Is it supposed to do this, and can it be changed?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
2012 JSW 6MT
2 issues I’m wondering about:

1. In the top right of the display there’s a little box that indicates that the computer would like me to shift. Basically if I’m any higher than 1400rpm it wants me to shift up. Anything below ~1000rpm it wants me to shift up.

It’s annoying that the computer wants me to lug the engine at all times.
Can I turn this off through the menu or through VCDS?

2. Braking assist on an incline?
If I’m stopped on an incline - nose up or down - and I let off the brake to begin driving forward or backward, the car will keep the brake applied until it thinks I can safely drive myself.
I almost drove off the end of ramps the first time I pulled onto them because I stopped halfway up, and the car didn’t let me ease up the ramps - it held the brake on until it decided it could drive forward at 5mph and then released all at once, launching the car forward.

I’ve driven manuals since I was 15, and I’ve never had a car do this. I hate it.
Can this be changed through the menu or through VCDS?

I understand it’s trying to help but it’s more of a hazard than a help, especially when I’m trying to crawl in & out of tight spaces.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
You'll start to ignore the shift indicator.

I've only ever driven manuals and I love the passive hill assist, especially this winter.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I don't know about the light because my car has a DSG. If it were me, I would probably ignore the light and determine my own shift points based on the terrain. Maybe the light is geared toward fuel economy?

I can relate to the brake assist issue you mentioned, and I happen to like hill-hold on with the DSG. I spit my ramps right out from under the tires trying to creep up like you mentioned. Creeping up the ramps is not the best method. I've since switched to a quickjack and don't even know what became of the ramps.

Anyone used to driving a manual and using the handbrake can easily do without that feature, but I can see how hill-hold might useful to a less experienced driver.

I believe hill-hold can be disabled with VCDS. I haven't done it, but searching how to disable hill-hold on MKVI VW should get you the answer you're looking for.

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies. “Hill-hold”...that term makes sense. It doesn’t bother me at a light or stop sign. I notice it, but it can be helpful there, so it makes sense to call it that. Inching forward in a driveway way or some other such parking lot however - not so much.
Also when I let off the brake and expect to roll out of my driveway without bothering with reverse...and nothing happens.

The indicator light is more of an annoyance than anything else. I’m gonna shift when I want. But I change or turn off the radio when something annoys me - it would be nice to be able to switch this off too.

Thanks again!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It would be nice if the shift indicator light could be coded such that there are no arrows and it would only indicate the gear the car is currently in. It basically does that already when you remove your foot from the accelerator.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe you could just remove the shift light from the cluster. What a completely stupid feature.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Maybe you could just remove the shift light from the cluster. What a completely stupid feature.

I actually know of more than one person that just put a little piece of black electrical tape over that stupid shift light. If you can't turn it off, hide it.

Have Fun!

Don

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
vcds for the hill hold delete, iirc its in the abs module, pretty sure its listed under the wiki

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
I got busy and distracted - actually got around to it yesterday and made the change with VCDS. Haven’t driven it yet, so don’t know if it actually worked.
I might actually put that piece of tape on it. But then, the car seems so brand new, I might wait until the 2yr CPO warranty is up before I do that. Maybe.