www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old May 6th, 2014, 03:31   #1
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Default Stealth's New Mk6

Hello,

I finally pulled the trigger on a new car, a 2014 Jetta w/Premium, to replace my wife's problematic 2003 Passat GLS (I hated that thing from the first oil change). That car is gone and this one is here. It's Moonrock Silver with Cornsilk interior:

I don't plan to mod this one for a long time and it probably won't be much more than a tune. I do have some things I want to change with VCDS, though. It's time for me to start hanging out in the Mk6 forums.

BTW, I still have the Mk3. It has 443,000 miles and running great. The exterior needs help, though, and I just spotted the beginning of rust on the strut tower (I hope I found it early enough). But it's still my daily driver.

Scott
Stealth TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:17   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: see signature

Nice ride! I hope the missus enjoys it!

Trusted TDI Mechanics Map || TDIClub Chat
VeeDubTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 19:58   #3
TomJD
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 worst - 49 avg - 59 best

These cars are really growing on me.

2000 VW Jetta TDI-3 pedals
TomJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:40   #4
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

That's a sharp looking car. Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2014, 16:43   #5
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Thanks! It's a nice ride, indeed. It makes my Mk3 feel junky. HAHA! The ride is surprisingly controlled, not too firm and not floaty at all. I rather like it. The wife and kid like the Sirius trial. I like the variety, but not the compression. However, I like the SD card slot which allows me to bring my own music when I drive the car instead of the Mk3. In short, the stereo is very good, especially for a factory radio.

Given the beige interior that I expect to get dirty REALLY fast, I was tempted to get the dealer's protection package. But I think my money is better-spent elsewhere. Can anyone recommend alternatives?
Old May 8th, 2014, 19:08   #6
1dieselsteve
Veteran Member

Yes... Drive it on warm sunny days and have everybody take off their shoes before entering the car... Lol. Btw nice ride
2010 TDI Jetta, CR170 turbo, Malone stage III, DSG tranny tune, Diesel dubs 3 inch down pipe and mid pipe, 3 inch axle back dual tips with small resonator, EGR delete race pipe, stage I trans and dog mount.
1dieselsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 21:45   #7
MonsterTDI09
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

A set Monster matts would help.
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:34   #8
Joeym4692
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 09 Jetta

That car looks great!
If I had the money to snag one of them I would!
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:22   #9
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments, everyone! The car came with Monster Mats. I just hadn't installed them for the photos. I'll dust off the factory mats and bag them up for storage. I've taken more photos of the car and put them HERE. I've also done a few things for convenience or peace of mind:

1) Adjusted the headlights. They were aimed too high. I could not find a good DIY that worked for the 2014. So I figured it out myself and will share some photos in the MK6 folder.

2) Ordered some 303 Aerospace to care for the leatherette and some Scotchguard for the carpets. I'll be taking care of that soon!

3) Used VCDS to disable the annoyingly loud horn beep when the alarm is set, disabled "hill start assist" (it was promoting stalls even though the wife and I both are proficient with three pedals), increased the "Euro blinker" setting to five flashes, and activated the window/sunroof convenience feature for the remote control. I promptly imitated the VW commercial where a man had to show the wife his new trick!

4) Copied the fuel additive storage solution I use in my MK3:

The bottles are Lucas Oil. But I have Stanadyne in them. I bought the Lucas just for the bottles because I like the way they fit in that cup holder. The cup holder is velcro'd to the trunk mat for tip-free storage.

I have an appointment to get 3M paint protection film applied to the door sills, trunk ledge, and to the leading edges of the hood, roof, and mirrors. I'll add photos later when the film clears up.

I can't think of much else to do. I actually like the car just the way it is. Some wheels to make it unique would be cool. But it's not a priority. I won't tune it until after the warranty is gone. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy it.

Later,

Scott

Last edited by Stealth TDI; August 22nd, 2014 at 11:29. Reason: Fixed typo...
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:52   #10
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Nice car, Scott. I like that Velcro cup holder idea. Not too hard to convince your wife to get a TDI?

