Mpg @ 80mph

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So Toyotanation flagged my post in the Highlander Hybrid thread about breaking a forum rule about street racing and exceeding the speed limit, seriously got me laughing! In the HYBRID thread! Good stuff over that way, anyways I'll have a Cooler in the trunk :) I'm not cheap, just wise :D the only thing is the Passat is singing at 2400 RPM while the Highlander is down around 1200 RPM. Hmm, one wouldn't think a diesel would be geared this short as bronco stated

The 2015's DSG is about 2-300 RPMS lower gearing than the 12-14's.

80MPH is about 2100RPMS.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Don't forget your training session on how to use a gas pump!
lol, right, its a Oregon thing. lucky for me I have a 1K gallon tank beside my house and a complete fuel system with a 2 micron filter :D Plus with the NMS I can almost make LA on a single tank!

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual
Actually a surprising amount of variables when it comes to highway mpg. Temp , elevation , wind etc. My 2010 golf 6 speed manual with stage 2 eco tune seemed to run about 49mpg @ 75 mph with a loaded car and some AC but thats driving across high desert in summer time around 5000ft. At see level car seemed to do around 45 @ 75. The difference always surprised me. Regardless of your mpg it is just nice knowing that the tdi can beat about anything else on the road when it comes to high speed highway mpg.

Digital4n6

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi A8L TDI
My commute is 130 miles roundtrip, cruise control set usually at 75mph. Tank average is 42 mpg, fairly consistently.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat got hit hard in my work parking lot, rear ended by some dude going fast after doing Heroin and passing out, sent it over a Hedge while in park- both front and rear bumpers and skid plate got ripped off and the trunk all smashed 2 weeks prior to leaving- fingers crossed its fixable before we leave :confused:

jw4free

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I wonder what the net effect of a 'zero' tolerance policy on under the influence driving homicides would have...

Eye for an eye type thing.

Not your scenario of course, thanks to chance.

Self destructive lifestyle, fine, everyone has demons to chase around.
But, handing out destruction to others, that shouldn't be tolerated.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
kind of lucked out, sorta. goes in for repair Tuesday, USAA gives me a free rental, I take the rental to the airport and fly to san Diego saving 18 hours of drive time and 95 gallons of fuel in the highlander. We land, give them the same USAA claim number and get another free rental, explore LEGOLAND and the coast, drive to Disneyland then drive the same car to san Francisco and turn it in at that airport and fly home. Saves almost 30 hours drive time and a bunch of fuel- plus the 3yr old in the original plan may not have worked out so well.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat still tore apart- the impact bar got smashed into the frame and bent the metal on the trunk below the taillights, 8K worth of damage so we ended up flying to San Diego, rented a 2018 loaded Chevy Malibu and drove that to LEGOLAND, Disneyland and then up to San Francisco putting just a tad over 600 miles on the car using only 17 gallons of fuel @ 90 MPH up I-5 and let me tell you that this car rivals the NMS in every way from look and feel to handling manors! :D GM plans to put the 1.6 diesel in the new 2019 Malibu next year and also offer a hybrid! This car has less road noise as well so I would highly recommend people looking at the older NMS to check this new car out!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I have heard good reviews from Consumer Reports about the Malibu but I didn't know they were planning a diesel. Is a 1.6 going to be enough to get the car moving? I would definitely consider the Malibu if I was in the market but I think I will keep the NMS for at least t he warranty period

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I have heard good reviews from Consumer Reports about the Malibu but I didn't know they were planning a diesel. Is a 1.6 going to be enough to get the car moving? I would definitely consider the Malibu if I was in the market but I think I will keep the NMS for at least t he warranty period
plenty of power, they even put it in the AWD GMC terrain SUV :D I'm not in the market yet either but this is awesome news

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The 1.6 diesel, developed by Opel, has about the same HP/torque specs as the CKRA engine in our Passat, so I'm saying yes, it'll probably get moving about as well as the Passat. But would we buy one? In a Malibu, I think not. We're going back to the gasoline world, and given the number of miles we drive, the added fuel cost won't be that much. The only GM car we are likely to consider will be the Buick Regal, since it's (sort of) an Opel Insignia, built in Russelsheim....but it's a long shot.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds good power wise. I bet the Regal is a nice ride also. I am just glad to hear that diesel is still around for 2019

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I was really impressed. very little road noise @ 85MPH and it felt just like the Passat, maybe a tad better as it was a little stiffer and stuck the fast passed twisty great! and luckily for me diesel is cheaper than unleaded as I buy it wholesale- just grabbed a old home heating oil tank for free off craigslist, added a pump and 2 micron filter 280 gallons of green onroad diesel delivered is always $0.20 to $0.50 cents less than unleaded

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I was really impressed. very little road noise @ 85MPH and it felt just like the Passat, maybe a tad better as it was a little stiffer and stuck the fast passed twisty great! and luckily for me diesel is cheaper than unleaded as I buy it wholesale- just grabbed a old home heating oil tank for free off craigslist, added a pump and 2 micron filter 280 gallons of green onroad diesel delivered is always $0.20 to $0.50 cents less than unleaded
Nice to have a tank like that. I live in town so thanks but not tanks. :D
Now that I am retired I don't anticipate a new car before 2030 or so but I am tempted to play before dirt nap time.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Took our bone stock 2015 from northwest ohio to pigeon forge tennesse and averaged 44.8 mpg. That was with a truck loaded to the max. Myself, my wife and both kids with the AC on and the mountains. pretty much stayed 80 most of the time besides a few times doing 85 keeping up with the flow of traffic.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I did about 600 miles over two days last week commuting to CT for work, hand calculated it was just shy of 46mpg, speeds were 70-75 with a few jaunts up to triple digits for the smiles. MFD showed 50+ each time I parked, I'm guessing the tune is skewing the HWY miles a little bit.

Either way I'm happy that our tank after tank average is right around the same, and the wife drives with zero regard to mileage.