ALH TDI engine transplant into '84 Vanagon

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, I understood about the connections.....that's got me in a head scratching mood lately. My piping varies in size (both inside and outside obviously).

Here are the measurements, inside diameters!

Inlet at the Turbo - 1.5 inches (not an issue on the filter side)
Discharge at the Turbo - 1.08 inches

Pipe into the InterCooler - 1.62 inches
Pipe out of the IC - 1.62 inches

Inlet at the EGR - 1.7 inches

The Inlet and Outlet pipes on the TDI ALH InterCooler are both 2.25 inches (inside diameter).

I think the logic of the increase in diameter going away from the Turbo allows the Air Charge to slow down (expand) a bit (same pressure), thus better heat absorption in the piping, but more importantly, less "drag" as the air is pushed toward the IC and on to the Intake.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, to be honest I never even measured the ID of any of the openings. I had it in my mind to use aftermarket silicone hose as connectors with quality clamps along with the stainless mandrel bent tubes. All of this stuff was available from our local HP store. I choose stainless because I could cut and tack the sections with my mig and then have my friend tig them together. The aluminum looks nice, but would have been harder to deal with.

The aftermarket HP turbo plumbing is fairly standard in size except the VW stuff is on the small size. While the ID is probably the most important, more important is that the connections are tight. Pushing a Vanagon on a hot day up a long hill, you will see some very high continous pressure and high intake temps. I actually blew a connection off in Nevada last year. It was in the low end of the turbo outlet and oil residue was accumlating in the bellow section. Down side of the silicone hose is, it doesn't like to have oil on it. As a fix, I replaced the bellow with a peice of Gates green hose and 4 clamps. It has been fine since.

I actually did not need that bellow between the turbo and intercooler. There is minimal side to side movement of the engine and the silicone 90 I used at the turbo outlet has plenty of movement in it if needed. It could be a one peice pipe between the turbo outlet and the intercooler. I am going to get creative and put a couple more bends in that pipe to get it up behind the rear valance more hidding that it has a turbo at all. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I have the InterCooler modified and ready for the welder (aluminum). I cut the pipes (In and Out) off to re-position them. It looks as if the Inlet will be a direct shot from the Turbo outlet and the Outlet will be a 90 short straight another 90 at the Intake. Also, the hole in the pillar of the left rear of the Van wasn't too bad to cut out. The pressure wash I gave the Van underneath has made things a lot cleaner to work with ........not so much dust in the eyes!

I have almost all the aluminum "stuff" ready to drop off at the welder. I've measured (and measure again), cut, checked/re-checked, cleaned, etc., and now feel pretty good about it. The aluminum piping I'm using is just what you see in the photos of the InterCooler in one of those previous posts....everything else will be short runs of black hose with clamps!

The Air Filter Housing is suppose to come this afternoon. I'm a little excited about it and anxious to take on the challenge of locating/mounting it.

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Andy, it's looking good. I haven't been on the web in a while, so it's hard to keep following too closely, but it looks like you are making good progress. I have a Donaldson air filter, I'm curious how you will mount it, I still need to come up with a permanant mounting solution for mine.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Andy, it's looking good. I haven't been on the web in a while, so it's hard to keep following too closely, but it looks like you are making good progress. I have a Donaldson air filter, I'm curious how you will mount it, I still need to come up with a permanant mounting solution for mine.
Jon, I'm going to break tradition with the Air filter and Intake piping to the the EGR.

I will be mounting the Donaldson (similar) filter assembly in the pillar area (if that's the correct term) in front of the right rear tail light assembly. The piping will go straight across the back of the Vanagon engine bay above the carrier bars (about license plate level) and then arc into the Turbo Inlet. All the sensor stuff will be at the filter housing.

I was disappointed with the Air Filter Housing, but I feel pretty sure I can make it work!

I learned this morning that my aluminum welder will be on vacation all next week. So, that part will but pushed back another week.

I've considered going ahead with all the electricals now!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Small update:

Well, I have finally worked thru the round canster filter housing issues and hopefully will be able to address the concerns. As I mentioned previously, the purchase was a little disappointing. However, it did come with a good mounting bracket system. Last night I spent over 6 hours trying to find a round filter that I could improvise and make work in the canister. Long story short, my good friend Wayne at a mom and pop auto parts store looked thru their filters on the shelf and come up an excellent selection.

It will have approximately 116 square inches of filter surface area vs about 80 sq inches for the OE TDI. It's overall demensions are 4" by 10" with 4X9.25 in outside filter surface (pi [3.14159]), well you do the calculations!

