TDI
Out of TDI's
Why are the TDI values tanking??
The 2018 model year started,
The market is flooded with them (2015 TDI's),
Gasoline prices are *relatively* low,
People are moving to more efficient gasoline engine cars,
People are buying hybrids and electric cars,
The auto market is saturated (auto makers sales are declining).

Enough?

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Are you sure the value is tanking? I took a quick look at the 2015 TDI models under Autotrader.com and the listing price for example, used 2015 TDIs seem pretty strong. The TDI Passats are listed more or less equal what used 2015 V6 Honda Accord are asking for, which itself is an excellent car.

Last edited:

sail538

TDI
2015 Jetta Blk. DSG SEL
Yes,You just confirmed the low trade in $$ I just got at the dealer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They're not tanking. Sale prices of bought-back TDIs are healthy. Take a look on cars.com or autotrader. Golfs are running from the teens to the mid-20s, with some getting in the $30K range.

Trade-in values may have fallen because dealers have a lot more cars available to them. VW is running an auction site where dealers can bid on bought back cars, fix them, and offer them to customers. Currently there are close to 4,000 TDIs available on cars.com.

If you want to sell your fixed TDI you'd probably do much better to offer it for private sale than trade it in.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
And that post fix emission warranty is transferable to next owner if you sell it privately. If I buy an older and higher mileage emission fixed model from a VW dealer, there may not be any original warranty left.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
There are literally hundreds of them on all auction sites. VW is taking any offer they can get. Market is flooded.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There are literally hundreds of them on all auction sites. VW is taking any offer they can get. Market is flooded.
What do you base this on? A friend is actively looking for a specific TDI (GSW SEL, Red), and every one she calls on has been sold. Frequently cars I click on on Autotrader or Cars.com are no longer available. I think there are a lot on the market, and I think a lot are selling. I'm not hearing of any bargain basement prices, either.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Low miles, better condition 2015 Golf units are being offered at, and selling for good $$$$s:rolleyes:

Less well conditioned cars with a ton of miles are so-so in price.:(

so what is new?:)

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
They prices don’t seem to be coming down much to me. I was in the market for a ‘15 SEL. I ended up finding a “high mileage “ one with 100k on it for a pretty good price ($12.5) so jumped in it as I hadn’t seen anything below $17-20k+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The used ones were selling for $3-$5k higher than the fixed new ones (with $8k off deal I got) back in May when I purchased mine. I would assume they haven’t fallen off a cliff since.

There is certainly more competition now and some swear-off-VW folks due to DieselGate that may have temporarily suppressed prices, but let’s face it: diesels last. And 2015 was last year for the TDI. I think these cars will hold their value very well.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Looking at the CPO 2015's, prices seem to be in the $15k - $20k range for cars with low mileage (under 30k). The S model is on the low end of that range and the SEL is in the $20k ballpark. And Passat prices aren't much different than Jetta's.

Of course those are asking prices.

This might be where I wind up after the BB.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I got a 2015 GSW SEL w/ 60K for 15K and found my buddy a 2015 Golf SE w/ 60K with tech and lighting package (and Fender sound if that wasn't standard) for 11K. It was a tough choice for me to give up that Golf but with 2 kids and coming out of a 2012 JSW the wagon won out. Those were the best prices I found within 500 miles of San Diego area and I'm pretty sure the sellers weren't aware of the details of what they had (well, without a doubt the Golf seller didn't know about the packages--I was specifically looking for tech and lighting packages and didn't realize the one I scored my buddy had it until we were driving out of the parking lot when he got the keys and I noticed his BiXenons in the rearview mirror). I haven't seen anything remotely close to those prices since. Pricing seems pretty stable. Haven't really seen much going up or down. I've been using cargurus to check.

bockegg

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Loyalty TDi w/ DSG
I was interested in a 2015 Jetta TDi, but after reading comments, I don't think I want the "fixed" car that wasn't broken. And I heard a second recall is coming to replace CATS. That may totally ruin the car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I was interested in a 2015 Jetta TDi, but after reading comments, I don't think I want the "fixed" car that wasn't broken. And I heard a second recall is coming to replace CATS. That may totally ruin the car.
That is merely phase 2 of the already-announced two-part fix for those cars. It is only to address some remaining on-board-diagnostics issues. Catalyst replacement is indeed part of it (and this is nothing new! it's been known since the fix for those cars was announced) but this is only to ensure emissions compliance for the full 150,000 mile durability period. It should not have any effect on the way the car operates ... and it resets the warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have nothing but positive things to say about my new left over 2015 Beetle. It has the best warranty I have ever heard of for any car. No issues to date at 6500 miles so far. The first fix hasn't ruined it and I doubt the 2nd will either.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The used ones were selling for $3-$5k higher than the fixed new ones (with $8k off deal I got) back in May when I purchased mine. I would assume they haven’t fallen off a cliff since.

There is certainly more competition now and some swear-off-VW folks due to DieselGate that may have temporarily suppressed prices, but let’s face it: diesels last. And 2015 was last year for the TDI. I think these cars will hold their value very well.

I'm betting on it. As the original owner and the fix, I get (approx) $8,000 in pay back, and 162,000 miles in warranty

IMO, the transferable warranty is worth way more than a common CPO.

My warranty goes until July 15, 2026

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Purchased a CPO 2015 Golf SE with 16,000 miles in September

Best TDI purchase I have made. Car is avg'ing in the low 40's in the winter time and was close to mid 40"s in fall. Runs great.

I feel like I had purchased new it was in such good condition. Modifications made seem to have had no effect on mpg. Have fantastic warranty. A 1.49 interest rate, and when I am done with it to buy my fully electric VW in 3 years, I believe I have a highly desirable car to sell.

Thank you VW for putting large sums of money in my pocket when buying back my 15 Golf last march and then letting me purchase an even nicer lower mileage Golf for 16,000 dollars.:D