Fuel filter w/o vag com

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Not to hijack a thread, but I recently replaced my FF in my '13 golf tdi and used vcds to prime the fuel system (30 seconds 3 times and made sure it wasn't gurgling anymore) and upon startup, it ran maybe a second and shut off. Checked and started back up and was running fine since. What are the chances that damaged my pump? I cannot find any definitive evidence on forums of this particular issue (starting and it stalling immediately after priming the system). Just trying to get some insight from some of the gurus on here

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
At 45k miles, new car to me, going to change the fuel filter.

Looking up the part numbers on RockAuto, I get this:
WIX 33037 To Chassis # 1K6834878
WIX 33832 From Chassis # 1K6834879

ANd can't find a chassis number, in the VIN or on the sticker in the wheelwell. Must have been a mid year change for 2013?

pcoplin

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Finally found info on it. From Kerma:

TO DETERMINE IF YOU HAVE 1 or 2-Hole Fuel filter, the easiest method is to look at the fuel filter housing located right ahead of the washer fill. If the part number on the housing ends in 400F you have the Early 2-hole filter. If the part number ends in 400K you have the Late 1-hole filter.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Winter diesel has been put on the shelf for another year! Mileage is up this last tank.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Changed in a fresh FF today. Wrapped a t-shirt around the canister then took out the old filter and cleaned the fuel chamber. Dropped the new filter in loose on the bottom, filled with fresh fuel until it reach the line 1/2' down from the absolute top of the canister. Wet the new o-ring and slid it on, then hand tightened the T30 screws down in the same fashion as one would do with the wheel bolts until I was absolutely sure it was tight. Got into the driver's seat turned the key waited for the glow plugs to go out and it turned over perfectly. Didn't miss a single beat. I have VCDS, but figured with the method I used to fill. and seeing some fuel weep out when I made my last pass tightening gave me confidence to not use it.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Changed in a fresh FF today. Wrapped a t-shirt around the canister then took out the old filter and cleaned the fuel chamber. Dropped the new filter in loose on the bottom, filled with fresh fuel until it reach the line 1/2' down from the absolute top of the canister. Wet the new o-ring and slid it on, then hand tightened the T30 screws down in the same fashion as one would do with the wheel bolts until I was absolutely sure it was tight. Got into the driver's seat turned the key waited for the glow plugs to go out and it turned over perfectly. Didn't miss a single beat. I have VCDS, but figured with the method I used to fill. and seeing some fuel weep out when I made my last pass tightening gave me confidence to not use it.
Did fuel go out the rim of the canister or the bleed screw on top of the lid?

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
No bleed screw that I could see. I poured the fuel in very slowly and made sure to let the fuel in the canister rest for bubble to rise. Then slow and surely pressed the lid back into place and slowly hand threaded the torx screws in. the fuel weeped out of the rim where the two connect as I would complete tightening in a pattern. I should mention it's the type 3 FF, with the small one hole in the top and a solid bottom.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Just did mine today, topped up canister with powerservice before I sealed it up. Very slight spillage as I reinstalled the lid assembly as it displaced fuel out of the canister. I didn't do anything else to prime. Started right up without issue. Good for another 20k!

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Changed the fuel filter. The fuel in the canister looked so bad I removed all the fuel and cleaned it. Didn't have any fue to fill so I put it back together primed via vcds 15 cycles. Fired it up ran for a minute and died.

I am assuming the canaster wasn't full and now have air in the line. Any suggesntions?

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I am assuming the canaster wasn't full and now have air in the line. Any suggesntions?

Auto - Keep cranking until it catches.

Man - Roll it down hill and slip the clutch like you're going to bomb start until it catches.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I cracked the injectors and got the air out. Love the simplicity of diesels.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Ive done this a few times w/o the bag with no issues. Foot to know there solutions if I do catch some air!