05 Passat Trans Issues

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Last week out of the blue the reverse is acting up. Upon initial start I put in reverse and nothing, rev engine and nothing. When it comes to idle it acts like it wants to grab but as soon as I give it throttle, nothing. At first I thought it may have something to do with cold weather (but the 30*F we call cold here in La is nothing for most of you guys). Drove truck to work.

I managed to push it backwards in driveway to get enough room to go forwards and took it for a drive and the forward works fine, no issues. But no reverse. The more I played with it I discovered that when putting into reverse it takes about 1.5 secs to 2 secs to engage in reverse. If left idling it will go backwards. As soon as any throttle is given it releases and nothing, but when the rpms get back down to idle it re-engages into reverse. I did this about 20 times to confirm.

Car currently has 243k. I purchased at 227k. I have records from previous owner and the transmission was rebuilt/replaced at around 150k miles. I know that I haven't serviced the trans since I bought it and I think it would be a fair guess that it wasn't serviced since the rebuild. So it currently has approx. 93k on the rebuilt trans/fluids. I was thinking given the slow engagement and the release with throttle that it could be low line pressure, which could mean either low fluid or plugged filter. I don't see fluid in driveway at home nor in parking spot at work so I don't think its losing fluid, must be a filter. Planning to drop the pan, change filter, and refill with new fluid. Have to wait til the weekend so that the lift is available at a buddies house.

Given the symptoms presented, does it sound like im going down the right path? Is there something else I should be concerned with or look at? Again, any insight and information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
It's the beginning of the end for the transmission. You can still drive it without using reverse but be prepared that it will die. My car had this problem and the previous owner just drove it until the transmission died. He got 2 years out of it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Time to drop over 3k for a new tranny/tc combo from vw or spend about the same to do a 5 speed conversion.

Or get AAA towing coverage. Park where you wont need reverse and drive it til its dead.

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
okay, I have had zero luck finding anyone in my area that works on VW trans without going to the dealer. I am in southwest Louisiana. Thinking I may have to get closer to the Houston area to find anyone that may work on these models. Anybody got a shop that they would recommend? Thanks.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
I don't believe there is a shop who can successfully rebuild your trans, this is the consensus of, I believe, all of the members of this forum. The rebuilder must be trained to work on this trans, think its ZF certified.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
For about 3500 to 4k you can order a new transmission and torque converter from vw. If you cant install yourself hit up the board for a local indy shop that can do it.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Car currently has 243k. I purchased at 227k. I have records from previous owner and the transmission was rebuilt/replaced at around 150k miles
Did you make a long distance purchase, or local? What about the shop that rebuilt the transmission?

90,000+ miles on a rebuild is pretty good, compared to the horror stories others have posted here about local shop rebuilds. Hell, some of the original VAG installed transmissions from the factory haven't done much better. Sounds like this shop that did the rebuild is pretty competent.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
90k on a rebuild transmission is awful. These transmissions are known to last over 200k if they are properly serviced every 30k. Furthermore, a zf shop would know the parts to upgrade on this transmission during the rebuild to make it potentially last longer than the original.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Eriksson industries in Old Saybrook Ct charge in the lower to mid 2K range. Their work is superlative quality.

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Did you make a long distance purchase, or local? What about the shop that rebuilt the transmission?

90,000+ miles on a rebuild is pretty good, compared to the horror stories others have posted here about local shop rebuilds. Hell, some of the original VAG installed transmissions from the factory haven't done much better. Sounds like this shop that did the rebuild is pretty competent.
I am the 4th owner of car. Original owner kept meticulous records of the car and I have all the receipts of work done on the car from transmission to oil changes to brakes, etc. However, the original owner was in Michigan along with those previous repair shops. That's not exactly a skip and a jump from the Gulf Coast. Car started in Michigan, then Texas, then that guys brother bought it in LA, and now I have it.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
bring your vin, your old trans and $3300 to Archer VW, beltway 8 and 59, in Houston, call first make sure they ;have one.

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
got one for sale...came out of a 6 speed swapped,had about 95k miles when taken out...would recommend you do the torque conveter upgrade before installing...im in houston,selling it cheap...contact me at cbalbontin@aol.com....$500.00

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys, i appreciate all the information, thought i would follow up on my situation. Given that i couldn't find a trans shop anywhere within 100 miles to work on my trans besides the dealers, and given the costs associated with dealer replacements, figured it was gonna cost me between 4-5k to fix my issue and alleviate my concerns. So I took this busted unit along with the estimated (my own estimate) $5k it would have cost me, and i put that money down on a 2015 Passat SEL. Picked up this weekend. So i did the ole remove the fuel cap and drive a new car under it and replace cap. Works every time. Thanks to everyone here that assisted in my questions, and Im sure to see some over in the newer Passat threads.

Before..

After...

cb1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat wagon
how much did you get in trade in value if you dont mind telling me??or do you still have it??

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Long story short, they gave me a $1000 trade in. Its at VW of Lake Charles, i dropped it off Friday 5/3 around noon.