Anyway, I hope to put it all together over the next couple of days.....photos will follow.

The right engine motor mounting bracket is about to get the best of me. And, unfortunately, it is the easiest of the two brackets to fabricate.

That's about it for now!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Wow, that looks very nice with the 15* fitment.

thanks for the thread link rsxsr

Andy, keep up the good work on your conversion. I hope to see it at FEST in September!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Samba link

Andy, I know you have been busy. Did you see this thread? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=471301 mark

Yes, I did see that project. Awesome!

I tell you, the left-side mounting bracket is about to drive me nuts. Although I do not have the right-side bracket fabricated, the prototype is finished.

Due to the change in the angle of the Outlet of the Turbo, the available room to come in on an angle from the front (TB end) of the engine is a challenge. And, I will not feel comfortable without doing some sort of bracing from the bellhousing end of the engine. Also, I'm about 99% sure that I am going to cut-off the EGR exhaust pipe on the manifold..........get it out of the way!

Anyway, due to personal things, I've not had an opportunity to look at it today. When I hit "send" on this post, I'll be heading out to the garage to look it all over again!:eek: :D

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:.........remember, all comments are at top of photos! (Yeah, I like to be different!)

Left motor mount (brackets from engine to mount) (PITA)
The following photos are of the prototype that I have been working with for several days........in the middle of the night, the design/location/orientation hit me!

Hopefully, my fabricator will be able to replicate, ........don't laugh at my drawings or my metal stock! (An abandoned road sign. Since this is the prototype, there was no need to remove the backing....LOL)

The final product will be either of 3/16 inch or 1/4 inch metal!

This is my "sketch on a napkin" (so to speak) that worked out quite well! If you notice, the photo seems distorted. The lines are all straight/parallel, proper angles, etc.

This "one piece" of the motor mount bracket is laying over the drawing. Remember, this is a prototype! It will be bolted on the left side to the bracket that is bolted on the end of the engine.........see next photos!

Here is another angle of the above! Reinforcement between the top and bottom will be needed.....definitely!

Here the "two" pieces of the bracket are clamped together and are upright relative to the position they will be installed. Notice the cross piece is a little long!

Another angle of the above

This view shows how the "second" part of the backet looks from another angle

The next three photos start at the bottom of the TDI engine and progress up to the top of the "second" part of the motor mount bracket. You can see it will have Three bolts securing it to the block. It can be further secured if I deem it necessary!

Notice the top of the bracket, it is level with the Vanagon body....remember, the motor is at 50 degrees

Here you can see the bracket sitting on top of the motor mount. The stud of the motor mount is sticking up there in the middle .....pretty obvious! And, there is more that ample room to place the 19mm nut on it!

The black pipe is the oil feed line to the Turbo. Also, the thingy above the oil line is the back side of the Exhaust Port for the EGR...

Well, there's a good number of additional photos, but I think this is the limit per post!

Last edited:

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, looks good. You may want to triangulate your mounting a little more on the block. I have seen a brace that goes from the bellhousing to the top of the transmission to strengthen the case. I have not seen the need for it, but did need to add a 3rd engine mount to limit the up and down movement of the engine. Here is a picture of how I triangulated the L/S mount. You don't see the bracing on the backside.

Here is a picture of the same mount after I added the torque limiter. It may look familiar.

Here is a picture of the transmission brace I came across.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mark, I remember you mentioning the torque limiter! I meant to ask you how/where you installed it. That sure does look familiar ...........Rabbit!

Do you have any bracing from the bell housing end of the engine over to the left mount? That sort of concerns me. Also, I will add at least one more means to bolt on the front part of the bracket. The three bolts appear to be fine, and since there are additional points close by, it would be best to do so.

Also, I do remember seeing the photo of the tranny support! I may look into fabricating something like that ..........but, later!

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, I don't have anything to triangulate the L/S engine mount to the transmission. Because of the transaxle design, there is very little twisting movement on the engine mounts like a conventional rwd vehicle. Almost all movement is up and down. The further from the transmission, the more it moves. You can't see in my picture, but the backside of my engine bracket is also reinforced. Catching both the front and side of the block seemed to be enough. There is also a peice of flat stock welded to the back side that runs out to the mount and gussets where the bracket bolts to the mount. When you mentioned transmission mount, the syncro bracket came to mind. I don't have that brace and not even sure if the diesel bellhousing has that boss to bolt to. You could fab something, but like you said there is plenty to do.

