www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old April 20th, 2017, 17:36   #1
kapps

Default How Long to Wait for Fuel Filter

Long story short, I'm approaching 30k since my last fuel filter change. I'll be putting at least another 10-15k on my TDI before I'm able to take the buyback. I do not have a VCDS and am wary of just brimming the filter canister and hoping for the best during restart. I also don't want to pay a VW dealer to do it who will likely not use VCDS either.

Has anybody run these filters over 2x their recommended change interval?
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 19:43   #2
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

If you have the new filter, change it out. You don't need vcds to fill the canister.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 19:53   #3
Trade Wind
Veteran Member

Yup. Digging through all the posts on this subject a while back, I did not find anyone who filled the canister and then had trouble starting the car. There is some debate on whether you need a supply of fuel or can just cycle the key to fill the canister, that may depend on model and year. So next fill up, just fill a small container with diesel (or buy some PowerServe) and you'll be all set.
Trade Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 03:57   #4
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

probably not the best idea to do the first DIY on a car at this stage.

I think you would be fine to ignore the filter.

I have not seen anyone here who has seen issues from a clogged filter, or from waiting too long (on a common rail car which is driven and not stored).

on the other hand, more than a few with stripped screws and leaky intermediate fuel pumps (which could be triggered by moving hoses around)

(but don't tell anyone I said that...)

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:30   #5
Rico567
Veteran Member

The filter in our Passat was changed at 20K by the dealer, as part of the included maintenance. I got the old one back, but apart from being a bit gray, looked fine. I did the 40K service myself, and the filter looked the same as the first one, and there was nothing but clear fuel in the filter housing. Going to be doing the 60K here in a few weeks, and don't expect anything different. I've got VCDS and used it to run the pump when I changed the filter, but I've seen plenty of posts by people who just swap out the filter cartridge, top up the canister with Power Service or fuel, and have no trouble.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:10   #6
edge130
Veteran Member

I think it's a stretch to expect 40k -45k trouble free miles on the fuel filter.
For the $25 or so cost of the filter, why not change it?

I can add I have changed the fuel filter and topped off the canister with diesel before putting the top back on. The engine started up immediately, no issues. Since then I did start using the vcds

There are good diy's on how to change it.

Mine used the "wide mouth" style filter, they sometimes can be stubborn to remove because the seals work well.

Last edited by edge130; April 21st, 2017 at 12:25.
edge130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:19   #7
hughesjasonk
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ?? Drive it like you stole it ??

If you're doing the buy back anyway I would just swap the fuel in the canister so you can get the water out and ride it until you do the buyback

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hughesjasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 13:07   #8
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesjasonk View Post
If you're doing the buy back anyway I would just swap the fuel in the canister so you can get the water out and ride it until you do the buyback

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes, water is what I'd be concerned about too. My filters and canister have always been clean at 20k, but others may get fuel of lower quality. I believe the interval is close to 40k miles in Europe. Presumably because they get better quality fuel.
Old April 21st, 2017, 13:21   #9
meerschm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: twice what my Sprinter gets

I have never seen any water in my fuel filter.

200,000 miles...

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 13:47   #10
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

I haven't found any water in my golf canister either. But I have seen/drained water from many diesel fuel filters. I wouldn't assume everybody is getting the same quality fuel that I am. Super easy job. Easier than an oil change.
Old April 21st, 2017, 16:22   #11
DanB36
Veteran Member

The fuel filter on Dieselgatemobiles is not designed to act as a water separator, the way that the ALH fuel filter is. It might yet collect water in the bottom, but it isn't designed to do so.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG, 1 x 2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
DanB36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 16:37   #12
kapps

Thanks everyone. I changed the filter at 40k miles myself with a friends VCDS but he had since misplaced it. Well out of the blue, he texts me today and says he found it so I no longer have a problem. I'll be able to do it the right way.

BTW, I'm sure the dealer didn't check for water when they changed it at 20k, I didn't check when I changed it at 40k, and I'm not worried about it at 70k. I drive 110 miles a day to and from work so I go through a tank a week.

So for the next guy who's trying to stretch out his fuel filter changes, if you're stopping at decent stations that have throughput on their holding tanks, I wouldn't be concerned about taking the fuel filter out to 30k. I'll post again if the filter looks excessively dirty but I suspect it'll look fine.
kapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 18:01   #13
111R

I had my fuel filter changed as part of the factory included maintenance, but blew off changing it and the transmission service after Dieselgate began. Car had 62,000 miles at buyback.
111R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 13:58   #14
edge130
Veteran Member

My fuel filter canister lid has the "drain screw" on the top.
You connect a MityVac and suction out what's on the bottom of the canister.
I have never seen any water come out in my experience
edge130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 20:21   #15
VWjimmy

TDI(s): 01 Beetle

What about the reverse problem? In the last few months, I had a fuel supply issue--jerky and prone to die at low RPMs, strong once you push on the pedal but throws black smoke. I swapped the fuel filter, filled the new filter up with diesel, and that resolved the problem for about 6 weeks, around ~1,200 miles. Then problem reoccurs. Can a filter clog in 1,200 miles short of some larger system error? Is there something nasty in my tank?
VWjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote