Swapping TDI from rusted jetta into gas jetta?

larboc

TDI
1998 Jetta
I have a rusted out TDI 1998 jetta with 350k on it that runs/shifts great but the body is falling apart. I see clean low mile MK3 jettas with snapped timing belt gas engines showing up on CL all the time for well under $500. In my mind I should be able to just unbolt and swap the subframe, cooling system, and ECU and be on my way? I'm guessing it isn't that simple, but I'd guess someone has attempted it before. All the tdi cars seem to either be expensive or ragged out.

As long as I stay in the same 97-99 body style, are there any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm tempted to look at VR6's for the bigger brakes but fear that that might overcomplicate things at the front when it comes to using the VR6 5 lug hubs/brakes on the subframe. A vr6 in my rusted out tdi's body would make an awesome bump-n-run car too!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
that and a fuel tank and wire harness, yea, not much more to swap to make it a TDI, plenty of threads where people do this. do a search.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I'm not convinced that any mk 3 north of Tennessee is "clean".... I would look closer at the floor pan. Lol.

Considering you have a full donor car, any pre1999.5 Jetta, golf or even up to a b5 Passat is a straight forward swap. No serious pitfalls to watch out for.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It's not a tough swap but it's more complicated than you think, you will have to swap over wiring, fuel tank and lines, exhaust system (or some parts) etc. You will have to work under the dash some with the electrical stuff.

It's the most straight forward exchange though, the B5 Passat is much more difficult, the electrical system is vastly different and the transmission you want isn't even in the US, it will have to come from Europe somewhere.

Best candidates for your Mk3 in order of ease:

Mk3 (Golf or Jetta)
B3 or B4 Passat
Mk2 (Golf or Jetta) late model with CE2 electrics

Steve

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I had a rusted out Jetta and I figured why fix it when you can get a good southern body for $500. Then I figured why do all that work and end up with just a Jetta. Start reading the in the conversion forum.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I have a rusted out TDI 1998 jetta with 350k on it that runs/shifts great but the body is falling apart. I see clean low mile MK3 jettas with snapped timing belt gas engines showing up on CL all the time for well under $500. In my mind I should be able to just unbolt and swap the subframe, cooling system, and ECU and be on my way? I'm guessing it isn't that simple, but I'd guess someone has attempted it before. All the tdi cars seem to either be expensive or ragged out.

As long as I stay in the same 97-99 body style, are there any pitfalls to watch out for? I'm tempted to look at VR6's for the bigger brakes but fear that that might overcomplicate things at the front when it comes to using the VR6 5 lug hubs/brakes on the subframe. A vr6 in my rusted out tdi's body would make an awesome bump-n-run car too!
Gearing is not the same. Include the tranny in that swap..