TDI wagon CEL p2102 emissions workshop

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
2005 passat tdi wagon
After a few hundred miles of buying car and driving I get emissions workshop.

Figure nothing special I do on all my VW's lol
anyhow
I scanned one as code p2102; would the flap or malfuntion of the flap throw a code for emissions?

I have an additional code but it's for the TCM the P0603. Seller installed new TQ and trans was rebuilt. Said CEL came on because the battery was dead and had to be charged etc. Battery looks good, starts strong every time even in 15 degrees F. I read something about TCM needing some coding after new install, maybe was not done? Trans shifts properly seems to be no indication of fault mechanically or otherwise currently.

I reset codes came back immediately.
TIA

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I believe you will need a new TCM to fix the P0603 code. Check under the carpet for water ingress into the box and module itself.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Insufferable f$$kwit…

I would agree with Uberhare, transmission code is likely water intrusion, but there may still be time to save it. Check under the passengers carpet for water and repair the B+ feed to the TCM.

The intake flap is usually just bad when it sets a code. Stripped gears internally. Replace it and drive on.

your funny! I can do it too f##kj#rk but I have more class and tell the truth, no high hopes. So he comes across a wagen with a new TC and a rebuilt transmission and he's getting TCM codes, because, according to the previses owner the battery was dead so you believe the TCM is the problem? funny! I see it like Mr. Transmission rebuilt the tranny and the car hasn't run right since then put up for sale. Save this guy all the money and aggravation he is about to spend on a $4000 car? Crush it, and move on, life is short.

Last edited:

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
Sounds to me the tcm was the problem in the first place
Name calling and bad comments wont do much to help a fellow solve problems !

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Crush it lmao just got a loan for this one. Seems to run perfectly fine. Jumping to conclusions on the negative train.

ejoskf

TDI
1.9 tdi passat 2004
Check your vacuum houses especially one for EGR valve.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

ejoskf

TDI
1.9 tdi passat 2004
And remove and clean EGR when you are there remove and clean inlet manifold use new gasket. Manifold won't have anything to do with your problem but when egr is out do everything it will run better

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
His is correct in his assuming that any shop outside a ZF service facility (very few of those) probably cannot properly rebuild these transmissions. They dont seem to last long when rebuilt at the local transmission shop.

It seems the only reliable long term options are spending almost 4k on a new tranny/tc from vw

Or spend 2500 to 3500 on a 5 speed conversion.

A few board members have these sush boxes running well even after the 200k mark but had the transmission flushed at regular intervals since new.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Crush it lmao just got a loan for this one. Seems to run perfectly fine. Jumping to conclusions on the negative train.

Loan, ouch. OK we will fix it for you. Getting the TCM out is easy just man handle the carpet by the passenger door jam, you don't have to remove anything. If its been under water, disconnect it, take the module apart, if the board doesn't look too bad soak it in denatured alcohol, scrub with toothbrush. If your happy with the results spray with WD40 and let sit overnight. Now you must tackle the connector, some of the wires will be corroded off, when I find this to be a problem I just bypass the connector and solder directly to the board, just depends on how many wires have been affected. You may get lucky and it will work, if not you should be able to find one on this site, I always carry 3 TCM's And 3 ECU's

If the TCM is dry, then you may want to follow my fellow funny member's advice and look for an open wire in the TCM's harness. A voltmeter and light bulb is great for this procedure. Mr Quick has access to what ever schematics you need. Good luck keep us informed.

Last edited:

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
If you actually had knowledge of these cars, you may realize that the TCM code is for a loss of "keep awake" memory power. Probably a corroded splice in the harness just outside the TCM box. A half hour fix. No reason to crush a car.
finally someone with a little more logic and reason such as some of the things I've came up with when searching.
Thanks for the info
Also contacted the seller he had the car detail just the other day so they shampooed the carpet

Last edited:

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Pulled the carpet it was a little bit moist under there there's no standing water down there in that little Bay. I see how maybe the carpet cleaners could have gotten overzealous and gotten detergent under there. Maybe. Does the sunroof vent drain down in that section also? seems like it's supposed to come out in the door jamb or under the car but if that is disconnected will it go in that area? Going to inspect. Tia
how do I remove the scuff plate without breaking it I already have broke it trying to remove the carpet do I need to remove where it goes into the seat belt first I've already cracked it trying to remove it to pull up the carpet to dry all of it. Damnit HeMan
Found under battery tray was clogged with debris so cleaned it with the wet vac. Where does that water go when it's clogged?
Checked and replaced fuse with another same type. Thanks quick TD

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Not only can sun roof drains allow water in but so can inner door seals and the seals around your cabin filter and ecu box under the hood.

