www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old Yesterday, 18:26   #256
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
I sent in a request through www.energysage.com for multiple estimates. The one installer with the most/best reviews is NRG. I will let you know what comes of that. I asked to zero my electric bill and have capacity for EV charging as well. TXU is my electric company and my current bill shows usage from a low of 500 to 600 kwh to a high of 1800 kwh. Probably 1000 kwh monthly average over the year. Cost is .145 per kwh.
Cool. Don't pay >$3/w. Lotta crooks out there. My neighbor paid $5.50/w ~2 years ago before I knew them. Feel super bad... they got ripped off. My last project was $2.47/w but that's mostly because it was 22.77kW.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:15   #257
Smashed Ixnay
Veteran Member

I just had a 15.84 kW system installed with 2 Powerwalls via Tesla about a week ago. I think I paid about $2.56 per watt, and $1.79 after 30% tax credit. I'm in central FL. I would love to get an electric car, but I'm still waiting for something that doesn't look horrible, but gets good range.

I want a Tesla Model S, but they are way out of my range. The only other I'd consider would be a Nissan Leaf, but I'm not a fan of the looks. I'll wait a few more years at earliest before I consider one. Hopefully the charging stations will be more ready available then.

Solar can save you money, if you only get solar. You just gotta shop around. Had one company try to sell me an 11.6kW system for $42,500. That only offset me about 44%, so I'd still have a huge electric bill on top of that. Solar would have been $184, and my electric would have run probably another $200+-. I'm all for saving the environment, but I don't have money to throw away. That'd of been an extra $100 on top of my monthly average. I could have saved another $2k on just solar panels, but Tesla was pretty competitive with the others, and when I added the Powerwalls Tesla was the cheapest overall.

My current system was set to offset me 74% when we started my system design. We made some changes, had a Nest installed, and will be pretty dang close to 100% now. I think 9/12 months we'll be off grid, with the other 3 pretty close to 100%. We plan to update our AC in the future (central air unit 15 years old), so when we do that I have no doubt we'll be off grid all months.

Definitely shop around, because I was almost one of those suckers that was going to be paying $3.66 per watt had I went with Vivint Solar.
Smashed Ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:25   #258
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Who did you go with for the Tesla setup? How did you find them? I would be interested to know and see if anyone around here is doing that.

Found it. Solar city is Tesla.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; Yesterday at 21:35.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:35   #259
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post
I just had a 15.84 kW system installed with 2 Powerwalls via Tesla about a week ago. I think I paid about $2.56 per watt, and $1.79 after 30% tax credit. I'm in central FL. I would love to get an electric car, but I'm still waiting for something that doesn't look horrible, but gets good range.

I want a Tesla Model S, but they are way out of my range.
WOW. That is a killer deal. ~$2.50/w is really the price to beat these days. ~$3/w isn't too bad for smaller systems <10kW; You'll be enjoying those powerwalls if you take a hit from a hurricane.

You don't like the Tesla 3?
Old Yesterday, 21:48   #260
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Where's a good source for bargains on monocrystalline panels? The best I found with a cursory search was about $.60/ watt. Any brands to avoid?
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:53   #261
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashed Ixnay View Post

I want a Tesla Model S, but they are way out of my range. The only other I'd consider would be a Nissan Leaf, but I'm not a fan of the looks. I'll wait a few more years at earliest before I consider one. Hopefully the charging stations will be more ready available then.

Solar can save you money, if you only get solar. You just gotta shop around. Had one company try to sell me an 11.6kW system for $42,500. That only offset me about 44%, so I'd still have a huge electric bill on top of that. Solar would have been $184, and my electric would have run probably another $200+-. I'm all for saving the environment, but I don't have money to throw away. That'd of been an extra $100 on top of my monthly average. I could have saved another $2k on just solar panels, but Tesla was pretty competitive with the others, and when I added the Powerwalls Tesla was the cheapest overall.

My current system was set to offset me 74% when we started my system design. We made some changes, had a Nest installed, and will be pretty dang close to 100% now. I think 9/12 months we'll be off grid, with the other 3 pretty close to 100%. We plan to update our AC in the future (central air unit 15 years old), so when we do that I have no doubt we'll be off grid all months.

Definitely shop around, because I was almost one of those suckers that was going to be paying $3.66 per watt had I went with Vivint Solar.
If I could find a deal like this I might even change over. The AC really makes it take a hit it shows on the Tesla page. 1 day with AC and 4 days without.
Old Yesterday, 22:12   #262
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Where's a good source for bargains on monocrystalline panels? The best I found with a cursory search was about $.60/ watt. Any brands to avoid?
Sun Electronics usually has the best prices but their customer service sucks so you need to be patient. I've seen panels dip as low as ~$0.30/w.

The last batch of panels we bought were Mission Solar through Eco Pro. We got those for $0.48/w.

From what I've seen there's not much difference between brands with the exception of LG and Sun Power. Their back contact cells are the creme de la creme but they're >2x more $$$ and not worth the premium IMO.