We were supposed to be headed to the High Country Bus Campout, but ran into some problems getting the interior back together and I managed to pull a muscle in my back 2 weeks ago. Plus, it has been hot as hell up there in the south. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:

No photos to post, however lots of things beginning to fall in place.
1. The welder guy did finish one part of the mount bracket from the mount up to the main bracket.
2. He looked over the prototype for the right side bracket and thinks it will be an easy fab.
3. I have a "ton" of work ready for the aluminum welder (different dude).
....Oil pan (see previous photos)
....InterCooler, relocating of inlet and outlet pipes, provision for the Temp/Pressure sensor
4. The Donaldson "type" air filter is almost finished. I did a lot of improvising using available "stuff" laying around the shop and "off the shelf". It will have about 20% more filter area than the OEM.
5. The Turbo Piping......I finally "put it all together." Everything should be here early next week. A portion of the InterCooler modding will use some of the pieces parts coming in the order.
6. Return Coolant pipe for the heater. I had to have it re-directed due to the OEM direction being on the left side vs right side.
7. In the process of fabricating a mount for the round coolant cansister.
8. Preparing for the fuel filter housing and mounting bracket. I'm using one that come off an early 80s model Rabbit Diesel.

I'll be giving up the available space for locating the battery in the engine bay. However, since the TDI Compression ratio is lower than the MK1 models (18.5 vs 19.5 and the 1.5 had 23:1), it would seem to me that the battery up front under the seat will be just fine.

Last edited:

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Use very large cables to your starter. At least two sizes up from normal. Call me if you need a crimper.

I sure was hoping to see this at my summer GTG.

I now have you down for the winter one, in your van.

colforbin

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI - 2006 Passat VR6
Wow. After your PM pointing me here I just spent the past 2 hours reading this whole thread. Very nice work, pictures, writeup, etc... You are getting close! I'm excited for you. Makes me miss my old '85 Westy. Would've been nice to have a TDI in her. :)

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update: Last for this week

Today, I spent some time fabricating the holding brackets for the Donaldson style air filter housing and the round ALH Coolant tank.

The following photos will provide some idea of what I've been working with and attempting to do. Of course, all the aluminum pieces will be polished prior to final installation.

The Air Filter is the Donaldson Style. I'm using the mounting brackets that come off a Thermo King Isuz unit and the "throw-away" one time use filter. I cut out the filter element. The remaining part is very sturdy round black plastic canister. It roughly measures 10 inches long by 6 inches in diameter.

This photo is of the two ends of the Donaldson style air filter.

This is a view of the Inlet end of the filter element. It has approximately 115 square inches of outside surface area. The ALH TDI filter element has less than 80 square inches of surface area.

Here you can see the Inlet end with the "in the rough" aluminum cap.

Here you can see the MAF assembly "sticking" in the Inlet end.

Here the unit is bolted in its "home" in front of the right rear tail light assembly. Also, you can see the "home" of the Coolant tank. (as stated above, the aluminum will be polished).

Here the Air Filter Housing can be seen looking thru the right rear tail light assembly.

Here you can see the original Thermo King mounting brackets.

This is a close-up of the Air Filter Inlet area. Notice the polished aluminum and the stainless steel mounting screws.

This is a view of the mounting bracket for the round ALH Coolant tank.

This another view of the Coolant tank with the engine in the back ground. The bottom outlet pipe from the tank will go directly to the left to the piping on the engine. The smaller inlet pipe will have to be "snaked" over to the rear of the head. The coolant level sensor wires are visible and will be functional. Also, the aluminum in the foreground will be trimmed away on an angle.

It is my intent to use 2.5 inch flexible exhaust pipe for the intake piping across the back of the engine bay to the area of the Inlet to the Turbo. It will probably not be any more difficult to modify, mount, etc., than regular Intercooler piping.

I forgot to take a photo of the "Intake end" of the filter housing............ I'll do that and post later!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, One more Update:

Here are a few more photos of the Air Filter Assembly. The MAF assembly can be seen here. It is secured by a custom fabricated bracket on the top of the filter housing end. The end of the MAF assembly "seals" into the end of the filter element very tight and secure.

Although, 95% of the filter assembly will be out of sight, I do plan to give the outside a good cleaning and coat of paint!

And, finally, a view from the rear of the air filter assembly. The diameter is 6 inches. The angled fins come on the filter and were actually about half way up the filter element. I cut them off and mounted them at the rear as seen. To keep the filter centered, I used the "bottom" of a paint can .........worked just fine!

