www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old March 8th, 2017, 12:09   #106
smelly621

Temps sound about normal to me - mine runs 196-200F when fully warmed up. Will go up a few degrees if pulling a big grade or taking a spirited rip.

I suspect variations/tolerances in the CTS and thermostat (as well as operating environment, and hose routing) likely "stack up" leading to us all observing a slight range of temperatures.

I stopped worrying about my temps being 5 degrees warmer than others, since they were consistent, I wasn't losing coolant, and they were well below the boiling point of the coolant. Keep an eye on it - but don't assume it's a problem if you're not seeing exactly 195 degrees all the time.
smelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 17:50   #107
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Exenos you are correct on the 04 up. My pump assembly was also a service bulletin for the older trucks that still had the weak and crappy external lift pump and those were Vp44 pump engines. I think I will leave it be for now and when or if it does fail I will drop the tank anyway and I will modify it then. Besides one less thing to do for now.

Had an hour today to try and get the RPM signal to work. I did figure out the "W" wire is not the same W wire found on most diesel trucks as there is no AC frequency being output so I caint use it for signal. I will try to use the crank signal next like I had planed from the get go.
Motohead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2017, 17:55   #108
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smelly621 View Post
Temps sound about normal to me - mine runs 196-200F when fully warmed up. Will go up a few degrees if pulling a big grade or taking a spirited rip.

I suspect variations/tolerances in the CTS and thermostat (as well as operating environment, and hose routing) likely "stack up" leading to us all observing a slight range of temperatures.

I stopped worrying about my temps being 5 degrees warmer than others, since they were consistent, I wasn't losing coolant, and they were well below the boiling point of the coolant. Keep an eye on it - but don't assume it's a problem if you're not seeing exactly 195 degrees all the time.
Your right im not going to worry to much unless Im losing coolant.
Old March 11th, 2017, 17:54   #109
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Tach is fixed! This should apply to any 4.7 with a 16 tooth crank. If you had a 32 tooth (changed around 2003 I believe) it probably wont work with the dakota digital DSL-1e box. You would need there speedometer box to get enough resolution. It might work if it was originally a v6 truck.

I am using a DSL-1E box set to gear tooth with a tooth count of 1 with 8cyl output using pin 27/121 for signal and putting the dodge crank signal in normal slot and the cam signal in out3 (1/2 output). It works every time.
https://youtu.be/OUt7UuD0x3U
Old March 20th, 2017, 18:59   #110
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Well I drove it home tonight and filled up the tank. There still some stuff to get done for sure but its good enough for commuter duty. Ill find out in the morning traffic. The major issue is the speedometer isnt working and ABS and airbag light is on. Its all related I believe as the wheel speed signal from the rear end goes to the ABS module and it spits out the VSS signal for the speedo. Unfortunately I caint find a reset sequence that dosent involve a DRB3. So I might have to pony up $120 and have the dealer clear it. I will load up some better video when I can this is all I got for now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alp140bMl8
Old March 20th, 2017, 19:11   #111
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Ah come on Gramma,hit the skinny peddle......
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2017, 19:25   #112
Motohead1
Veteran Member

haha yea thats 4th gear. definitely going to need to regear it but I can live with it for now as thats next years budget maybe.
Old March 21st, 2017, 17:52   #113
Motohead1
Veteran Member

First commute today was a success. It was in the 40s this morning and almost 80F on the way home my 48 mile round trip to work. Finally found a tbolt clamp small enough for the BV43a outlet so I could actually get on it if need be as it was popping off at 12lbs. There is plenty of torque but it will need a gear change when I can afford it. A minimum 4.10 for sure. 5th gear is only for land speed records. .73 5th on 30.5 inch tire with 3.55s is only 2000rpm at 70mph. So for now I keep it in 4th to keep the EGT happy.

List of things yet to do.

Fix speedo/ABS--Have to swing by the dealer to DRB3 it.

Complete the exhaust.

Finish aero shrouding around intercooler

Brake switch bracket /cruise control

Need an alignment and tires

Cleanup harness loom under hood.

Front pumpkin needs to go back in after gear swap.

There is some tweaking to be done on the tune also I just need to send some logs off

Thats it for now updates when I have them.
Old March 21st, 2017, 18:21   #114
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

Nice looking truck...
I was running 31's with 4:30's and at 25mph it would over rev in 2nd
and lug in 3rd,so I just got done re-gearing to 4:10's and I can stay
in 2nd now.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 17:43   #115
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Ive been driving it all week and have just about 350 miles on the first tank and its just bellow the half tank mark. Speedo is still not working so numbers are approximate. So far its a blast to drive at 27psi it will move and the low end torque is great. Tune needs to be tweaked at the part throttle a little bit. A gear change will help also. I bit the bullet and ordered 4.11s I hopefully can get that done in the next few weeks so I can fix the speedo.

I missed getting to the scrap yard by just a few minutes today. Wont get much for the 4.7 but the cats are worth somthing.
Old March 30th, 2017, 18:11   #116
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Finally got off work in time to make it to the scrap yard before they closed. It was close to 600lbs I would say 540 of it was the v8. When I pulled back onto the scale with a half tank of diesel and no front diff it was just over 4200lbs So when the front diff goes back in it will probably be right at 4350. Not bad Id say it lost close to 100lbs as last year I had it on the same scale dumping the blown rear axle and it was 4440 with the v8.
Old March 30th, 2017, 20:42   #117
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

nice swap and good looking truck ... ALH weighs around 375 dressed out iirc ... so you prob lost more than you think
Old April 2nd, 2017, 18:04   #118
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
nice swap and good looking truck ... ALH weighs around 375 dressed out iirc ... so you prob lost more than you think

It definitely feels like it lost more than 100lbs but it also moved the bulk of the weight further back in the engine bay compared to the V8.

Did my first fill up yesterday.

I filled it a quarter tank just to check my modified float arm to make sure its accurate.

Since I have no speedo yet I am estimating I drove right at 500 miles and filled it 19.1 gallons. So at 26mpg I am really happy as this tank had multiple WOT pulls for logging and quite a bit of idling. Once I get my part throttle fueling issue fixed it can only go up. Tuner should have that modified and back to me soon I would think.
Old April 18th, 2017, 20:24   #119
Motohead1
Veteran Member

Not to much to report other than it hauls no problem as that seems to be the question I have been getting the most lately. I have been moving some pavers for a project at the house at about 1000lbs at a time. 3 loads so far probably have 1 more to go. The ALH chugs right along.

Also got a vented cap.

Malone got the tune tweaked and I loaded that up and it has fixed my part throttle "boost drag". Interested to see the MPGs on this tank as its looking better already.
Old April 20th, 2017, 19:17   #120
Motohead1
Veteran Member

I finished up the exhaust . Its 2.5 inch all the way with 3 vbands and one butt joint for the tip. I couldn't weld the tip as it would have been near impossible to remove when needed.

I also filled tank #2 today with roughly 550 miles at 21.5 gallons. Not bad considering 75miles of that was hauling 1000 pounds in the bed.