www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 11th, 2014, 14:11   #16
Danielg42
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesjasonk View Post
I use these all of the time to get the triple squares out if they are stripped. Pound them on then take the bolt out with a ratchet. Works every time. Even in tight places.
Another vote for the socket style bolt extractors... I've even used them on non stripped triple squares, where I didn't have the right size available or was worried about stripping them.
Danielg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 16:02   #17
QuickTD
Veteran Member

As a long time mechanic, all you other long-time mechanics seriously owe it to yourself to get some bolt-outs. It will be the best money you have ever spent. You know those easily stripped cheese head crank pully bolts? Non-issue with a bolt-out. Rusty exhaust nuts, broken or stripped studs. Grab one of the small ones and twist it on, grips like grim death, never fails and takes no more time than a socket change.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 19:11   #18
johnboy00
Veteran Member

Wow, It's gotten a little testy here. When I did mine, I unscrewed it with my fingers. I agree, if your a mechanic, it might be a good investment to get an extractor set. I am not amechanic and this is not a rusted exhaust bolt; it's very easy to remove with an angle grinder. I'm not sure you could get a drill in it, unless it was a rt angle drill.

In any event, I'm just giving my experience, take it or leave it.
2003 IBW
1999.9 Golf (for parts)
johnboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 15:26   #19
VWWF

As I was tapping on a #10 extractor from the Craftsman set, my stripped out axle to transmission XZN / Triple Square broke loose. I guess the extractor jammed up against the CV housing and as I tapped on it, the counter rotating grippers twisted the Triple Square Bolt CCW. After that I was able to remove the bolt by hand.
VWWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 05:52   #20
Brian's96TDIPASSAT
Veteran Member

I have found stripped out Tri squares on axles more times than I can remember. Every one I got out by simply using a die grinder with a 2/32 or so disc cutting a slot about 1/4 deep, then grabbing my trusty air hammer with a sharp chisel and hammering it counter clock wise. Loosens it right up, then simply use a flat blade screw driver bit and loosen it. From stripped to removed maybe 2 minutes.
Brian's96TDIPASSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 11:15   #21
highmileage
Veteran Member
Default Bolt out

Saw this post reopened and decided to add that I did use the bolt out type extractor. Simple and successful.
highmileage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 16:14   #22
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Lots of different methods seem to work fine for this. Use what you have available that works! I've even been stuck at someone else's place without much for tools and used a good sharp chisel and BFH... Most FWD cars I can get my channel lock 410's in there. Now those are the cat's ass if you have room to get onto any stripped bolt!

Last edited by Uberhare; September 10th, 2018 at 06:51.
Uberhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2018, 19:54   #23
burn_your_money
Veteran Member

I've used most of the methods mentioned in this thread depending on tool availability.

These are nice too if there is room in your wallet.

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...extractor-set/

Old September 10th, 2018, 06:53   #24
Brian's96TDIPASSAT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhare View Post
Lots of different methods seem to work fine for this. Use what you have available that works! I've even been stuck at someone else's place without much for tools and used a good sharp chisel and BFH... Most FWD cars I can get my channel lock 410's in there. Now those are the cat's ass if you have room to get onto any stripped bolt!
LOL, that's pretty much how I described but using air and as my buddy calls it, your primary tool of destruction. My air hammer has gotten us out of so many tough spots, stripped bolts, ball joint replacement, bushing replacement etc. Thinking of buying a spare since mine is like 30yrs old
Brian's96TDIPASSAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 16:24   #25
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Hate those triple square axle bolts. My triple squares head were buggered out after multiple boot replacements. So I replaced them all with M10 - 1.5 x 20 Allen Head 12.9 grade bolts. Sooooo much better now R&Ring them.

Old September 15th, 2018, 16:28   #26
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

I've never had a problem with triple square bolts using a good quality bit, providing no one else has buggered them prior. Too many people don't take the time to clean out the hole, use an impact or worn/cheap tools.
Old September 16th, 2018, 14:44   #27
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

I have no issues with using triple squares on cylinder heads or one use type of deals.

But with multiple R&R’s, Allen type bolts just fit the tool so much more firmly than a triple square that it reduces the chance that the bolt head becomes buggered.

Good point in the use of a quality tool to minimize buggering the bolt head. But, a quality tool cost much more than my 90 cents each 12.9 grade Allen Bolts and Allen socket set from Harbor Freight.