EDIT: In the above pic, what you see is the Intake end of the filter housing. The plastic fins are from the bottom of the filter. I have since installed a cover over the end of the Intake (SS dog bowl fit perfect). I cut a hole on the side and installed a snorkel style tube. The reason for the mod was to reduce "intake noise" as much as possible. this edit was done on 12/28/2017.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update, last day of July, 2011

Okay, I try to never let a day go by without doing something on my project, even if it is just thinking about it.:D

Well, recently and today as well, I've been going over the electrical stuff again. Although I have spent numerous hours studying the ALH TDI wiring schematics, made copies (enlarged), made notes on the copies, typed up numerous pages on various circuits, etc., I am by no means an expert on the matter.

So, what's bothering me now is identifying which circuits that need to be integrated with the Vanagon circuits.

Here is my list thus far: (two things to keep in mind, I am using the TDI cluster and Ignition)
1. Head light "bright indicator circuit".......should be straight forward and appears to be so.
2. Signal light indicator circuits (left and right). Although the Vanagon only has "one light" in the cluster that indicates that a signal light is "ON" I can tap-into the signals at the Emergency Flasher wiring .........pretty straight forward.
3. Rear deck lid/Sliding Door/Front doors. These will all need to be addressed for obvious reasons and to keep the "little lites" from coming on in the Cluster. This appears to be rather easy as well.
4. Instrument lights dimmer........the TDI Cluster will need to be connected to the Instrument dimmer switch on the Vanagon panel........... I'm thinking both are straight forward 12 volts. If anyone knows different, please let me know!
5. Brake Light Switch(es)...............I've not exactly figured out this one! I feel about 99% certain that I will need to use the TDI set-up, on both circuits (Brakes & Cruise) cause the ECU will get upset if it does not detect a working Brake Light Switch......then the flashing GP light!:(
6. Use of the "Two Key System" must be done in a fashion that provides safety! I believe the TDI Ignition (mounted under the dash like a anti-theft device) should be used to turn-on the TDI power system and engine functions, except for the fuel ON/Off valve at the IP. That should be connected to the Coil Hot Wire on the Vanagon system. The Starter function should be thru the Vanagon systems as well. These two functions will prevent starting the engine with a locked steering wheel!

Now, Gurus, am I going to be surprised by anything?............will not having a Jetta Radio tied into the system going to be an issue with the IMMOBILZER? Remember, I do have the ALH TDI Ignition and Valet Key for this system (everything came from the same 2002 Jetta)?

Comments welcome!;)

Last edited:

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
please let me know!
5. Brake Light Switch(es)...............I've not exactly figured out this one! I feel about 99% certain that I will need to use the TDI set-up, on both circuits (Brakes & Cruise) cause the ECU will get upset if it does not detect a working Brake Light Switch......then the flashing GP light!:(
!;)
I think that I can help you with this one. :D
You have to use the TDI brake switch. I replace the two independent switches with the new style switch all in one, because you don’t have to synchronize them. I corrected the picture on my first post.
The ECU has to receive ground from the brake lamps filaments and 12V when you brake.

Look here

João

rackaracka

Veteran Member
Maybe it would be a good time to send the ECU out to your favorite tuner and get the Immobilizer and EGR deleted, as well as get a stage 2 tune. :) Then you won't have to worry about that element.

Since it is a 2002 you are going to have an ABS fault code (Since you don't have the ABS computer) and possibly others. I am certain that the tuner could address these issues.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Well, One more Update:

And, finally, a view from the rear of the air filter assembly. The diameter is 6 inches. The angled fins come on the filter and were actually about half way up the filter element. I cut them off and mounted them at the rear as seen. To keep the filter centered, I used the "bottom" of a paint can .........worked just fine!
An Engineer at work

What's the purpose of the angle fins? Is it air-powered fan to bring cool air in from the rear?

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, I second having the immobilizer disabled in the ECU. I can't be of much help because I blended the TDI into the stock vanagon wiring and cluster. You need to think about an emergency situation where the van might need to be started by someone else.

I did use the factory TDI brake pedal switch. The bracket took a bit to figure out. The switch has an odd way of installing and adjusting. But works. The ECU also gets a ground through the brake light filaments when they are off.

I did run into one small problem using the Vanagon stock wiring. I could not get the engine to shut off without unplugging the ignition switch. I found that the alternator circuit was feeding power back through cluster through the ignition switch and then on to the ECU. I bought a heavy duty diode and added that on the terminal 15 of the ignition switch. That solved the problem. I carry a spare diode, but the original has worked for 20K miles. Looks like good progress. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maybe it would be a good time to send the ECU out to your favorite tuner and get the Immobilizer and EGR deleted, as well as get a stage 2 tune. :) Then you won't have to worry about that element.

