HVAC - Fresh air flap actuator vs recirc actuator

mikeyb10461

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Sold-2001 Jetta
Hello all,

I recently bought a 2013 Passat Highline TDI(Ontario) and noticed that the front windsheild kept fogging up. After some investigation,it looks like I have a great amount of air coming out of the vents on recirc,but not with recirc off.

I was changing the wiper linkage and saw that the fresh air vent was closed. I manually opened it from outside the car and the results were awesome inside the car. Looks like I found the problem.

My question is in regards to the fix.

I see a lot of write ups on changing the recirc actuator but was wondering if thr Passat has 1 actuator specifically for the fresh air flap and a different one for the recirc flap.

I have found some pics online that make it seem like there are 2 but they do not show in the VW parts catalogue.

Any clarification would be helpful.
Thanks,
Mike

mikeyb10461

TDI
All,
Fyi that I have answered my own question!

The recirc actuator moves both the recirc flap and the fresh air flap using a really interesting mechanism.

The fresh air vent arm had popped out of the mechanism . I put it all back together properly and it now works!

I will update fogging condition after I drive the car for a bit.

I should have taken pics! I apologize.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have pics:

There are three of these garbage Chinese actuators in the NMS' HVAC, dual zone cars have a fourth.

The recirc one is the only one you can get to without major surgery, just remove the glove box. But there is one that is buried in the middle upper that requires the dash be removed for access. And even then, it is STILL a pain due to the placement of the screws against the metal brace. The other is down near the pedals, and can be gotten to (barely) without dash removal.

Last edited:

mikeyb10461

TDI
Thanks for the info. All is fixed up,just happy it was the recirc actuator.

Last edited: