Driver side front turn signal socket

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Hello everyone:

My driver side front turn signal is not working (all the other left turn lights work, mirror and rear). I took the socket out (accessible with 'small hands' through the hole behind it) and the bulb seems ok. Just in case I put a new bulb and reinstall it with no joy :-( So thinking that the socket is bad I went and ordered one online with part # 3B0-953-123-D (link). Unfortunately when I received the part and went to install it I noticed that it does not fit in my current headlight assembly. This could be because the headlights I have are not the original from the factory. They are the DEPO style that I bought a few years ago and I explained in this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424839&highlight=headlight&page=2

Have any of you been in this situation? What are my options short of buying another headlight?

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Tikal - did the turn signal ever work on the Depo replacement? Or did it work for awhile, and then stop working? I presume the latter given it's been 3+ years since you did the swap-out, but just wanted to double-check. Depo had two issues with the turn signals.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I picked this up reading some reviews on the Depo replacements. Not the e-Code version, but might still apply for you. The main complaint has been turn signals either working and going out, or never working at all.

If worked at one point, try the connectors:
turns out the turn signal lamp housing (the grey part you twist to remove) had bent contacts, so it appeared the bulb was out. Took me an hour to figure this out though, quite a pain!

And then apparently Depo had a batch where the jumpers/contacts were in the wrong spot and the blinkers never worked.

one of the contacts in the turn signal housing was in the wrong location. I went through the complete installation and then I got a fast blinker when I tried the turn signal. I went through switching bulbs, checking the rear bulbs, checking the bulb socket etc and could not fix the problem. I searched Google and found a Passat forum and a few people had the same exact problem and one of them posted the solution complete with pictures. I had to take the grill bumper etc off the car to fix the problem. This is apparently a known problem and Depo has not fixed the product. It isn't an obvious thing to diagnose and I wasted several hours fixing it. I was fortunate to come across the solution but I'm sure there are many frustrated customers. The first picture is how the unit came to me and the 2nd one is the correct position with both contacts on the bottom.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Tikal - did the turn signal ever work on the Depo replacement? Or did it work for awhile, and then stop working? I presume the latter given it's been 3+ years since you did the swap-out, but just wanted to double-check. Depo had two issues with the turn signals.
The turn signal worked from the beginning (October 2014 time frame) and then it went intermittent this past November. Now is not working at all. The bulb looks good although I am not sure it is locking well into the socket. I have spent enough time on it that I would like to buy a replacement. The one from VW (part # 3B0-953-123-D) is a different size and bulb type. I have sent a message to the vendor and I hope to hear back during their business hours (M-F).

In general these headlights did not turn out good quality. The one on the passenger side has oxidation from the inside so even a professional could not take the haze out :-(

I need to save for some Hella brand (Autozone has them too).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Code:
Here are the pictures:

The outer diameter is approximately 1 7/8 inches. I am still waiting to hear from the vendor on how to buy a replacement :(

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
So I got a replacement socket from the same vendor who I bought the headlights from (kudos to them in this aspect) and I bought a new bulb (PY21W) and re-installed it with no success :))

Question: is there a separate fuse for the left turn signal on the front than the one in the left side rear view mirror or the tail turn signal?