Cooling fan does not stop

SamsungTech

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
Hi, with the hood opened and looking at the engine, the right side cooling fan never turns off anymore. This causes my battery to be completely drained after several hours and then the car won't start. If I try and boost the car, as soon as I plug the jumper cables, the fan starts back up again.

Does anyone know which fuse or connector I can unplug to stop the fan so I can recharge the battery and drive the car to the shop who does my repairs.

2010 Golf wagon with manual transmission.

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
No, because your car doesn't have one. The fan control module is integral with the left (driver's side) cooling fan.

The main fuse for the cooling fans is one of the links in the front of the underhood fuse box, I *think* it is #3, requires a 10 or 8mm socket to remove that circuit. I think it is a 50A one.

Your car may look slightly different as the one pictured, because some of the later cars got one big assembly that contains all the fuses, big black bar. But you can still remove the loaded circuit from the bottom.

Last edited:

Ocosteen

TDI
2014 sportwagon
I was just driving it around town including stop lights and it was stay right at 190. I def put the fuse back on if it goes above.