www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 13th, 2018, 04:48   #31
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

A long time ALH owner I bought my 04 with 259k miles on it.
It needed a heater core and suspension work but now at 28xxxx miles it has been dead reliable.
A little smoky on cold starts, and still with the original cam.
It still has the MK4 foibles but I am used to them.
With a VNT 17, tune and EGR delete, it is fast , fun and economical car.
Old March 13th, 2018, 16:45   #32
maxmoo
Veteran Member

If VW hadn't built the ALH the BEW would have been a great engine.
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2018, 17:06   #33
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmoo View Post
If VW hadn't built the ALH the BEW would have been a great engine.
or, the ALH is a great engine because VW built the BEW
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 02:37   #34
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

390k miles on my 05' bew w/ stock cam, runs great ...but i still prefer the alh over all others
Old March 14th, 2018, 16:29   #35
halocline
Veteran Member

I replaced the cam on mine at a timing belt change and it cost about an extra $500-600 if I remember. It's not that bad, and you only have to do it once. I'm at 175K and it's running great. I did invest in a VNT17 and a tune when the original BW turbo took a dive, likely from a horrible experience at the dealer several years ago. The tune/turbo combo turned out so great that I went for a better clutch and SMF. That's been the most expensive adventure.
halocline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 11:59   #36
Franko6

I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; March 20th, 2018 at 13:24.
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 19:24   #37
maxmoo
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko6 View Post
I think have worked on EVERYTHING that is a VW diesel(Except an 8.7l Skoda V-8). I have worked on engines that don't go into cars.

I can honestly say that when you have good maintenance, the right oil, and drive the car the way it is supposed to be driven, the BEW is maybe not on par with the ALH, but in some respects, it's more durable. We do not get a lot of work on the BEW. We get a TON of work on the BRM. It is not just that the BRM has 10 more horsepower, but the way the cam was overloaded.

Probably the one way that the BEW is better than the ALH is that the injectors are very durable. But to upset the WVO crowd, susceptible to failure if using biodiesel. We strongly discourage of any excessive amount of biodiesel n the PD motors.

One of the best vehicle setups is the 2005-6 Jetta Wagon or Golf. They often come with the DSG and that combination is really quite sweet or a 5-speed manual. It's not a barn-burner, but it will work very well for a long time.

If there is any one thing I don't like about the BEW is the split intake port and the 'Sardine Can' EGR cooler. Most of the time, it's a non-issue.
I thought the DSG, BEW combo only came in the beetles....or am I mistaken?
maxmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 05:30   #38
JB05
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43/41/40

Mine has the Jatco 09A transmission which has proved to be very reliable and spontaneous. No major problems with the BEW, but I only have 152K miles; bought new in '04.
I do have a Malone stage 1.5 tune with Dynamic EGR and a VNT delete.
JB05 is offline   Reply With Quote