After resealing everything my passenger rear door seal decided to leak like crazy with no warning. Adjusting door jam tighter did nothing.

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Thanks pickle Rick watched videos of those other areas.
Thanks ejos will check egr components too.
I'm going to guess that the carpet cleaners have no idea there are expensive components and wires below there it was wet but not overly wet like there was a leak whatsoever. I've been down there with a hair blow dryer drying all the components carpet, mat , wires, box etc. So far that code went away on its own. I pray that's all it was. Went through the car wash to check. Still staying dry.
Now to work on the flap issue.

Last edited:

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
Still have code for the internal kam keep awake memory. Double checked is still dry on floor.

What could this affect operation wise? I don't see it affecting performance currently.

I ordered the flap valve part used from my friends shop. I took old one out and the PO removed the flap from the unit allowing air to freely go past anytime.

So maybe I should have left the old one there without a flap, no flap, no flap to malfunction. lol

Holy EGR clog! also probably looked just as bad as yours did last week. Took that off cleaned it and installed new what looks like throttle body. anti shudder valve?

MPG increased on this commute yet again. so interesting.

Did not get emissions workshop this drive.

Also regarding trans rebuild I trust the guy. He had another mk4 jetta tdi. Said used upgraded hub, forget at the moment the part were referencing (Torq Conv hub?)

Last edited:

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
You may get lucky and it will work, if not you should be able to find one on this site, I always carry 3 TCM's And 3 ECU's

If the TCM is dry, then you may want to follow my fellow funny member's advice and look for an open wire in the TCM's harness. A voltmeter and light bulb is great for this procedure. Mr Quick has access to what ever schematics you need. Good luck keep us informed.

thanks afar! Why do you have so Many TCMs and ECUS LOL sounds like a should get a couple on standby hahahah

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I have two 05's getting ready to buy a 2nd wagon, they are spread around the family. My attic is full of spares. You can never have enough electronics, how much for your unused TCM.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
I can fix mine!

Any Newbie who has a limit knowledge of how to turn a wrench needs to stay away from these cars, unless they are rich.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
Still have code for the internal kam keep awake memory. Double checked is still dry on floor.

What could this affect operation wise? I don't see it affecting performance currently.

I ordered the flap valve part used from my friends shop. I took old one out and the PO removed the flap from the unit allowing air to freely go past anytime.

So maybe I should have left the old one there without a flap, no flap, no flap to malfunction. lol

Holy EGR clog! also probably looked just as bad as yours did last week. Took that off cleaned it and installed new what looks like throttle body. anti shudder valve?

MPG increased on this commute yet again. so interesting.

Did not get emissions workshop this drive.

Also regarding trans rebuild I trust the guy. He had another mk4 jetta tdi. Said used upgraded hub, forget at the moment the part were referencing (Torq Conv hub?)[/QUOTE
\

if you don't figure out why the module is not going to sleep your battery will die, you need to figure out if the TCM is bad or another module keeps talking to it,keeping it up?

Jetdavdub

TDI
Passat wagon TDI
I don't see any splices in the wire. all looks normal looks like it was from the factory doesn't look like it's been underwater.

But I did have the pressure tube come off the turbo today that was pretty fun. I went to accelerate a little faster than usual getting on the highway and the hose broke at the metal tube going to the tube that goes across to the intercooler. Wow those are expensive from the dealer luckily I found one aftermarket for about $25.00 That's better than compared to 250 or $300.

Question about down shifting. do all of your guys automatic transmissions always shift back into fourth at 40 mph?

How much max boost do these cars make with a stock tune? 18-22 psi ?

Last edited: