www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Golf TDI Picture Gallery

Golf TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Golf TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old February 19th, 2017, 18:43   #31
algirdas
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 98 jetta AHU

All the right mods! That'll be a fun ride
Old February 19th, 2017, 23:00   #32
bbarbulo
Veteran Member

i spy a shiny new short shifter too?
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:13   #33
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarbulo View Post
i spy a shiny new short shifter too?
Yes, I mentioned it in post#16. It's a short throw part from a Golf R.

bobbiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 19:05   #34
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

It's been a while but I'm still working on the Golf.

I installed new Cupra R rear bushings (6LL 501 541) it was easier to remove the rear axle. Not an easy or fun job! It's back in place with new brake pads & rotors to match the front. Also got Shine Racing Real Street Springs and Bilstein TC shocks.

Installed a PD Lift Pump

and a 2.5” stainless steel downpipe & tailpipe

Still sorting out the PD150 vent pipe, I think I have a solution. It actually runs now, in fact I drove it around the block last week.

One thing I did was to have a flexible line installed on the power steering hose. They cut the steel line and welded on AN fittings. Then made a hose with AN hose ends to connect the metal pipes. Makes running the PS hose around the 6 speed a lot easier. The clamp is on a 1.5” tall standoff bolted to the transmission mount. I like it a lot better than trying to bend a 5 speed hose to fit.

And here it is off the jack stands! The wheels are powder coated Force with 205/55 16 Yokohama S Drive tires. Haven't installed the wheel centers yet or even cleaned them up from mounting them. Started on the interior, the headliner is out at the upholstery shop.

Last edited by bobbiemartin; July 20th, 2017 at 08:03.
Old April 25th, 2017, 12:39   #35
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Another busy weekend, but not much to show. I got all the black interior parts from a parts car. Stripped out the interior of the Golf. It's probably good to good clean every 15 years or so!

Interior all out. After this pic was taken, I put the black carpet in along with a few interior bits.

Installed a vented fender liner from a Jetta City.

Got a few little things to do, then it's off to another body shop to fix the paint on the top while the headliner is out. The first body shop couldn't seem to get it right after taking a month. Unfortunately State Farm is refusing to pay for redoing the paint, even though they are supposed to have a "lifetime" guarantee. Oh well. I've also ordered a new front bumper. The original one is cracked so I'll have that painted as well.

Last edited by bobbiemartin; July 20th, 2017 at 08:10.
Old July 25th, 2017, 08:58   #36
artdeco42

Any more updates? How are you liking the 6-speed?
artdeco42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 14:18   #37
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdeco42 View Post
Any more updates? How are you liking the 6-speed?
It's been busy but I have made more progress. I'll try and post more soon. We sold both MK4 wagons and bought a 2015 GSW - not in that order though! Which means I'm driving the Golf now as my daily driver as I finish it up. The mechanical stuff is about done, along with the paint but the interior has a ways to go.

As to the 6 speed, yes I do like it. I had a 6 speed in one of the wagons I just sold, so I've been driving a 6 speed for a while now. I really like it, having the extra gear is very nice. After having both a 5 and 6 speed, I can say I would be very reluctant to go back to a 5 speed. The PD150 DMF clutch is very smooth and easy to drive. With the Peloquin LSD you can get on the power sooner out of a turn. It takes a bit different technique and I really haven't got it 100%, but there is certainly a difference to the open diff. I set the front camber at stock Golf settings. Once I get everything done, I'm going to dial in some more front camber, I think that will help. Then I'll see if I need a rear sway bar. However, it has pretty good grip now.

All in all, I'm happy with the mods. It has good power (never enough, but it's OK for now), handles and drives well. It's a little louder than I would like and has a drone at speed. Once the interior is done I'm sure it will quiet down, if not enough I'll sort that out as well.

Old July 27th, 2017, 06:54   #38
artdeco42

Thanks for the update, I'm glad it's still going good on the upgrade. That GSW sound like a lot of fun too!

I'm going to be starting on updating my 2003 golf tdi this fall. I have the 6-speed and the conversion kit ready to go, but I want to do the shift fork fix before I put it in the car. I have to buy a bunch of tools too, I only have the basics at this point.
Old July 30th, 2017, 18:00   #39
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

I discovered my aluminum upper intercooler pipe was hitting the power steering pulley. It has good clearance, so I guess the engine is moving a bit.

I've installed a Nicktane filter in place of the stock fuel filter.

It didn't go all the way through - but it's close! I'll probably have it tig welded up and should be OK.
I've ordered a set of Vibra Technics dogbone bushings. Hopefully they will reduce the engine rocking but won't transmit too much vibration. I guess I'll find out!

I installed the stock pipe from the IC to the intake. This pipe fits better and really I don't think it's all that restrictive.
I'll see how it does, but if I don't notice much difference, I just may keep it. I like the stock appearing engine compartment as well.
I'm not 100% decided on the crankcase vent hose. The way I have it now works, but I'll probably do something else later. I'm still considering a Mann Pro Vent at some point.

Old July 31st, 2017, 08:58   #40
artdeco42

Wow, I didn't realize the engine could move enough to hit that pipe. Good to know though, one more thing to check on. The upgrade is looking good !
Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:25   #41
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Lots of nice work; looking good!

rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2017, 16:56   #42
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

I've got another project that will take the next few weekends, but I managed to get a new windshield and a rain sensing mirror installed. It works great.

The mirror is auto dimming and has the red "ambiance" LEDs that shine down.

And while the headliner is out, I resealed all the sunroof drains. I had a small drip from the left front one, but no more. We have had some good storms, but all is dry inside!

Old August 6th, 2017, 07:10   #43
GIDDY_UP_GO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39mpg (But I drive 80mph alot!)

Where did you find the vented inner fender liner and how much was it? Thanks!

Awesome work by the way!
2015 Golf SportWagen 400 mi
THIS WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
GIDDY_UP_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2017, 07:18   #44
NarfBLAST
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.8 - 4.5 (40 - 52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIDDY_UP_GO View Post
Where did you find the vented inner fender liner and how much was it? Thanks!
OEM part number is 1JM809962A which you can find at your local dealer or many places online such as here: http://www.idparts.com/vented-fender...a4-p-1063.html
The NARFmobile blog / push button ignition / thrustmaster shifter / http://narfblast.com
NarfBLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2017, 18:57   #45
bobbiemartin
Veteran Member

Default Vibra Technics Dogbone insert

I installed a Vibra Technics dog bone bush and insert. They are nicely made pieces. I went with the Vibra Technics because I prefer rubber to polyurethane for mounts. You reuse the aluminum mount, replacing only the original rubber ends. It is adjustable, but I can tell you the firm is just that. It transmits a lot of vibration to the car. The "comfort" is much better. Still a little vibration at idle, but not too bad. It does seem to help with the engine rocking, the car feels firmer when accelerating to getting off the power. I would say it is a worthwhile upgrade.

The stock mount is on the left. The middle is the small end bush. On the right is the finished mount, ready for installation. The black support brace mounts to a machined step on the small bush. You can see the step in the center picture.