Since it is a 2002 you are going to have an ABS fault code (Since you don't have the ABS computer) and possibly others. I am certain that the tuner could address these issues.
Yes, I've known all along that the ABS light would be problematic. But, strangely, on the Cluster wiring (Blue Side, connector T32), the ABS wire is suppose to be in position #19....but, there is no wire!:confused: I've been over those wires a dozen times with the multi-meter! Still no wire for the ABS. The factory black rag taping is still intact, so the wire was not "lost" out.

Yes again, I've been strongly considering sending off the ECU for the deletes and maybe a tune! The EGR delete can be done with VCDS with no issues (at least not with my '00 Jetta).

T D I Power - the air filter element came with the directional fins on it. They were mounted about 20% up the element on the end of a round plastic "can" (my term). I cut the fins off and lowered them to the end of the element. That element must go in a housing that has a smaller diameter. The idea is to whirl the air so that the lower end of the element doesn't begin to plug first (I'm guessing). Anyway, due to location, none of that will be visible!

Yes, I've pretty much figured out the brake switch......... I sort of knew all along, however, if I could have (probably possilble) used the Vanagon wiring, I'd rather do so!

The Clutch switches seem to be hard to find. I really need to know the difference in the part numbers.......one of them is for the Starter function (normally open) and the other is for the Cruise function (normally closed).

Well, hopefully my welder has finished he engine mount brackets, parts will be delivered today, etc.............getting excited about doing the wiring!:D

Last edited:

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Andy, I used an off the shelf bayonet switch from the local parts house. It has two connectors on it. I am using it to keep the ECU happy and for the cruise control cutout. Since I am using the stock vanagon ignition switch and wiring, I have no need for the starter lockout feature of the clutch. I actually do not like that "safety" device. I believe it causes additional wear to the thrust bearing each time you start the engine. The clutch is forcing the crank against the thrust bearing with zero oil pressure. That can't be good. It was really there to "teach" idiots how to start their cars if they accidentally tried to start it in gear. mark

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Purpose of fins

An Engineer at work

What's the purpose of the angle fins? Is it air-powered fan to bring cool air in from the rear?

As you can see from these two "thumbnail" photos, the element comes with the fins on it. I removed the entire plastic piece and then cut off the fins. Then I mounted the fins at the intake end of the filter housing. It is now a permanent part of the Filter Housing. I will need to remove the fin assembly from future replacement elements to allow them to fit into the housing........once about every 30k miles!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update: EDIT: Although I used the finished fuel tank for probably 65k miles, I replaced it with an eBay buy. Two reasons I replaced it. 1. the big patch on the bottom might attract the attention of a border guard (US or Canadian). 2. it did begin to stay "wet" in one spot. And, if some road debris ever hit it in the right place I could have been in a mess. edit on 21/28/2017.

Here are some comments and photos about tying up loose ends.......mainly due to the fact we've had a break in all the rain and now lower humidity.
1. Finishing the fuel tank
2. Finishing the coolant pipes ..actually following thru on a decision change. I went back to the OE steel coolant pipes that come on the Vanagon. I have a set of plastic pipes that come out of a 90 Westy. But, the holes in the cross members under my '84 Vanagon will not accomodate them without modification.

So, look what I've finished today (Also, I did remove and install a dish washer for the wife today)

Fuel tank first .........remember this beast? Go back earlier in this thread for full details on the total rebuild of this tank.

Five coats of Truck Bed Liner paint

Top side with all the discolorations ........cleaner than it looks!

Here you can see the Red-Cote inside the filler hole. To see the write-up about the fuel tank, within this Thread, click on this link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=8

Nice! Three coats of Truck Bed Liner paint...the holes have clear tape over them.

Coolant pipes next
I'm not sure if I previously posted this next photo...don't think so!
This is a photo of the coolant pipes before I removed them from the Vanagon. They sure look bad. But, that area was the worst by far!

EDIT: as posted I did remove, clean and paint the coolant pipes. But, they are rusting again. Two options: Remove and redo using POR 15 or something similar. Or, replace with Stainless Steel. edited on 12/28/2017..

This is the worst pipe.......hot side going to the Radiator up front!

This is the return pipe

Inside view of return pipe, engine end!......................no corrosion inside! (no cavities.....smile!)

