DPF Issues after EGT Failure

Christopera

TDI
Looking...
Okay, so I’ve been member for more than 10 years but have only posted like 3 times. Suffice it to say I’ve owned lots of VWs but I just got my current TDI Sportwagen ‘13 two months ago. Last weekend I sent my wife out of town in it. Glow coil light turns on. She makes it to her destination. On the way back CEL is on, shortly there after it goes into limp home mode. I meet her about an hour from home. I had managed to talk her through scanning the codes. I overnighted an EGT and machined a 17mm socket on my mill to do the EGT swap. It took me an hour, I realized I got the wrong EGT, but I’m getting temps that are in the right ball park so aside from the prong on the brown plug it seems the brown EGT works in place of the black one. The lead length appears to be the major difference. So, I plug the VCDS in, clear the code, and hit the road.

It’s still in limp home mode. I googled, ended up here, read about 20 threads on DPF regen. It’s at 57.9 (i forget the units). I say **** it, if the car burns my deductible is only $250. I try to run the driving regen but it doesn’t do anything. I tried multiple times. DPF load increases to 58.5. The car is now parked.

It’s my impression that the regeneration won’t run when on limp home mode, but I can’t get it off of limp home without getting the DPF load under 45 it seems. Should I reset the DPF as new in VCDS and then try regen from there?

But the big question for members, since home remedies seem to be failing, do I take it to the dealer and hope for a warranty repair or am I boned?

Thanks to all that reply, I certainly appreciate any advice.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
So it sounds like you need a new DPF then. It should still be under the emissions warranty for post fix cars, assuming the fix has been applied. I would not recommend a forced regen as that will just tax the turbocharger even more than it normally would, and they are already somewhat weak to begin with.

Christopera

TDI
Looking...
I guess I’ll call the dealer then, and yes it’s a buy back car. It’s just a shame I can’t get it off limp home mode.

Back to the Saab for a week or two I guess.

Christopera

TDI
Looking...
Just to follow up here, as previously mentioned, this was covered under warranty.

The VW tech called me twice to tell me that I wasn't taking it on long enough trips. I had replaced the EGT with a OEM Egt before taking it in and cleared the codes via VCGS, so I'm sure they were confused as to why the DPF was full. I drove it regularly on 400 + mile journeys for work, so clearly their theory was wrong. It took them four business days to make the call on the warranty and start the process, but now that it's approved they believe they will have the car repaired in another three days. Not sure what to make of this, but I will be happy get my VW back when it's done. That it's under warranty is a major thumbs up, seeing first hand what a lot of Chrystler/Dodge Diesel owners go through with DPF equipment I can not complain.