www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 10th, 2019, 23:07   #1
kiddosjetta

Fuel Economy: 38.2
Default Strange "rattle" 2012 jetta tdi

The daughter's jetta just recently started w a rattle sound that I can't figure out. Before I head into the stealership I thought I'd ask you guys and gals. 2012 automatic 6 speed TDI w 135000 miles on her. Recently when the car is warmed up & she gets into that 35 - 45 mph area while travelling strait and comes off the throttle there is a rattle/vibration that sounds like it is located low on just the other side of the firewall possibly to the middle/right side that w any steering input right or left will go away. I cant feel it through the wheel or gear selector at all and couldn't finding anything loose when I put her up on the stands.
All my years of driving this is the first issue I really am clueless on... it is of course the first VW I've ever dealt with also lol. Since the child bought the Jetta though I've been living and learning every day about German engineering 😁😁
I have a video that you can hear the sound in I just don't know how to upload it.
Thanks for any and all help!!
kiddosjetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 10:12   #2
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Heat shields are famous for this.
BobnOH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 11:06   #3
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

I second this ^^^
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 13:37   #4
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Heat shields always need checked, especially the exhaust heat shields under the center.
Another that'll drive ya crazy is the sunroof. The torx screws get loose and the frame vibrates. Push against the window to see if it stops.
Occasionally there's something in the glove box that likes to vibrate.
I recommend putting it on jack stands and revving the engine to see if you can recreate the sound.
Lastly, double check that any components in the firewall aren't vibrating.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Wuzetem p.520 PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 14:02   #5
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

Had a look at my bosses Jetta a few years ago as he had the same thing and found a stick lodged between the frame and the heat shield that resonated at a certain speed. Drove him nuts. So I put cable ties on his driveshaft week after
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 20:45   #6
kiddosjetta

Thank you all!! Will give the shields a more in depth look
Old September 11th, 2019, 20:46   #7
kiddosjetta

@Dannyboy that's heartless ��������