Considering a TDI, again...should I?

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
I have been out of the TDI arena for 7 year. Prior to that I’ve owned 5 TDIs and had somewhat good luck in terms of reliability and performance. Some were trouble free, some needed work all the time.
Recently I spotted a “great” selection of the 2011-2014 TDIs at a local Ford dealership (15 cars or so). Found a similar selection at a nearby VW dealer as well.
It appears these were all “fixed” cars, emissions wise (run the VIN on the VW website). In particular, looking at a 2014 w 6MT.
Questions/suggestions:
1. just a few years back, there were hardly any used TDIs on dealers’ lots; how come now there re 30+ decent looking cars 20 miles apart? Is there a lack of demand or are these “fixed” cars not sought after anymore? Especially in the MT configuration....
2. what’s the availability of parts for these cars? I have a local TDI guru who can fix just about anything; I’m more so concerned about the VW’s commitment to the diesel related parts
3. can these “fixed” cars be resold?
4. Did the emissions fix ruin some of the MPG and performance advantages compared to the original configuration?
5. Does the emission upgrade require more service, repairs, issues.
Thank you for any frank input and suggestions...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
VW bought back about 275,000 TDIs in the past couple years. They have the court's approval to fix and re-sell the cars. They have an auction site (for dealers) to bid on and purchase cars for re-sale. All the cars have an extended emissions warranty for either 11 years or 162K miles from the original in service date, or 4 years and 48,000 miles for post-fix purchase, whichever is greater. In addition, VW is offering CPO bumper to bumper 2 year warranties on some vehicles, depending on age and mileage. Long story short, that's why you're seeing a lot of them on lots. And they're selling pretty well.

Some people complain about poorer power delivery post-fix, but many don't. And FE seems largely unchanged. Service schedule is the same, except the car will go back to the dealer for a preventative replacement of some emissions gear, depending on mileage, to ensure it reaches the 162K mark and is still emissions compliant (per court order). Yes, you can re-sell the car, and the emissions warranty is transferable. Parts availability is excellent (I should know).

My own opinion is that now through the summer is your best chance to get one of these cars. I'd look for one that was turned in fairly recently (deadline was January of this year) so you know it wasn't sitting somewhere for a long time. And I'd also look for a lower mileage car, primarily because owners who knew they were turning the cars in were skipping maintenance. With a lower mileage car that's less of an issue.

Don't know what guru you're near (Marty, Kirk) but they may have advice, too.

euromade

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the gasser world
Thanks for your input. Performance wise, I was happy with my 98 Bug w/ the Rocket chip base tune. I’m sure these newer engines have more pep and must be quieter as well...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yes to both. '09-14 cars have 140 HP and 235 torque stock, compared to about 110/200 for a RC tuned NB. '15s have 150 HP and same torque. They don't have quite the torque at start up that the earlier cars have, but you'd only notice it if you drive old and new back to back.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I thought only the '15's got the 11yr/162k warranty? Or was that only for the DEF equipped vehicles?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I thought it was all of the dieselgate cars. Of course for some because of age or mileage are better off with the 4/48 warranty.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I have been out of the TDI arena for 7 year. Prior to that I’ve owned 5 TDIs and had somewhat good luck in terms of reliability and performance. Some were trouble free, some needed work all the time.
Recently I spotted a “great” selection of the 2011-2014 TDIs at a local Ford dealership (15 cars or so). Found a similar selection at a nearby VW dealer as well.
It appears these were all “fixed” cars, emissions wise (run the VIN on the VW website). In particular, looking at a 2014 w 6MT.
Questions/suggestions:
1. just a few years back, there were hardly any used TDIs on dealers’ lots; how come now there re 30+ decent looking cars 20 miles apart? Is there a lack of demand or are these “fixed” cars not sought after anymore? Especially in the MT configuration....
2. what’s the availability of parts for these cars? I have a local TDI guru who can fix just about anything; I’m more so concerned about the VW’s commitment to the diesel related parts
3. can these “fixed” cars be resold?
4. Did the emissions fix ruin some of the MPG and performance advantages compared to the original configuration?
5. Does the emission upgrade require more service, repairs, issues.
Thank you for any frank input and suggestions...
Where are you located in MI?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Then you are familiar with Kirk? He is 2 miles east of 131 just north of m57. Works on tons of these, good honest and fair man. May know of something for sale or at least have some useful advice

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Kirk is one of the best, but truth is he's a big fan of MKIV TDIs. Here's a pic of his 2017 GTG:

A lot of those are customer cars. I hadn't seen that many MKIVs in one place in years.
He does work on the newer cars, too.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That was a good turnout that year