too.

But I'd buy one under the right conditions. Probably won't however, because my ALH simply won't die. :-)
Old September 24th, 2018, 19:24   #43
flan
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 tdi jetta
Fuel Economy: 43

How do you tell if the seal is replaceable on the pd cover?
Old September 25th, 2018, 07:42   #44
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

click on the graphic in this product and you'll see how you can determine whether or not your valve cover gasket is replaceable.

https://www.idparts.com/valve-cover-...hw-p-2489.html
Old September 25th, 2018, 21:43   #45
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

I only know the 1.6 na engines in the rabbits and the bew engine. I have the tools and knowledge for those so I stick with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote