Can you buyback your buyback?

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
Good afternoon.
The first car I have ever bought brand new and gone into debt for was my 2013 4 door golf dsg tdi.
I loved the car, I always touted how clean the exhaust was and always spoke highly about it to everyone. Needless to say I was extremely disappointed to find out it was part of a huge recall.:mad:
I was going to keep it, until today when I looked around and found one locally at the dealer with same miles for 17000. Its not black tinted and tuned nor does it have a sunroof, however I don't think the 10 000 price difference justifies keeping mine..
That is the reason for my post : I would like to sell mine back to VW and then buy it back from VW.
Is this possible???:confused:
If not I can buy another one, but I would prefer mine.
Why?

Here is why : during the scandal I was fortunate enough to buy another 2013 blue dsg golf TDI and this one was not broken in by me and I noticed its not at smooth or powerful as mine.
I attribute this to the break in which I heavily researched.

I am a huge believer on break in procedures. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles not 10 000 (probably like the blue one) and did second one at 5000, third at 10 000 and now going about 5000 between not the 10k ..
also its optioned exactly how I wanted it.
thoughts experiences sought here.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
To my knowledge, VW does not have approval to fix and resell the bought-back Generation 1 (or 2) vehicles. Any that you've seen for sale, have gone through "fix", not "buyback".

Opinion: If VW does not YET have the approval to fix and resell Gen 1 buybacks, it's likely that they never will get that approval, which means they're all going to the shredder.

Gen 3 buybacks were approved to fix and resell some time ago.

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
Thanks for the reply, I did not know that.
I just got off the phone with claims support.
They informed me the dealer has the option to buy the car once its bought back!

I am going to call the local sales manager now and ask about that.
This could be a way to get my car back and make some cash.

Last edited:

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat

Errr, why wouldn't you do the fix?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
That's what's supposed to happen BUT it is contingent on the vehicle being legally approved to be retrofitted and resold. As of right now, that is only possible for the 2015 models (i.e. Gen 3). All others ... go to a holding yard and sit there while VW figures out what to do with them. If VW is not legally allowed to resell them ... they can't.

Remember, only the 2015 models "actually" comply with emission standards once fixed (both stages - including the phase 2 that hasn't started yet). The previous models are "better than they were before but are still far from actually compliant".

How would you "make some cash" even in this situation?

The car can only be bought back once, OR it can only be fixed once. If you hypothetically buy the car in "fixed" form from VW, it's just another used car, although one with a decent warranty on it. It's unlikely that you would be able to resell it on the open market for more than what you hypothetically re-acquired the car from VW for.

Bear in mind that IF VW gets approval to fix and resell the bought-back Generation 1 models, AND VW tries to do that to a significant percentage of them, the market is going to be flooded with them, which will depress values.

If you want to keep the car, get it fixed. If you've had enough of it and never want to see it again, get it bought back. END. Not worth playing games with.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
By the way, if you happen to find a different car that has gone through "fix" (or not!) for sale at a good price, and the economics work out better for you to get yours bought back and buy that other one instead with the proceeds ... by all means! It won't be "yours" i.e. the same car, but so be it.

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
I spoke with the sales manager.
He said they can buy the car back but at auction, and there is no guarantee that he will be the top bidder...
What they would do is take notes on the condition so that when it does go up they can make a more informed bid.

I am guessing these things auction cheap. ~10k
I am not sure that it's worth the risk, for $3000-5000 in savings.

numbers:
buyback: 26 000
fix: 6000
Auction price ~ 10 000 - 12 000 (a guess)
purchase from dealer: 14 000 - 16 000 (less the longer I wait and the more flooded the market gets, and the more electric cars start to take over)

Math:
26 000 -6000 : 20 000
If my dealer is able to buy it at auction for say 12 000 and sell it to me for 15000 then I make $5000 more which is significant.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I spoke with the sales manager.
He said they can buy the car back but at auction, and there is no guarantee that he will be the top bidder...
What they would do is take notes on the condition so that when it does go up they can make a more informed bid.
I am guessing these things auction cheap. ~10k
I am not sure that it's worth the risk, for $3000-5000 in savings.
numbers:
buyback: 26 000
fix: 6000
Auction price ~ 10 000 - 12 000 (a guess)
purchase from dealer: 14 000 - 16 000 (less the longer I wait and the more flooded the market gets, and the more electric cars start to take over)
Math:
26 000 -6000 : 20 000
If my dealer is able to buy it at auction for say 12 000 and sell it to me for 15000 then I make $5000 more which is significant.
This could be a good financial opportunity for you. You run the risk of not getting your exact vehicle, but you could gain $5,000 in the process and possibly get your car back.

The Mannheim auction in Fredericksburg, VA has a parking lot full of TDIs... hundreds of cars. The auction market is currently flooded with them, so I would imagine that there are some very good deals out there.

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
That's what's supposed to happen BUT it is contingent on the vehicle being legally approved to be retrofitted and resold. As of right now, that is only possible for the 2015 models (i.e. Gen 3). All others ... go to a holding yard and sit there while VW figures out what to do with them. If VW is not legally allowed to resell them ... they can't.
Remember, only the 2015 models "actually" comply with emission standards once fixed (both stages - including the phase 2 that hasn't started yet). The previous models are "better than they were before but are still far from actually compliant".
How would you "make some cash" even in this situation?
The car can only be bought back once, OR it can only be fixed once. If you hypothetically buy the car in "fixed" form from VW, it's just another used car, although one with a decent warranty on it. It's unlikely that you would be able to resell it on the open market for more than what you hypothetically re-acquired the car from VW for.
Bear in mind that IF VW gets approval to fix and resell the bought-back Generation 1 models, AND VW tries to do that to a significant percentage of them, the market is going to be flooded with them, which will depress values.
If you want to keep the car, get it fixed. If you've had enough of it and never want to see it again, get it bought back. END. Not worth playing games with.
This could be a good financial opportunity for you. You run the risk of not getting your exact vehicle, but you could gain $5,000 in the process and possibly get your car back.

The Mannheim auction in Fredericksburg, VA has a parking lot full of TDIs... hundreds of cars. The auction market is currently flooded with them, so I would imagine that there are some very good deals out there.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
I think the gen 1's are approved for dealer's to buy at auction, that it what the sales manager said. Ill further confirm this.

I think I am going to try and do this, worst case I loose my TDI. I have two so what I am going to do is try this with both, first the blue one which I do not care as much about. If I am successful with that one , then Ill have more confidence with my black one.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It is possible that Gen 1 buyback-fix-resale process was quietly approved without the rest of us knowing.

But I suspect that the Gen 1's that you see being offered for sale, have gone through "fix" and not "buyback"!

Either way, let us know what happens, just be prepared for the possibility that the former-buyback vehicle you wish to purchase to replace the one you have, gets held up pending approval, or you have to switch to a vehicle that had the "fix" and was subsequently traded in.

There are notably fewer late-model TDIs on the road here; they used to be a common car, and now they're not.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Given what I know of the buyback, inventory, auction, and resale process here in the US it would seem highly unlikely you'd ever see your car again if you sell it back. Since the chances are most likely remote, you should make your decision whether or not to sell back based on not getting your own car back.

Do Canadian TDI owners not get compensated if they have their cars fixed? If you do, what's the difference between your car fixed, you paid for the fix, and the cost of a replacement? May not be as much money as you think. If you do the math that way you and think about the value of having your own car versus someone else's used car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, there is compensation for the fix in Canada, although it appears that the original poster is in the USA.

At least in my neck of the woods, if you buy a used car from a dealer, you are going to pay a couple hundred bucks in fees plus 13% sales tax; this will wipe out a good chunk of the extra profit that the original poster appears to be attempting to extract IF the numbers are realistic. If you want to keep your particular car, just get the fix and be done with it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you want to keep your particular car, just get the fix and be done with it.
This. Compensation is probably in the $6-8K range on that car. No taxes or title transfer, and you get to keep your car. If you want the car I'm not sure why you're even considering the buyback option.

CHawk

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4D DSG (gone buyback)
It is possible that Gen 1 buyback-fix-resale process was quietly approved without the rest of us knowing.
But I suspect that the Gen 1's that you see being offered for sale, have gone through "fix" and not "buyback"!
Before I turned in my (Gen 1) 2011 Golf last week, I checked listings on cars.com for similar vehicles. I found a number of them, mostly being sold by VW dealers, typically with 50-90K miles. Looking at the free Carfax with the listings, they were all recently listed as owned by VWGoA in Auburn Hills MI, which says to me they were part of the buyback, were repaired, and are now being resold.

I don't recall anything in the consent decree that prohibited VW from selling fixed vehicles--isn't that the only reason to fix them?

Regarding the original post, Google your VIN a couple times a week to see where your car might turn up for sale. Note that none of us can say for sure which vehicles VW decides will be repaired/resold, though condition and miles probably have a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

two

TDI
2 2013 golf 4 door dsg's
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses.
I am Canadian, I do miss Canada, I was born in Vancouver. I have been living in the Seattle area since 06 for work. I haven't moved back to Canada because of the insane real estate market which I predicted was going to crash in 2014 and still has not.

I totally forgot about the tax. That is a great point. Tax here is about 11%. so If I was to be able to buy it back from the local VW dealer for 15000, there is another 1500 in tax right there which does significantly cut into the potential profit margin.

I think What I am going to do is try this with Blue and see what happens and hold onto black until I can make a more informed decision on it.

Since the gen 1 and 2 can be bought at auction and resold by dealers, there is the potential for the TDI market to tank, also there is a show kicking around on Netflix called "dirty money" in which the first episode goes in depth about the TDI scandal. Lets just say that this show definitely paints an ugly picture of VW, N0x and diesels in genereal. WThis could also adversely effect values, in fact, I was pro fix up until I watched this because at the time I felt that N0x wasn't any worse that C0 or C02, which the show says is not true.

At any rate waiting as close as safely possible to the deadline will be the best option to see how the values are trending.

The main reason for not simply just fixing black is : the fix makes the car worse, the car is my favorite car I have owned but is not perfect and every day there are engineers like myself constantly usign computers to optimize EVERYTHING which means year over year there are better technologies and cars emerging.

thanks
Troy

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If you read posts here most say they have no adverse affects from the Gen 1 fix. Some have reported lower FE only to learn that FE improves as sensors reset and the car gets some miles on it with the new tune.

Don't count on the Netflix documentary affecting values. I doubt many people will watch it. I sell parts for these cars and I haven't watched it. The only thing I feel would have a significant impact on TDI values would be VW bringing in new TDIs again, which doesn't seem likely.

If you want to get some money out of VW and want to drive a TDI you're going to end up driving a fixed car, whether it's yours or another TDI. Perhaps you should drive a couple and see what you think. You can decide if it's worth forfeiting the money from the fix to keep your car as it was manufactured. Some people are doing that.

Chaz13

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
I would just buy another one.
I sold back my 2014 SE for $28K and the found a 15 SEL with 26K miles for $17.5 :)