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 18:55   #11
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Not hard at all. She had been fussing about the extra fill-ups required by her 1.8T from about the time our daughter started school in 2005. I think she's pretty tickled by 500+ miles between fuel stops, even with her city driving cycle.

Since I'm here, I'll share some photos from the day I had the 3M bra installed:

Scott

Last edited by Stealth TDI; August 22nd, 2014 at 17:39.
Old May 17th, 2014, 06:35   #12
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Nice car, Scott. Glad to see you got your wife into the TDI family. I love my MKVI Golf: in fact my other TDIs have been sitting a lot lately as I just seem to drive the Golf. "Only" getting about 600 miles a fill is a bit of a come-down, but with my current driving habits that's about two weeks worth of driving. And in mostly suburban driving I'm seeing low 40s for MPGs, about what my wagon gets in similar use.

I love the Moonrock color, and had a clear bra put on my Golf within the first two weeks of ownership. Glad I did. Only negative to the bra I can find is it's a bear to remove bugs.

Keep that MKIII going! My son's '98 has been sitting for the past year with only an occasional drive to keep the battery up, clean off the brakes, and fill one tire that has a slow leak. I would love to restore it, but he has to agree to part with it first. And I already have too many cars!

Enjoy the sedan. A '15 may be in my future.
Old May 18th, 2014, 06:29   #13
geoman
Veteran Member

naive canadian that i am, i thought " wow, that's a funny looking heat gun that installer has strapped to his hip...hey wait a minute..."
wise move on the 3m treatment. we've got it on the tiggy and with the dog hopping in/out of the hatch its saved some scratches from happening. rreally wish i did it on my jsw.
have you thought about a hitch or do you even have a need for it?
geoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 08:03   #14
Stealth TDI
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Peter - The Mk6 is so nice that I find myself considering another. I think about a used Sportwagen; but the new Jetta has more legroom and is just so sharp! I want to keep my Mk3 going. Unfortunately, I recently found rust in the strut towers (accidental find) and I just suffered a catastrophic water pump failure. I was on the highway and had no gauge indications of a problem. I'm not sure how far I drove it that way. I'm working on the water pump and timing belt now. But I've noticed the car was very hard to start when I moved it a few hundred feet to where I'm doing the repairs. I may have done some engine damage. This does not mean I'm abandoning my Mk3 just yet. But I need to 1) assess my rust issue to see if the car is worth saving before taking the car to 2) fix the engine. I just need to install the drive belts, valve cover and air box before it's ready to start. Unfortunately, the on-base hobby shop where the car sits is closed until tomorrow. If the car needs major work, I need something else to drive so I can give the Mk3 a well-deserved break (or retire it). It's had almost NO DOWN TIME in 16 years and 444,000 miles!

Geoman - Funny comments about the heat guns! The 3M treatment paid for itself when a rock hit the hood yesterday. The wife initially didn't like that she could see a "line" at the edge the material. I think she prefers the line over a rock chip any day! We are considering a hitch. I do plenty of <1000-lb towing with my Mk3, plus I use a hitch-mounted carrier for my bicycles. Having a back-up method to move bikes (at the very least) is a good thing, especially now that my Mk3 may come off the road. I have my eyes on Curt's Mk6 hitch receiver.

Scott
Old May 18th, 2014, 10:30   #15
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I feel your pain. I have an oil leak in my wagon, may be as minor as a failing valve cover, but I have to diagnose it. And I just got $2,500 worth of rust repair (tailgate and rockers) approved on the last month of its 12 year warranty. So I'm going to get that work done, figure out what's up with the engine, and then drive on. I made an IKEA run this AM that would have been iffy in the Golf, so it's nice to have a wagon, especially one that's a quick as mine. :-) But I appreciate a newer car that I can rely on, too. JSWs are great: would have bought one instead of the Golf if I didn't already have a wagon.