Inside view of the hot pipe going toward the Rad. ......no corrosion inside

I believe that's the max on photos per post.

The coolant pipes were cleaned far beyond what you see above. I used Naval Jelly, then soap with steel wool, then Naval Jelly again and then after more washing with steel wool, I finished with a coarse buff! Also, before painting (see next post), I cleaned the pipes from end to end with acetone! (big can of nail polish remover....LOL)

See next post for the final results!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update: EDIT: See the edit in the post above ...........

These photos are of the re-painted coolant pipes that go under the Vanagon from the engine bay to the front of the vehicle to the Radiator. See previous page for details prior to painting.

The paint is 500 Degree engine enamel. Per the instructions on the cans, I put on seven coats and with the overlap, there is probably clos to 12 coats.

I suppose the lighting caused this pipe to look sort of grey ......trust me, it is very dark black!

I met with my steel welder this evening. He's been in the process of a job change (maintenance supervisor at a local judical building complex, upgrade for him). Anyway, he hopes to have my engine mount brackets finished by the end of the week.

I'm expecting parts to be delivered tomorrow for my Turbo piping/Intercooler. I will cut some pieces for my Aluminum welder. It's really difficult to mix and match to make these odd sizes fit! My InterCooler has different size fittings than the Outlet coming out of the Turbo and then on the other end there is an issue in size from the IC over to the Intake. But, I will solve all that over the next few days!

Lastly, I've been going over all the wiring "stuff." It should go relatively fast! I do not want to put anything on until the engine is sitting on the motor mounts!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:

Well, I finally figured out the Intake "piping" from the Filter Husing to the Turbo. I've been scratching my head on this one. I've tried several different approaches to solve the problem and finally come up with the right combo of "pipes and fittings" to get the job done.

The problem to address was the odd sizes to deal with. The Turbo intake is 1.8 inches and the MAF housing is 2.75 inches. I searched the Internet high and low trying to find a few pieces of pipe, couplings, elbows, etc., to make this thing work. It was a nightmare trying to put it all together........I'm now pleased with the results!

I'll try to post photos in the next day or so!...........or maybe later tonight!

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update:

Intake piping from Filter Housing to the Turbo..... There would be more photos, unfortunately the battery was dying in the Camera!

The following photos will take you from the Filter Housing across the back of the engine between the back engine bay of the Vanagon and down to the Turbo!

Here, you can see the OE TDI air hose connected to the MAF. It is actually turned around backwards from the OEM set-up. There is a small bend (angle) in the pipe that points it toward the "back center" of the engine bay.

In this photo, you are still looking toward the Filter Housing. The area involved is directly behind the TDI engine (TB end) and the back of the engine bay area of the Vanagon. The bungy cord is holding up the exhaust system (CAT). If you look real close, you can see "part" of the OEM black plastic Intake Pipe that typically goes down behind the Intake Manifold on the TDI engine. I cut it off at a very precise place to make it work here...........It is in the background connected to the Blue connector pipe. It contains the CCV connection and the heat element connector (not visible in photo). It also has a bend in it that points staight across the back of the engine bay....perfect!

Here is a slightly different view.

This is a view looking thru the hole behind the license plate. If anyone going to the TDIclub Fest in Lexington can tell me what the shinny metal piece is made from, I'll buy you a drink at the bar. It is roughly 2 and 3/8 inch in diameter.

Here you are looking at the piping going into the Turbo. The Turbo is not visible.....but, you can see the exhaust and harmonic balancer to the right! A brace is attached to the carrier bar mount......see the nut to the left! Clamps are around the brace!

This is a view of the same flex-pipe looking up from the bottom. The Turbo is in view here.

In this photo, you are looking straight down from the top side at the Flex-pipe going to the Turbo. From left to right: Intercooler pipe coming up to the Intake, black carrier bar, Flex-pipe going to the Turbo, and down low is the exhaust pipe. Of course, the Cam Sprocket and a few other TB components are visible as well!

Here you can see the OE Black pipe that attaches to the TDI Intake............there on the left!

A little back ground: The Flex-pipe come from a junk yard.....saw it and figured I could use it one day (MacGyver???), the Intercooler pipe at left (Black piece) is OE from the Jetta, the aluminum pipe on down (barely visible) is 2" ID from the Internet, and the exhaust pipe is also a junk yard piece from a Jeep Grand Cherokee!........it works!

Although I do have the InterCooler temporarily mounted, I did not take photos because the pipes are not connected yet ..........the welder will be address all that later this week!

Last edited: