fuel filter / water separator

lutefisk

TDI
Golf, 2002, dirty polar bear (white)
Some questions about the filter/separator:

1. My Bentley book shows only one o-ring on the T valve. How do I know before I disassemble the filter if the black and blue o-rings I got from the dealer will work on my T valve? I have a 2002 Golf.

2. I recall some discussion a while back of using Cat fuel filters instead of VW. Do they have a drain too, or do people just replace them instead of draining off the water?

3. What is a Fram SureDrain?

Thanks for the help

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
1. There are two orings on the Tvalve. One black, one blue. Note their position when you remove the valve.

tdi369

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 golf white
I replaced my fuel filter yesterday. I lost my washers that comes with a new filter so I just used the old. the answer to 3 about the cat filter, those are .2 micron if I am correct and oem are .5 microns. it is a bit longer than oem so it stick out higher. there is a thread about cat filter.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
CAT filter does not have a water drain. But I use Stanadyne Performance Formula every tank, and only buy my fuel at one great truck stop that goes through a lot of fuel.

The combination has yielded no water in my filter ever. So now I have the awesome CAT filter.